LB7: 02 LB7 Audio Overhaul

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
You’re going to need a much bigger sub amp. I mean it will be fine, but bigger is better. Which ones are you looking at that are rated at 200rms? The one I got was 300rms and it’s being ran by a 500rms kicker amp at 2ohm. And it takes it all.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You’re going to need a much bigger sub amp. I mean it will be fine, but bigger is better. Which ones are you looking at that are rated at 200rms? The one I got was 300rms and it’s being ran by a 500rms kicker amp at 2ohm. And it takes it all.

Sundown Audio SA6.5 are rated at 200w RMS. The LC-1.800 is 800w RMS @ 2ohm and usually puts 950-1000w RMS. The next amp in the Audio Control line is a 1500w RMS which IMO is overkill but could always be turned down.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Any thoughts on CDT audio? I have their ES Gold anniversary series speakers, but haven't completed the system yet so they aren't even powered by an amp and they still sound great. The upstage tweeters being included are pretty cool as well.

I like that amp and that you can control it by PC, I'm assuming bluetooth or wifi?

Also really looking forward to learn more from this thread. I had what I considered a hi-fi stereo in my 06, at least compared to anything else I've seen in person, and I want to do even more for the system I'll build in my crew cab. I considered going with 8's when I built it, but wound up with two Memphis 10's and a Zapco 1000w mini amp powering them. In a ported box they hit hard, but in a sealed down firing box it was much cleaner and wasn't as "directional" feeling.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Do they not make the X-6.5sw anymore?
This is what I have https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/sundown-audio-x-6-5-300w-x-series/

After talking to the box designer that is the route I'm going to go. I will power them with an Audio Control LC-1.1500. From what I am reading the X-6.5S4 is a single 4ohm voice coil, is that accurate? If so, I would need to confirm with Audio Control that their amp will succesfully run at 1ohm (I don't want to run different amp brands). I'm planning on either the US Acoustics Barbara Ann/Mike or the Audio Control D-4.800/LC-1.1500 to power the setup.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
After talking to the box designer that is the route I'm going to go. I will power them with an Audio Control LC-1.1500. From what I am reading the X-6.5S4 is a single 4ohm voice coil, is that accurate? If so, I would need to confirm with Audio Control that their amp will succesfully run at 1ohm (I don't want to run different amp brands). I'm planning on either the US Acoustics Barbara Ann/Mike or the Audio Control D-4.800/LC-1.1500 to power the setup.

IIRC they are single voice coil. So the S4 would be 4 ohm. You would need the 2 ohm speakers to make that run at 2 ohm just do two in parallel and two in series to get you 2 ohm

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
if it’s a 1500.1 it should only have two terminals unless they have an extra set in parallel for some reason

They put two sets in parallel. Here is the part that confuses me, they’re listed as single 4ohm but have an RE of 2.9ohm. If my math is right I could get to 1.45ohm and I’d hope the Audio Control is stable there.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well made the plunge and bought 4x Savard Hi-Q 6.5" with dual 4ohm voice coils. The Savard's are rated at 350w RMS but will take more. With 1500w RMS on tap from the Audio Control LC-1.1500 I think they will make more than enough noise and should also live a long/healthy life at 375w RMS. They are built very similar to the Sundown X series 6.5" but offer a voice coil arrangement that I need in order to run 2ohm to make the Audio Control amp happy. They came to right around $120 shipped each.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Well made the plunge and bought 4x Savard Hi-Q 6.5" with dual 4ohm voice coils. The Savard's are rated at 350w RMS but will take more. With 1500w RMS on tap from the Audio Control LC-1.1500 I think they will make more than enough noise and should also live a long/healthy life at 375w RMS. They are built very similar to the Sundown X series 6.5" but offer a voice coil arrangement that I need in order to run 2ohm to make the Audio Control amp happy. They came to right around $120 shipped each.

do you have a link to those?

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
I had a nice sound quality system in my last truck and told myself I wasn’t going to do that this time. Well after 3 years of Bose, I can’t take it anymore. A couple of threads like this, and here we go. It doesn’t help (or hurt) that a good friend of mine owns DC Audio and he has been bugging me to go for it. So I started putting a plan together and started buying components a couple of weeks ago.
Factory head unit
Processors: Audiocontrol DQ61 & EPICENTER
Dash: cdt 2” mid/tweeter with a Focal 75x2
Doors: DC audio 6.5 convertibles (Hybrid Audio) DC 90x4
Subs: 2-DC 10” level 3 and DC 1.2kw
still working out the sub box, but I will probably build it myself.
LMI seat lift and some DC sound deadening
I will do a build thread when I get going on it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I had a nice sound quality system in my last truck and told myself I wasn’t going to do that this time. Well after 3 years of Bose, I can’t take it anymore. A couple of threads like this, and here we go. It doesn’t help (or hurt) that a good friend of mine owns DC Audio and he has been bugging me to go for it. So I started putting a plan together and started buying components a couple of weeks ago.
Factory head unit
Processors: Audiocontrol DQ61 & EPICENTER
Dash: cdt 2” mid/tweeter with a Focal 75x2
Doors: DC audio 6.5 convertibles (Hybrid Audio) DC 90x4
Subs: 2-DC 10” level 3 and DC 1.2kw
still working out the sub box, but I will probably build it myself.
LMI seat lift and some DC sound deadening
I will do a build thread when I get going on it.

Any reason to not run say a D-6.1200 which would act as your DQ-61 (line converter) and Epicenter (DSP)? You're really not spending much more on the D-6.1200 but you also then gain a 6 channel (6x125@4ohm/6x200@2ohm) amp in there as well. Same goes for the D-4.800 as it'll take high level inputs and provide a line out for the sub with full DSP but is only 4x125@4ohm/4x200@2ohm.

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/power-amplifiers/d-61200/

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
Those Audiocontrol amps would be awesome, they make some really nice equipment.
But the whole build started around using as much DC Audio stuff as we could. Otherwise I probably would go with Audiocontrol.

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
DC 90.4 for the doors and I bought a Focal 75x2 for the dash because DC doesn’t have a 2 channel. But now I am finding out that the chimes and phone stuff come through the left dash speaker and if I amplify them it be louder than stock. I need to research this a little more.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
An Audio Control D-6.1200 would allow you to grab all 6 speakers. I know you want to use as much DC as possible but it may not being ideal for this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk