2.5 VNT Turbo Options 2023

What turbos should I invest in to test for max effort 2.5 "workstock" class

• Work 64.7mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RDS 64mm

• JEB 63.5mm off the shelf, but will make custom options with minimum order of 5

• literally anything else under $3500 and that will not blow up on the first test - make suggestions

• Total voters

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've run a bunch of different workstock chargers on my trucks and customers' trucks over 10 years, but as we all know, the sport evolves, and it has been a couple years since I tried something new in this realm. I don't expect the guys who are super competitive in these classes to give up their secret sauce, if they are even part of this community. I do want up-to-date (since 2022) suggestions and feedback on the poll options and others not listed. Testing will be completed over the winter on the same chassis dyno with my stock engine LBZ with 10mmcp3 and 150% s&s injectors.

P.S. Peak HP is not my main concern. And yes, I realize there are many variables to try and control here...

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Stainless Diesel turbos any good?

What turbos do you normally install for customers?

I've never run one of their VNT chargers, I'll add it to the poll. I think some of their chargers are great, but other than their S485 back a couple years ago, I don't see any of their other turbos winning competitions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've run JEB, Fleece, Danville, Midwest/CRT and RDS in customers trucks. JEB made the most power from an off-the-shelf option that I've seen, but it wasn't really apples to apples comparison either.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I didn't realize JEB was in Ohio... cool. Also I don't see vnt options on their website, have any info off hand?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We've installed a few RDS L5P turbos, and other than spotty reliability, they've performed well. FWIW, they have taken care of any failures we have seen, but that doesn't make it less annoying to have to remove a turbo that was recently installed.

Reactions: juddski88

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Yeah, I haven't been impressed with their reliability either, though I haven't personally witnessed reliability issues with their smaller wheel option Garrett turbos.

We've installed a few RDS L5P turbos, and other than spotty reliability, they've performed well. FWIW, they have taken care of any failures we have seen, but that doesn't make it less annoying to have to remove a turbo that was recently installed.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
How about Dan's? I've run 3 different Dans vgts with great luck. Still have the 66 in my LBZ and it's has the crap beat out of it. I've had bad luck with RDS so I stay away anymore.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've been running JZ Mfg. They were heavily involved in building the Danville charger line. They've been rock solid for us and taken care of the 1 issue I did have which was a 9 blade turbine unit. They offer a 63.5/66 as well as 65/66 and 68 stage 2r style unit.

Since then he refuses to use 9 blade turbines due to their extremely inconsistent quality.

He has mentioned about desiring to make a dedicated work stock VGT. I'll shoot him a message to see if he still wants to.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
How about Dan's? I've run 3 different Dans vgts with great luck. Still have the 66 in my LBZ and it's has the crap beat out of it. I've had bad luck with RDS so I stay away anymore.

Has his stuff been competitive outside of backyard pulls, anywhere, ever? That sounds snarky, but I'm genuinely curious. I've stayed away from his clickbait crap since it's inception.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I voted Midwest. Simply because it's the cheapest 64mm from what I see. Hey Tim how much are these going to be selling for after you get done testing :p

Depends how they look upon post-beating inspection. My intent is to try and kill the turbo, within reason, or scatter my stock engine, whichever comes first. My goal here is to partner with a manufacturer, or team of manufacturers, and other enthusiasts to bring a 850-950hp workstock 2.5 gt37/gt40 frame turbo to the market for $3500 retail. I think that these older duramaxes need as much help as they can get competing against the newer generation trucks with less money invested in their powerplants. I personally would rather own, drive, and compete with a pre-2011ish truck, and I think I'm definitely not alone.

Reactions: SmokeShow

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I believe RDS runs the largest Turbine wheel in todays 68-72mm model VVT's on the market? There 72 runs a 79.5x72.5 turbine wheel on there site

I wonder if they would build you a competition 9 blade 64/71 or 64/72.5 with all the bells and whistles to compete with?

And while talking about the bigger VVT's what's the inside scoop on the high flow vanes? I read where some say the vane size plays a big roll in how it reposes/turbo lag and possibly power output? I think the L5P runs a 9mm vane but it's also electronically controlled

LLY 15mm
LBZ 13.2mm
LMM 12.2mm
LML 11.2mm
I'm not sure if these numbers are 100%

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I believe RDS runs the largest Turbine wheel in todays 68-72mm model VVT's on the market? There 72 runs a 79.5x72.5 turbine wheel on there site

I wonder if they would build you a competition 9 blade 64/71 or 64/72.5 with all the bells and whistles to compete with?

And while talking about the bigger VVT's what's the inside scoop on the high flow vanes? I read where some say the vane size plays a big roll in how it reposes/turbo lag and possibly power output? I think the L5P runs a 9mm vane but it's also electronically controlled

LLY 15mm
LBZ 13.2mm
LMM 12.2mm
LML 11.2mm
I'm not sure if these numbers are 100%
At the moment I wouldn't trust a 9 blade as far as I can throw them. Every builder is having major inconsistency issues with them as they all seem to get them from the same supplier. This is happening with Stainless, RDS, and a few others who constantly push 9 blade turbines.

N_FL_LBZ

Feb 6, 2023
FL
At the moment I wouldn't trust a 9 blade as far as I can throw them. Every builder is having major inconsistency issues with them as they all seem to get them from the same supplier. This is happening with Stainless, RDS, and a few others who constantly push 9 blade turbines.
Do you mind elaborating on the inconsistencies with the 9 blades? Recently installed the 68mm 9 blade from Stainless.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Do you mind elaborating on the inconsistencies with the 9 blades? Recently installed the 68mm 9 blade from Stainless.

I won't speak for Brad, but unfortunately even the largest of manufacturers often release products to market with little to no qc, and turbine products require extremely precise tolerances and process controls. There have been numerous bad batches of wheels and shafts from Garrett, Borg, and Holset through the years with very little repercussion. There are very very few custom turbo manufacturers with enough pull with Garrett, for instance, to get reimbursed for a failed core that cost them $700. Multiply that by hundreds and thousands of failing cores and everyone starts losing money really quickly.

This is why 99% of turbos you buy come with either no warranty or a very very strict warranty policy. A lot of stress can be placed on the rotating assembly at 100k rpm in less than a blink of an eye.

Reactions: N_FL_LBZ

N_FL_LBZ

Feb 6, 2023
FL
I won't speak for Brad, but unfortunately even the largest of manufacturers often release products to market with little to no qc, and turbine products require extremely precise tolerances and process controls. There have been numerous bad batches of wheels and shafts from Garrett, Borg, and Holset through the years with very little repercussion. There are very very few custom turbo manufacturers with enough pull with Garrett, for instance, to get reimbursed for a failed core that cost them $700. Multiply that by hundreds and thousands of failing cores and everyone starts losing money really quickly.

This is why 99% of turbos you buy come with either no warranty or a very very strict warranty policy. A lot of stress can be placed on the rotating assembly at 100k rpm in less than a blink of an eye.
Appreciate the response, did some searching on the web and forums and couldn’t find a whole lot on failures. At this point I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope I got one made on a Thursday lol.

So far it’s been good though, haven’t beat on it hard as I’m breaking in my motor and just did a few 4th gear pulls on my #4 tune. Not nearly as laggy as I anticipated, Mark did a good job getting her to spool up.

If it gives me any issues down the road, I’ll make sure to share. Have a good one.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
They would start burning oil, they'd fail by either snapping or melting etc. The issue is 1000% the turbines. The 10 blade units don't have that issue as they're far more proven and consistent.

The 9 blades are simply so new that the process for them isn't perfected yet which leads to large variances.

Reactions: N_FL_LBZ