13.69 First Timer

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Well I made it to great lakes dragway today to do some 1/4 times.

It was my first time ever running the 1/4 mile so I really didnt know what to expect.

My first run I was up against a Kia Rio. I didnt get the truck spooled up, slept on the line and the engine shutdown before 1,000'. I netted a 2.02 60' and a 14.7 1/4 at 73mph I believe.

The next run I was against really strong running Rat Rod that had a sign on the trailer that said it was the fastest of its kind in the world but that may have been his other car or something.

He broke at 60'. I took time to spool my truck up and dropped my 60' to 1.96. But again coasted through to the finish with a high 13 second pass.

My next run was against a 350Z, I spooled it up and slept on the line, netted a 1.9 60' again and coasted through to the finish with a 14.323. The 350Z was all out at 14.333

The next run I tried a different tune that was on my switch which I new had rail pressure issues. I was against myself and got distracted, I didnt spool it up, and slet on the line again. The rail pressure loss really did a number and I coasted through to a 15 second pass with a buinch of codes.

I decided to try the old tune one last time. i was up against a drag prepped older camaro. I spooled up to 2600RPM taking full advantage of my 1055 torque converter. Slept off the line and lauched hard spinning all 3 tires until it cuaght 2nd then went through the gates at 13.76. The camaro had a 13.4. The spinning really took its toll as I had a 2 second 60' again. But my motor stayed alive till the finish

The trans really woke the truck up and with some more tim spent on set up and tuning I think I can hit low 13s.

My EFI Live wasnt funtioning properly so I was stuck with the tunes on my switch which werent very good. I wish I couldve worked on tuning it more but oh well.

It was a fun time and the truck is still in one piece. The trans was shifting decent but rough. Mostly due to tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsTUgk2b6o

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Thanks kat.

I dont plan on doing much drag racing. The strip is an hour and a half away and the truck will be built more for pulling but I wouldnt mind making more passes. And now I want to since my EFI Live is working correctly so I can dial in the tune.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
havent figured that out, was hoping somebody had some answers for me.

It goes into engine protection mode, same as valet mode. Cant go over 2000RPM.

I cant figure out why and couldnt modify my tune or log data to figure it out due to the fact that I couldnt get my firmware to update

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If your tune drops too much rail pressure that could be why. Did it throw any codes (if it was going into reduced power mode it should have). If so, what were they?

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
havent figured that out, was hoping somebody had some answers for me.

It goes into engine protection mode, same as valet mode. Cant go over 2000RPM.

I cant figure out why and couldnt modify my tune or log data to figure it out due to the fact that I couldnt get my firmware to update

Before my lift pump and shim I would through low fuel rail pressure codes and had the same symptoms until I would clear them, then it would run fine.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Congrats! My first time at track ever got me a 14.x on a Kawasaki 500 back in 1976. A few thousand passes later, I think I'm getting the hang of it! :D

Did you disable the "limp mode" tables? Don't turn off the codes, they can useful, but you should not limp mode active on race setups.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
No codes were thrown and It would consistently give me the throttle back in 3-5 seconds.

Im thinking it has something to do with rail pressure. I do have an Air Dog 150.

Thanks McRat, I do have the limp mode disabled in my pulling tune, but due to my EFI Live issues I couldnt load it. I will try disabling it on this tune and see what happens. Good thing my driveway is paved and a half mile long.

IMO drag racing is fun, but doesnt give me half the rush that pulling does. But it is fun to try to keep tuning to get the fastest time, oh wait I didnt get to do that. Well I guess Ill have to head down again since my EFi live is fixed.

I think this time I will get down there sooner and bring some better tires.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
IMO drag racing is fun, but doesnt give me half the rush that pulling does. But it is fun to try to keep tuning to get the fastest time, oh wait I didnt get to do that. Well I guess Ill have to head down again since my EFi live is fixed.

same here i used to love dragracing until i was half way through my first hook:eek::D

but dragracing is an almost necessary tuning tool for me since i can pull but a couple times a year:(

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Congrats on the first runs. I live 5 minutes from the strip and about 3 hours from the closest sled pull so I race more. I just like spanking all the Camaros, Mustangs, GTOs, Ricers, ect that show up thinking they have something special. I'll be setting the truck up to be able to pull more next year though.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
It was fun to see the look on the 350Z drivers face when my truck shut down before 1000' and I still beat him. A Bunch of ricers I go to school with didnt believe my truck could beat a 350Z non of them believed me when I told them.

Racing the camaro was the funnest. Just being able to go up against old american muscle set up for drag racing was fun.