02' LB7 Tow Pig Build

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
BTW, are these Xotic studs proving to be reliable for the diesel applications?

I've yet to have a failure with their lower grade studs. To my knowledge, these are the first few sets of high-strength XP2 for a Duramax (they've had them for the Cummins side for awhile). I was sent 2 sets to trial and see how they hold up.

Reactions: turbovan

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Interesting. I have only recently seen that brand pop up on the market in say the last 6 months or so for the D max stuff so I wasn't sure. I think a few companies are using them as their own private label house brand as well.

I understand stuff being expense to manufacture here in the US But I know ARP has been gouging the popular stuff for years and the current shortage is partially due to a fire at one of the mills that produces the wire. It's good to see some real competition in that area.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Interesting. I have only recently seen that brand pop up on the market in say the last 6 months or so for the D max stuff so I wasn't sure. I think a few companies are using them as their own private label house brand as well.

I understand stuff being expense to manufacture here in the US But I know ARP has been gouging the popular stuff for years and the current shortage is partially due to a fire at one of the mills that produces the wire. It's good to see some real competition in that area.

On the high strength line they are still $1200 retail so not a ton of savings over an ARP 625 set.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Xotic CP877: $304.86
ARP 230-4201: $583.99

So they come to 52.21% of the ARP MSRP.
Good to know. I wasnt sure if they 50%.
Like everything, depends on who is selling them. I have seen both brands fluctuate $50 between sellers and as much a $100 different high to low on same brands...

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Good to know. I wasnt sure if they 50%.
Like everything, depends on who is selling them. I have seen both brands fluctuate $50 between sellers and as much a $100 different high to low on same brands...

I've torqued both sets of these XP2 twice in a core block/core heads and they haven't stretched. Obviously that's no indication of their power handling but at least I know they won't fail on installation.

Reactions: Dozerboy

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well, the motor finally back in my possession from the machine shop! I'll be painting it this week after hours to ensure I can let the paint really set before the next coat. Right now they primered the block in what they use on over the road big rigs etc that holds up well according to them.

I am going to use VHT's engine enamel line and prime/top coat (gloss black)/clear (gloss). Gloss black can make it a pain to find oil leaks but I definitely like how they look. I've not been happy with how Dupli-Color has been holding up on the last two engines I did so I'm going to try VHT since their "flameproof" has been awesome on turbine housings/exhaust manifolds.

Attachments

• IMG-1335.jpg
    IMG-1335.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 56

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Got it painted up so it can cure during the week (might even take it to a friend's powder coating oven) before I start working on assembling the long block. Was up late last night doing it since VHT says all the coats need to be applied at one sitting or else you have to wait 7 days before adding another coat and I didn't want to do that. The one day I wanted Amazon to deliver at their regular time (~2-5pm) they showed up at 7:30pm haha.

So far I am happy with the VHT engine enamel from an ease of use (it's pretty darn forgiving) and only got a few runs trying to get some of the hard-to-spray webs of the block.

Attachments

• IMG-1369.jpg
    IMG-1369.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-1376.jpg
    IMG-1376.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-1375.jpg
    IMG-1375.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 55

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So a little update. I had the heads torqued on, trans built, and was just waiting on a few parts from GM to get the LML oil pump installed to get it all buttoned up to set into it's new home.

I had 6 of the Xotic XP2 studs fail while on the engine stand under standard torque load. They had been sitting for a week or so and failed from tension. With that failure, I have decided to not use the replacement studs they sent out and ordered up 2x sets of 625 from ARP that a friend had sitting on their shelf.

I also then had a customer of mine who desperately need a transmission so I sold him my built trans that was ready to go into the truck. The positive side is the core he had to return was a full billet unit (I have him a good chunk off of his bill after tearing it down and seeing what was in it) so I'll be using that core to rebuild my trans.

I also ordered a PSC steering box, PSC power steering pump, 2011 hydroboost, all new Gates lines, and a power steering cooler off the same generation gas truck from Dorman (918-301).

Reactions: SmokeShow

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did you get a new 6 bolt box from PSC? There site shows back ordered and I still cant get a correct one from Napa even though we have been trying.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Did you get a new 6 bolt box from PSC? There site shows back ordered and I still cant get a correct one from Napa even though we have been trying.

Yes, their SG039. My supplier had 1 in stock so I went ahead and ordered it. My non-stocked PSC box orders have been taking 1-3 weeks to ship.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So the headstuds just snapped under their own prolonged torque? any pics? Thats scary....

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So the headstuds just snapped under their own prolonged torque? any pics? Thats scary....

Yup, I couldn't believe it myself............... I had torqued the heads on then covered the engine in large plastic bags/plastic wrap since I knew it would be ~2 weeks before I'd touch it again and I come back to find 6 broken studs with 6 holes blown through the plastic. I initially thought foul play with an employee we had recently let go but after some searching I found the broken stud/nut/washers around that bay.

I've used countless sets of their normal strength studs and will continue to do so but until their XP2 line has more seat time I'll be stepping away from them. Torque pattern was followed, ARP lube was applied, I went 50>100>125>150 for my torque ratings to ensure I didn't shock the fastener too much between the higher-end torques which I followed up with checking them all again at 150 to ensure nothing moved. I verified the torque wrench was within range and was within 5% on torque.

Attachments

• IMG-1852.jpg
    IMG-1852.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-1851.jpg
    IMG-1851.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-1850.JPG
    IMG-1850.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-1849.JPG
    IMG-1849.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Wow

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yes, their SG039. My supplier had 1 in stock so I went ahead and ordered it. My non-stocked PSC box orders have been taking 1-3 weeks to ship.
No good on the head stud deal... at least it didnt cost you down time.

So you can get a PSC set up then? I may need to go that route and change my stuff over then.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
No good on the head stud deal... at least it didnt cost you down time.

So you can get a PSC set up then? I may need to go that route and change my stuff over then.

Yeah, I can get them. I won't guarantee any shipping time tho as it will ship from PCS. I can only state what my past experience has been with the last 5 I've ordered in the last 6mo.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, I couldn't believe it myself............... I had torqued the heads on then covered the engine in large plastic bags/plastic wrap since I knew it would be ~2 weeks before I'd touch it again and I come back to find 6 broken studs with 6 holes blown through the plastic. I initially thought foul play with an employee we had recently let go but after some searching I found the broken stud/nut/washers around that bay.

I've used countless sets of their normal strength studs and will continue to do so but until their XP2 line has more seat time I'll be stepping away from them. Torque pattern was followed, ARP lube was applied, I went 50>100>125>150 for my torque ratings to ensure I didn't shock the fastener too much between the higher-end torques which I followed up with checking them all again at 150 to ensure nothing moved. I verified the torque wrench was within range and was within 5% on torque.

wow, thats terrible! damn good thing it worked out the way it did. that would have really screwed the engine