2nd gear start tcm tune

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i was just thinking the same! i stall it to about 2000-2100 in my truck and its a hand full from there!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I bet that's a hell of a combination. The G converter couples standing still. 2nd gear launch will get the power to the ground fast.:thumb:

I absolutely love it with my setup, it's straight torque when you add fuel to it. I keep thinking I want to switch to the R but I love how it is now so I see no reason to at this point. Plus this has been the most reliable converter I have ever had, I have flogged the fn shit out of it without a single issue.:thumb:

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
So Mark are you locking your converter right out of the hole . Are you running a lock box on auto or do you manually lock it as soon as you cut the truck loose ?

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I figure if the manual lockup on the BT Lockup Box reacts instantly, I may be able to trim up on that 1.44 60'. No way to know unless I try it . Weather permitting when I go to the track this Friday I'll do a test hit in the same Tune 3 that netted the 1.44 60' but do a manual lockup as my foot is headed to the floorboard instead of waiting for the auto mode to lock it up 20--30' out . My Brother says I can't beat the electronic auto mode . I'm Hell Bent on Proving Him Wrong . My common sense has been spot on so far . Hopefully I'm right again . I'm shooting for a 60' in the 1.3s . I think Mighty Max has it in her . Lol

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
I figure if the manual lockup on the BT Lockup Box reacts instantly, I may be able to trim up on that 1.44 60'. No way to know unless I try it . Weather permitting when I go to the track this Friday I'll do a test hit in the same Tune 3 that netted the 1.44 60' but do a manual lockup as my foot is headed to the floorboard instead of waiting for the auto mode to lock it up 20--30' out . My Brother says I can't beat the electronic auto mode . I'm Hell Bent on Proving Him Wrong . My common sense has been spot on so far . Hopefully I'm right again . I'm shooting for a 60' in the 1.3s . I think Mighty Max has it in her . Lol

Nice times Elvis. Your build has come a long way!

Take a look at your logs and see how long it takes to reach full throttle, command lockup, hit full lockup, etc. I am showing it takes about .15-.35 seconds to reach 100% throttle. My auto lockup box commands lockup around .8 seconds after the launch or 20mph or so. It takes .35 seconds to fully lock. The 2nd gear shift begins around 1.6 seconds after launch. This all depends on the power level, launch rpms, etc. An example of my data is below so I can see my splits and how the trans is doing. I did not run to 5th gear on this log but it is a decent idea of what is happening.

LBZ%20Trans%20Logs_zps4nbogij4.png

Last edited:

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Coker , you mentioned the 2nd gear shift , are you forgetting I'm doing a 2nd gear start ? Plus I'll be 100% honest with you , I don't even own a V2 to be able to log anything. My friend Quinton is my techy guy . Lol. He has loaded all my tunes from Mark as we've gotten updates from Mark . He also setup the 2nd gear start on the TCM helped me trouble shot some issues I was having when I first started the truck . He has been a huge help ! Could not have done it without him .My Thanks go out to him as well as the excellent service from Mark @ DP . Barring any issues and weather permitting we should see a 9 on fuel only this Friday at TX Motorplex . Wish Us Luck !

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Coker , you mentioned the 2nd gear shift , are you forgetting I'm doing a 2nd gear start ? Plus I'll be 100% honest with you , I don't even own a V2 to be able to log anything. My friend Quinton is my techy guy . Lol. He has loaded all my tunes from Mark as we've gotten updates from Mark . He also setup the 2nd gear start on the TCM helped me trouble shot some issues I was having when I first started the truck . He has been a huge help ! Could not have done it without him .My Thanks go out to him as well as the excellent service from Mark @ DP . Barring any issues and weather permitting we should see a 9 on fuel only this Friday at TX Motorplex . Wish Us Luck !

Na, just using it as a reference. I like data to back up what is actually going on. I will have to try out a 2nd gear start tune one of these days.

Good luck Friday if yall make it. Wish we could go as well. I have been itching to get a 10 sec slip but it looks like I will have to wait until next year with the weather we are having out here.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
So Coker , what's your best time to date ?

I ran last weekend in Amarillo. No track prep on Nitto 420's, light sprinkle of rain, no TQ lockup, spun through 2nd, and managed an 11.05 @ 125 before the rain finally set in. Only made that 1 pass on the bigger tune. That is the only time I have been to the track for a time slip but at least we have an idea of what it is doing.

That track was terrible though. It made Little River look like an NHRA sanctioned track! LOL

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Sounds like she's got an easy 10 in her . Wish you could come out to Ennis this Friday . Little River ---- at least that track is sticky. Lol

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
I have been trying to make a trip to Ennis for 2 months but can't seem to find the time. ONE of these days I will make it though. Hopefully we will be ready for the NHRDA season next year so we can make a couple of events with you guys.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Honestly I don't Bracket race . I just go race for fun heads up . Drive it on the street too . Who knows maybe next year I might give it a shot

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Got around to play with my 2nd gear launches last night. I can stall this 1055 to 2800 and hold steady at 32psi. Barely breaks loose the tires but it leaves very very smooth. This converter couples rather well too.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Did you do test hits on the street or the track ? If you did it on the street and it spun just a little it may not spin at all on the track . So leaving at 32 PSI that should be moving on out !!!!!

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Street full weight on 20s. It moved out extremely well too. If i adjusted my shocks it wouldn't of spun the tires. I have them set up for daily driving. So much easier to spool and stage (practicing on street). I love it

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Awesome . It's like I said before , mine likes it better the more power I add to it . Mine netted the 1.44 60' on Tune 3. I can't wait to see what it does in Tune 5 tomorrow night at Ennis Tx .I think that if the tires hold I should see a 60' in the 1.3s. It's in the 50s--60s in the evening so the cooler weather will help too .