4L80e Build for 550hp

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Just like the LS series motors, a factory build is going to be far more reliable if left alone. Obviously if the trans had a butt load of miles(200k+) it's a good idea to freshen it up but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a low miles trans as is with a shift kit and converter they are much stronger than trans from the 90s and older. When it comes to the 80e I wouldn't get anything older than an 04 as well. The older ones had some issues.

Looks like the one Rick has is under the 200k mark. Still up in the air if we should rebuild it or just put it in an send it. Likely will do a refresh just so we don't have any issues. Rick's is an 08 out of a van so it should be about as stout as a stock 4L80e gets.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
imho, build it cheap if your dad drives like you say. let it kill clutches and not hard parts. you will be back in that thing a few times regardless how its built

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My :2cents: I wouldn't use the HD2 kit. They are known to have issues. I would do a Sonnax Sure Cure kit, line pressure booster, overrun clutch valve (unless your dad is going to pull the shifter down in D every time he wants to stomp on it), and dual feed the intermediate clutch. You can throw some fresh stock clutches in it while it is apart if you want, and it will last a long time like that with a good converter.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My :2cents: I wouldn't use the HD2 kit. They are known to have issues. I would do a Sonnax Sure Cure kit, line pressure booster, overrun clutch valve (unless your dad is going to pull the shifter down in D every time he wants to stomp on it), and dual feed the intermediate clutch. You can throw some fresh stock clutches in it while it is apart if you want, and it will last a long time like that with a good converter.

Thank you for the input. The cost delta from an oe rebuild to say a raybestos stage 1 is around $100 online. Is it still a good idea to upgrade to the dmax trans? My cores are a 92 4x4 and a 96 2wd. I feel like the upgrades in the newer trans is worth it as a starting point.

I can 1000% guarantee he will just mat it in OD and let it shift.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have never heard about issues with the HD2 kit. Maybe it's an issue behind a dmax but in the LS world it's praised by everyone for being a good kit.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The MN8 RPO is the 4l85e trans, they came behind 8.1's in Avalanche's and Suburban's, some 4.8's and 6.0's in vans(mostly the cutaway's) and the Duramax van. Do not get one with a parking brake on it as it will have straight cut gears(weaker and noisy). I would avoid the 91-93 models as they had some unique parts in them.

As to converting a 2 wheel drive to 4x4, it could be incredibly easy, or a bit more work. If it's one with a fully splined output shaft, you can cut it with a cutoff wheel, bolt an extension housing on it, and go. If it is setup for a bolt on yoke, then you have to swap output shafts. FYI, all 2 wheel drive 4l80e outputs are drilled(learned this one the hard way), you have to pull the housing to check it. Since this is in a swap, I would get a 4l80e with both an input and output speed sensor. 94+ 4x4 4l80e's do not have a reluctor installed in them for an output speed sensor, they used the transfer case mounted sensor. Sonnax sells a replacement reluctor that is fairly cheap, so you can add it to your trans if needed. This allows you to run whatever transfer case you want and not have to run one with a 40 tooth reluctor and magnetic speed sensor.

As to clutches, the raybestos and alto red's are said to hold well, but if they get slipped just slightly, they're toast. Everything I've read in the LS forums and other places says the late model borg warner high energy clutches are the best all around for holding as well as longevity. Dual feed the direct clutches internally, put the heavier direct clutch springs in, put a thicker intermediate snap ring in it, use the sonnax self regulating boost valve, a tcc valve with a seal(transgo has one with stock lockup, firmer lockup, or on off, sonnax also makes one), the sonnax over-run kit Mike talked about only works on 97+, do the transgo afl valve, as well as all the bushings(I use the sonnax wide stator support bushing). I would rollerize the output and forward hub, but it's not neccesary. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but these are some biggies I've picked up on from the few I've done.

As to the HD2 kit, the pressure relief valve they include is not the best, and has proven to be slow to open if it does open for high line pressure. I know I had problems with high line pressure on the one I did at Christmas that ended up being the boost valve, had 80 psi idling in D, went to 175+ in reverse(max line pressure, pump whined like crazy), putting stock springs in the boost valve made it acceptable, but still not what I would have liked, and the sandwiched separator plate is a nice workaround to dual feed the direct without teardown, but if you have it apart why not do it internally instead of a workaround.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm not saying you're wrong but I have never heard about issues with the HD2 kit. Maybe it's an issue behind a dmax but in the LS world it's praised by everyone for being a good kit.

I agree. I've been using them since they first came out without problems. I would also use the Transgo actuator limit valve kit. If that bore is worn out, any build will fail no matter who built it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've just heard of a lot of issues with crossleaks because of the stacked plate design they use to dual feed the clutch.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
The stacked plate and the pressure relief valve will stick in an hd2 kit every time. Much better way to dual feed the directs

Like Mike said, the AFL valve is a known problem don’t waste time vacuum testing just ream it. At 550whp you’ll want 180psi line. Sonnax lb1 will be your friend.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So far I'm gathering the following:

1) Good triple disk converter (FTI, Circle D, Pro Torque)
2) Sonnax overrun kit (34200-40K)
3) Sonnax "Sure Cure" kit (seems to be AFL, TCC reg, and boost valve all in one package plus some extra) (SC-4L80E)
6) Sonnax line pressure booster kit (4L80E-LB1)
7) Sonnax tool kit for AFL (77754-TL)
8) Dual feed the intermediate clutches internally
9) Rebuild with borg warner high energy clutches

As for the tone wheel question, I am planning on using the adapter kit from 4L80E 4x4 to NP205 from Advance Adapters which includes a tone wheel on the input of the NP205. With that said, I don't think it makes much of a difference which way I handle the rear speed sensor it as long as there is a reliable signal to the Holley ECU/TCU.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
The borg Warner’s are the factory frictions. You dual feed the directs not the intermediate. Use forward steels in the direct drum and you’ll get 6 frictions instead of 5. Drill a .062 hole in the bottom of the direct drum under the piston to prevent centrifugal apply...drill the line to lube hole in the pump or get the sonnax pr valve so the aftermarket converter apply clutch won’t drag etc.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The borg Warner’s are the factory frictions. You dual feed the directs not the intermediate. Use forward steels in the direct drum and you’ll get 6 frictions instead of 5. Drill a .062 hole in the bottom of the direct drum under the piston to prevent centrifugal apply...drill the line to lube hole in the pump or get the sonnax pr valve so the aftermarket converter apply clutch won’t drag etc.

Thank you! I'll end up using the Sonnax 34200-14K for that.

Honestly it looks like Jake's Performance offers a pretty good kit with their "stage 2" rebuild kit that has just about everything but pressure/flow mods. Comes with high energy frictions, steels, bonded pistons, and an additional friction for direct. Also includes new bands, filter, bushing kit, thrust washer kit, new boost valve and pressure reg spring, new internal harness, shift solenoids, pressure manifold switch, HD intermediate snap ring, rear torrington bearing, machined forward hub with torrington bearing, 34 element sprag, and some instructions to make your own hydraulic improvements (I'll end up using the Sonnax parts for that).