2nd gear start tcm tune

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Started reading up on 2nd gear start tunes to help out at the track for allisons short first gear.

My best 60' so far is a 1.68 which isn't bad in my opinion. Even with the new brakes on the truck I can definitely launch harder but still can't get it where I want without wanting to pull through the brakes.

Last night decided to make a 2nd gear start tcm tune while in tow/haul. Well all I can say is 2nd gear seems to work rather well. With my suncoast 1053-1 converter, I can stall it to 3500rpm without the truck even slightly budging on the line. Can make 40+ psi boost while sitting perfectly still. The launches get a little wild though, launching at 3000 rpm and hitting lockup early results in the truck going sideways and smoke off all 4 tires.

Still trying to time lockup just right so I don't spin uncontrollably, but from what I can see testing it on the street, it will work rather nice. Now if i could get my hands on a set of slicks...

If anyone else has issues holding the truck back on the line, I'd recommend trying a 2nd gear start tune. Next races aren't till September 11th dangit.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I had very good luck with mine as well. The truck definitely leaves much smoother but I have heard of guys burning up converters if they are staged too long.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I had very good luck with mine as well. The truck definitely leaves much smoother but I have heard of guys burning up converters if they are staged too long.

Evan mentioned as long as your not sitting on the converter for awhile, things will be fine. Sometimes it's hard waiting for slow poke next to you to stage though.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Evan mentioned as long as your not sitting on the converter for awhile, things will be fine. Sometimes it's hard waiting for slow poke next to you to stage though.

thats when the "brian staging" comes into play. let the kid take forever to stage while your off boost, then once the lights hit, boost up and launch after they are gone. i always gave him crap for it but it aint a bad idea at test and tune

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
That us why you let the other guy light both bulbs first. Then you can control the situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
That us why you let the other guy light both bulbs first. Then you can control the situation.

We have 10 seconds to stage once the other guy has lit both bulbs. So sometimes that doesn't work. If everyone would courtesy stage, it would be fine. But 80% or people at the track don't have a clue.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
We have 10 seconds to stage once the other guy has lit both bulbs. So sometimes that doesn't work. If everyone would courtesy stage, it would be fine. But 80% or people at the track don't have a clue.
Exactly, so you control how much of that ten seconds you use. You don't want to be on the convertor for 10 seconds. If you make a habit of that your convertor will make a premature exit.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I prestage, start building boost once the other guy full stages, then bump in to full stage.

Usually only on the converter for about 5 seconds. I may try a second gear launch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Same thing that usually do as well but making boost as I bump in so that am lit and ready to go.

Last edited:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
It takes 3 stage bulbs to light before auto start activates. Only 2 lit, take your time unless you were the one that wasn't courteous.

You will burn up a converter at some point.

Using for a best ET on a slick track or to win an event is worth it. Living by a second gear launch because of lack of truck set-up will become expensive.

Just my .02 from experience.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I prestage, start building boost once the other guy full stages, then bump in to full stage.

Usually only on the converter for about 5 seconds. I may try a second gear launch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I love when my opponent does this. Really comes down to the type of truck. Street trucks can do this, I like to have some boost up even if driving a 11 second truck.

10 second trucks and faster, you should be on some boost before pre staging.
Watch last weeks race when a truck staged this way. Scroll down to Sat4, Fast forward to 1 hour 31 minutes. http://www.nhrda.com/media_videos.php

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It takes 3 stage bulbs to light before auto start activates. Only 2 lit, take your time unless you were the one that wasn't courteous.

Using for a best ET on a slick track or to win an event is worth it. Living by a second gear launch because of lack of truck set-up will become expensive.

Agreed

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Yep.