02' LB7 Tow Pig Build

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I was always told LBZ had a different cam profile than 01-05, I will check the PNs tomorrow.

I originally wasn’t going to buy a cam but for $300 I couldn’t say no.
So about them cams...

I think they did have different part numbers originally. GM looks to show 98077453 as the current replacement and its supposed to fit 2001-2010 applications.... Not sure if if the original superseded numbers had different specs or not.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well got my box of TCS goodies in. This unit will be getting a billet input, output, C2, and P2. I very likely could get by without anything billet but with my luck it would have a failure far from home.

Attachments

• Billet_Parts.jpg
    Billet_Parts.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 56

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
well if tow like i did, you will kill the sun gears in the planets before splines/shafts :ROFLMAO:
I'm not going to be nice to it that's for sure. My worry is I'll be driving like a jackass or take a trailer to an event, race or dyno there and break a shaft and be SOL.

I believe I'd have been fine with OEM hard parts but like I tell my wife, if I didn't have shitty luck I'd have no luck at all.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm not going to be nice to it that's for sure. My worry is I'll be driving like a jackass or take a trailer to an event, race or dyno there and break a shaft and be SOL.

I believe I'd have been fine with OEM hard parts but like I tell my wife, if I didn't have shitty luck I'd have no luck at all.
i know, what im saying is you may very well still take out trans parts. I dont remember if mine was the p2 planet or not but i also ran all factory hard parts still. every sun gear died inside and was trying to lock up the trans. Mike showed me a hand full of the same type of failer but it was only out of medium duty trucks from hauling heavy day in and day out. might not be a bad idea to start with a fresh P1 and P3. i dont think they were all that bad on price either?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i know, what im saying is you may very well still take out trans parts. I dont remember if mine was the p2 planet or not but i also ran all factory hard parts still. every sun gear died inside and was trying to lock up the trans. Mike showed me a hand full of the same type of failer but it was only out of medium duty trucks from hauling heavy day in and day out. might not be a bad idea to start with a fresh P1 and P3. i dont think they were all that bad on price either?
Looks like they're not too cheap. The ones I have here are relatively low mileage so hopefully they hold up.

Reactions: Chevy1925

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well finally made some progress on this pile of crap. I got the trans buttoned up last Thursday (4/13) after waiting on some unexpected damaged parts in the core 5spd I decided to use the case from.

The truck came into the shop Friday around 11:45 and the new motor/trans were bolted together/installed by 7:30pm Friday night. I went to install my new 2020 oil cooler and come to find out it was damaged in shipping to where it was unusable due to the housing being cracked. After a quick 5hr drive to the only GM dealer with one in stock we were back in business!

Next is to get the new firewall insulation installed (PPE), clean the starter bolt threads from sandblasting sand, and put the top of the motor (fuel lines/wiring/sensors) on. Hopefully in a few weeks its running and driving.

As a recap, the build list as below.

Engine:
1) LBZ block
2) LB7 crank
3) Howard's X beam rods
4) Mahle motorsport non-reliefed pistons with thermal coating (16.8:1)
5) ARP main studs
6) ARP 625 head studs
7) DHD pinned/shimmed oil pump
8) SoCal water pump bypass
9) Dual radiators
10) 2020 oil cooler
11) External oil cooler
12) ATI damper
13) BD flexplate w/DHD bolts
14) DHD water pump

Valvetrain:
1) Manton/XDP pushrods
2) Manton/XDP conical springs
3) Manton/XDP 7/16 pushrods
4) Manton/XDP billet valve bridges
5) Manton/XDP rocker shafts
6) Merchant ARP rocker shaft bolts
7) Threaded cups
8) Wagler stage 1 cam

Fuel:
1) Exergy 12mm CP3
2) Dynomite Diesel Products (DDP) SAC100% injectors
3) Industrial Injection/PDM billet injector hold downs
4) AirDog 2 5G 220gph lift pump
5) 45gal tank
6) LBZ rail pressure sensor
7) 2200 bar relief valve

Air:
1) SXE364.5/68/0.91 and ball bearing S480/96/1.32 compounds
2) BD intercooler

Trans:
1) Billet 5spd built by me
-Alto Carbonite C1
-Alto waffle G3 C2 w/stock steels
-Alto keyhole G3 C3 & C4 w/kolene steels
-Borg high energy C5 w/stock steels
-Billet input/output/p2/c2
2) Mishimoto trans cooler
3) Goerend R extreme clutch

Attachments

• IMG-7610.jpg
    IMG-7610.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-7613.jpg
    IMG-7613.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-7614.jpg
    IMG-7614.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-7616.jpg
    IMG-7616.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 45

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't remember you were gonna run dual radiators. What did you get a secondary one? Is it down by the front diff like James was running on his truck?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don't remember you were gonna run dual radiators. What did you get a secondary one? Is it down by the front diff like James was running on his truck?
It actually is the exact radiator off of James truck, I bought it the cooler kit (coolant & engine oil) from Anthony as he did not intend on working the truck and had no use for it. It went from one black 01-02 LB7 to another haha.

Reactions: Dozerboy

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Found these used Merchant on the shelf in a box, hard to pass up something I paid for ages ago haha.

The DHD bracket is awesome and worth every penny for someone who works on these. This was my first time using it.
True, Guess you cant go wrong there.

I was looking at that and the Wagler Version.