2020 hd

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Looks like GM finally stepped up to the plate.

3f51489bbf52f7db9c20afcf2e94740d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
is it just me or does that transmission seem a lot bigger

I’m not sure about the GM, but Ford just released the 2020 SD and their new 10 speed is the same size as the 6 and only weighs 3.5 pounds more. I would imagine it would be the same for the new GM, I mean “Allison” tranny. . . . .

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Wow, seems like extra stress added to the differential. I know with all these 8 and 10 speed trannys the final drive ratio is usually raised, but on a truck I’d think you’d want to stick with 3.73 and adjust the trans gearing accordingly, but I’m sure the engineers know what they’re doing. . . . .

What’s a 12 ring gear? You mean a 12 inch ring gear?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I’m not sure about the GM, but Ford just released the 2020 SD and their new 10 speed is the same size as the 6 and only weighs 3.5 pounds more. I would imagine it would be the same for the new GM, I mean “Allison” tranny. . . . .
Probably because the Ford transmission was longer to begin with. I know with the 5 speed in the 6.4's, they are 3 inches longer than the Allison. But it does look like the Transfer Case is cast as part of the rear cover, vs a bolt on to a normal transmission, like it has been done in the past.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Probably because the Ford transmission was longer to begin with. I know with the 5 speed in the 6.4's, they are 3 inches longer than the Allison. But it does look like the Transfer Case is cast as part of the rear cover, vs a bolt on to a normal transmission, like it has been done in the past.

It’s bolted on. There is a clear blot pattern on the rear tail housing of the transmission. Tried to take a screen shot but can’t upload it here

Last edited:

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I’m still extremely nervous about the Autotrac...
Just more clutches to burn up :mad:

I wouldn't be, I've done some fairly silly things with mine and haven't burned up my clutches and I'm only at 1k ft lbs at the wheels. Mind you mine is just a modified 246 that came on half tons too, not purposely built like this one.