3500 DRW Rear GAWR

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Just watch those Ram ratings. Them and Ford have both had frame bending issues. RAM has been the worse it sounds like. It sounds like they have even derated their GVWR from what it was on their web site. It might have just been a mistake that they over rated them and made a correction.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just watch those Ram ratings. Them and Ford have both had frame bending issues. RAM has been the worse it sounds like. It sounds like they have even derated their GVWR from what it was on their web site. It might have just been a mistake that they over rated them and made a correction.
These are all over the net. Don't see much GM/Chevy with this issue

Ram-Snapped-1-1-1024x576.jpg

Reactions: wydopenLb7

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Im gonna go out to a couple of dealerships today and compare rear GAWR between the 3 brands and see how far apart they are.

Obviously, I'm a Chevy guy and would prefer to stick with GM trucks, but Im not too sure about hauling heavy with an auto trans constantly. Even with an ally.

I do my own work on my trucks, so I stay away from the Ford cause just looking under the hood they look like royal pains in the rear to work on.

My three attention grabbers with the Rams are the easy to work on cummins, the manual option on pre-2018 trucks, and the rear end rating. I believe they have the highest of all three. All the Rams I have considered are manual, I want nothing to do with the 68rfe. Have had nothing but issues with that trans on my buddy's truck.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im gonna go out to a couple of dealerships today and compare rear GAWR between the 3 brands and see how far apart they are.

Obviously, I'm a Chevy guy and would prefer to stick with GM trucks, but Im not too sure about hauling heavy with an auto trans constantly. Even with an ally.

I do my own work on my trucks, so I stay away from the Ford cause just looking under the hood they look like royal pains in the rear to work on.

My three attention grabbers with the Rams are the easy to work on cummins, the manual option on pre-2018 trucks, and the rear end rating. I believe they have the highest of all three. All the Rams I have considered are manual, I want nothing to do with the 68rfe. Have had nothing but issues with that trans on my buddy's truck.

After having turned wrenches on all 3 mfg, don’t be fooled by the straight 6, ford or Chevy. All 3 trucks are a pain to work on because all 3 have failure points that in the most inconvenient area.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would have zero concern about hauling heavy with a 6 speed Allison as long as the power isn't turned up a bunch. The 68RFE I wouldn't trust with a stock tune. The clutch they use in the manual transmission Rams slips with a small tow tune. The Aisin used in cab and chassis and the high output 3500 trucks seems pretty solid from what I've seen.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
The reason hotshotters remove the bed is for length. Standard hotshot trailer length is 40 feet. With these new CCLB trucks being longer than ever, it puts them over 65 feet total length. Remove the bed and the pickup truck becomes a tractor and they can then be over 65 feet long.

Reactions: Dozerboy

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Well, I went to the dealers yesterday and gotta say I'm both surprised and pleased by what I saw.

It takes an F-450 cab and chassis truck to beat a GM 3500 in specs.

On the latest model 1 ton trucks, here are the numbers for trucks sitting at the lot.

23 Ram 3500 DRW 9,750 lbs rear GAWR
23 Ford F-350 DRW 9,900 lbs rear GAWR
22 Ford F-450 cab/chassis 12,880 lbs
23 Silverado 3500 DRW 10,400 lbs

Also saw a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, the last year of the 6 speed manual, and it had 9,750 lbs on the sticker. Slightly higher than a similar year GM's 9,375, but those are also the years they had the frame crack and bend issues.

So it seems that the GM trucks are a very solid choice for maxing out legal carrying capacity.

Reactions: 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I would have zero concern about hauling heavy with a 6 speed Allison as long as the power isn't turned up a bunch. The 68RFE I wouldn't trust with a stock tune. The clutch they use in the manual transmission Rams slips with a small tow tune. The Aisin used in cab and chassis and the high output 3500 trucks seems pretty solid from what I've seen.

Oh come on now, Dodge guys say the 68RFE will handle 500hp with just trans tunes!

And the G56 trucks will probably NEED a tune, slugs compared to the auto trucks. My brother was fairly disappointed in his 2018 after coming from a 2015 LML