LB7: #1 injector shorted

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Maybe a cracked filter head or hoses leaking. Hows the fuel look if you drain some from the water drain at the bottom of the filter?

How did you clean out the injectors fuel line port before reassembling it? Was it perfectly clean? Did you clean up the high pressure fuel lines?

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
Maybe a cracked filter head or hoses leaking. Hows the fuel look if you drain some from the water drain at the bottom of the filter?

How did you clean out the injectors fuel line port before reassembling it? Was it perfectly clean? Did you clean up the high pressure fuel lines?

I cleaned the fuel ports and lines with brake cleaner thoroughly and sprayed with air before reassembly.

I haven't drained the fuel out of the bottom of the filter, what should I look for?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I cleaned the fuel ports and lines with brake cleaner thoroughly and sprayed with air before reassembly.

I haven't drained the fuel out of the bottom of the filter, what should I look for?

That may be part of the problem. You may have just pushed junk further into the injectors. Hopefully not and it is just air or something in the fuel lines that you can flush out or correct easily

For the fuel, just see its overall condition. Is it clean and clear? Does it have water in it? Is it milky like you discribed? What does it look like? Etc

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I opened the water drain on the fuel filter and nothing came out so I primed it again and then got some fuel to come out of the water drain, the fuel looks good. Now the truck sounds good but is still putting out a lot of smoke, especially on revs.

Last edited:

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I found a leak out of one of the high pressure lines from the fuel manifold so I tightened that. Now I'm back to not being able to get a good prime.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

I had this happen once because of a hung injector. Cleared it by commanding max fuel pressure. Cleared up after a few minutes of idling at 160 mpa. It could be risky because it is dumping extra fuel into the cylinder and at max pressure will dump more

Do you have any way of turning off individual injectors? EfiLive? Tech 2?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I found a leak out of one of the high pressure lines from the fuel manifold so I tightened that. Now I'm back to not being able to get a good prime.

Put a clear line on after the filter and see if you are getting bubbles / air in the line

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I had this happen once because of a hung injector. Cleared it by commanding max fuel pressure. Cleared up after a few minutes of idling at 160 mpa. It could be risky because it is dumping extra fuel into the cylinder and at max pressure will dump more

Do you have any way of turning off individual injectors? EfiLive? Tech 2?

I don't have either, just an Actron pocket scanner. Looks like EFIlive is $993 on Amazon

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
Put a clear line on after the filter and see if you are getting bubbles / air in the line

Good idea. That should let me know if my air intrusion issue is pre filter or post filter.

I lost prime again and can't get it back. I hear a puff of air come out when I unscrew the water drain on the fuel filter. I think air is getting into the filter somehow. Maybe I need to put in new o-rings again.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Good idea. That should let me know if my air intrusion issue is pre filter or post filter.

I lost prime again and can't get it back. I hear a puff of air come out when I unscrew the water drain on the fuel filter. I think air is getting into the filter somehow. Maybe I need to put in new o-rings again.

I primed mine with the bleed screw loose until fuel comes out then tighten the screw and pump some more until the bulb gets hard to push down. I sometimes have to do the second part several times after cranking it over until it starts. Of course I don't have to do any of this now that I have a lift pump :D

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I really appreciate your insight 2004LB7

I hooked up a clear hose between the fuel filter and the CP3. It seems as if the problem is on the injector side of the filter and prime doesn't seem to be an issue. When cranking the engine over, the fluid kept its prime and there were no air bubbles. I didn't take a video of cranking but I took one of the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSUXmtph9kA

I'm exhausted so I'm not going back out there today but I'll have all evening to research possible solutions.

I'm just wondering how I got the truck to run for 20 minutes and now I can't get it running again and there's definitely fuel getting to the injectors. What do you think about the fuel pressure regulator malfunctioning? Wouldn't that cause max psi and account for the white smoke out of the tailpipe?

I had three new codes pop up before quitting for the day...

P0090 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Circuit Open
P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit High
P0540 Intake Air Heater "A" Circuit

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
No need to spill fuel all over. When you start getting fuel at the bleed screw, close it and keep pumping. You want to get the primer firm. Then crank. Go back and prime it again. Dont open the bleed screw. Crank again. You may need to do this several times

For your codes. Have a look at your harness. You did mention you took it all apart so maybe something got missed or loose

You may need to get ahold of a better scanner that can show you fuel pressure and other parameters to better diagnosis you issues

If your injectors are still healthy, a big if based on your cleaning method, max fuel pressure shouldn't cause that much, if any, white smoke

The white smoke is ether unburnt fuel or water/coolant. You should be able to tell based on smell. If fuel then you likely have one or more stuck injectors. This very well could be a reason for difficulty in getting it started