01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Has anyone else tried the Lee reman boxes? I only had that thing on my 2500 Suburban for ~35k-40k miles on stock tires but dang was it tight as a MFer...

Reactions: 1FastBrick

Jr_Whip

Jun 14, 2022
I Do have the setup, How ever I have not installed it. I did not want to run the Idler brace either. I like the looks of the 7/8 set up.

I purchased everything from Bdsankey. With the exception of the 1.5 inch bar. I found someone that purchased the wrong one and was selling at a discounted price that I could not pass up as it was still new in the box. I also went with the Kryptonite inner outer tierod setup and upper control arms.

I have been waiting on the 6 bolt box with 3 slots to install everything.
Did you ever figure out a way to get the PSC box to work with the PPE steering?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did you ever figure out a way to get the PSC box to work with the PPE steering?
It will not work with out re-inventing the wheel and I don't have time to do that. I purchased new moog XD arms and the correct ppe 1.5 bar to work with the OE style tapered stuff.

I really wanted to try the 7/8 bolt stuff but I could not get the correct Box through Napa. Every time we order one, we get a 4 bolt reman and I don't think corporate really cares...we made them aware of the issue but the clearly haven't done anything about it.

I just need time to get it installed.

Don Dorfman

Jul 24, 2017
OK I realize I am bringing up the older thread. But I feel the pertinent answers are not answered. I want to know if those that bought the new 6 bolt BBB (China / Dodge design) boxes actually got their issues solved. I have an 07 LBZ with 150K on it from new. It has had a hard steering issue from day one when turning lock to lock with the brake applied. If I let off the brake it steers fine. My tires are near stock 265s. Pump is verified right and is a 12 vane. I personally bench tested it and adjusted the pressure / flow. 1500psi / 3gpm. The hydro booster is new GM LML and the brakes work well. The box currently was rebuilt by Lee Steering systems and acts exactly like the original did during dry steering on the brakes but has a little better, easier fell off center, no help with the getting hard after about 3/4 of a turn either way off center. I still have my original box as a core. So I am at my wits end and ready to solve this. I will either buy the BBB box and try that or add a ram. I can port the box myself. I am wondering if these Borgeson boxes are any better specifically with the problem I am describing? If so how can I be assured I get this 6 bolt box? I am not one to mess around with returns and the like. One shot deal in and good or I will not even take the old box out. I just don't necessarily see users claiming this problem is fixed on the older trucks with Saginaw 808 metric boxes. All help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The only way to guaranty you get a 6 bolt box is to purchase one from PSC. You will also need a matching steering arm as they only sell the 32 Spline 4 flat version box.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
i just installed another one about 4 months ago and big difference . 38" tires on a big lifted truck and it did wonders. also did the lml booster and new oem pump. This was the 6 bolt from PSC . didnt take long to get at all.

D

Deleted member 32467

Bump...

I run the PPE steering setup and do not want to go away from my 33 spline and 3 flat pitman.

Is this the correct 6 bolt box from China?:

Chyna

It has 6 bolts, 33 spline, application box says it is correct. They have sold lots, but gave generic responses when I asked questions, they claim it matches the image.

Any other offerings for the 6 bolt box in a 33 spline? I am suddenly leaving puddles out the pitman seal and need to swap mine now.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Bump...

I run the PPE steering setup and do not want to go away from my 33 spline and 3 flat pitman.

Is this the correct 6 bolt box from China?:

Chyna

It has 6 bolts, 33 spline, application box says it is correct. They have sold lots, but gave generic responses when I asked questions, they claim it matches the image.

Any other offerings for the 6 bolt box in a 33 spline? I am suddenly leaving puddles out the pitman seal and need to swap mine now.
Couldn't tell you on that listing as I've never bought anything from that vendor. As far as I know there is NO good source for 33 spline/3 flat/6 bolt boxes out there as is evident in this thread.

What PPE steering setup do you have? If you aren't running the 7/8 bolt setup then there is no downside of going to a 4 spline box. The reason everyone recommends PSC is because they flat out are the absolute best box (at this time) that money can buy for these trucks.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Yes it does look like the correct box. That said it is minus one key thing that i think it should have and that is an adapter for the one PS line. Like Brad said you wont go wrong with PSC. I have both their pump and 6 bolt gear on my truck and am very happy with them. I do agree this eBay find looks tempting for the price compared to the PSC price.

D

Deleted member 32467

Yes, I have the 7/8" pitman bolt. Overkill, but I sheared a pitman backing my 5th wheel and went straight to it years ago and it is holding up great.

I also have the lmm pump and hydro boost on the shelf

Going to order a cooler and all the lines

Maybe I will be a test pig and order they eBay box

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yes, I have the 7/8" pitman bolt. Overkill, but I sheared a pitman backing my 5th wheel and went straight to it years ago and it is holding up great.

I also have the lmm pump and hydro boost on the shelf

Going to order a cooler and all the lines

Maybe I will be a test pig and order they eBay box
If you do it let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Reactions: Bdsankey

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I just put a BBB reman in my truck. 5 year warranty and was half the price of a supposed NEW BBB with the same warranty. Time will tell if it was worth it or not.

Reactions: Dozerboy
D

Deleted member 32467

I have had good luck with Lare's, debating ordering one just in case...

D

Deleted member 32467

It's here and looks correct. Anything I can check to confirm?

Looks just like the photos with a 3 flat pitman spline.

Surprised this thing fits in there, it's big.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It's here and looks correct. Anything I can check to confirm?

Looks just like the photos with a 3 flat pitman spline.

Surprised this thing fits in there, it's big.
Nobody here has used that box so I don’t think anyone will have information for you sadly.

D

Deleted member 32467

Box is in, it is amazing, about 500 miles on it.

Have the 6 bolt Ebay box, with 3 flat 33 splines and the 7/8" PPE idler/pitman and PPE tie rods. My truck is leveled with Kryptonite upper control arms and Mevotech TTX ball joints and Timken wheel hubs.

The box is obviously new and looked high quality, good fit and finish, well packaged. No documentation or part numbers to research.

Only fitment issue was the steering shaft connection to the box at the "rag joint" had a casting in the female side that would not allow the joint to slip onto the box. I am sure this is the fitment issue, and 15 seconds of work with a carbide rotary bit and it slipped right on the box and the cinch bolt functioned as it should.

I installed a new OEM master, OEM LMM hydroboost, OEM LMM steering pump, an OEM steering cooler, Sonnen lines from Rockauto, a Magnefine filter on the return and Royal Purple fluid. Along with Powerstop Z36 brakes and Russell braided lines this is the best steering and stopping Duramax I have ever had and this is coming from daily driving a CCSB LBZ for 13 years. Low speed steering and swinging into parking spots is no longer an issue, it tracks down the highway like a Camry, and the 11 to 1 dead spot is gone, I swear it turns sharper. I love my truck again.

My PPE tie rods were surprisingly loose at the outers for having 60K miles... warranty proccess is a pain so I just bought a new set. Also, the "old style" aluminum 7/8 drag link would not allow the bearings to be pressed out and I turned it into a couple hundred dollar paperweight which was a nice x-mas surprise.

P.S. I don't know what he does but John Kennedy has the best Duramax fan clutch, I have tried them all and come back to his, second one purchased now.
PXL_20221230_022216341.jpgPXL_20221227_163514722.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddie_LLY

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Box is in, it is amazing, about 500 miles on it.

Have the 6 bolt Ebay box, with 3 flat 33 splines and the 7/8" PPE idler/pitman and PPE tie rods. My truck is leveled with Kryptonite upper control arms and Mevotech TTX ball joints and Timken wheel hubs.

The box is obviously new and looked high quality, good fit and finish, well packaged. No documentation or part numbers to research.

Only fitment issue was the steering shaft connection to the box at the "rag joint" had a casting in the female side that would not allow the joint to slip onto the box. I am sure this is the fitment issue, and 15 seconds of work with a carbide rotary bit and it slipped right on the box and the cinch bolt functioned as it should.

I installed a new OEM master, OEM LMM hydroboost, OEM LMM steering pump, an OEM steering cooler, Sonnen lines from Rockauto, a Magnefine filter on the return and Royal Purple fluid. Along with Powerstop Z36 brakes and Russell braided lines this is the best steering and stopping Duramax I have ever had and this is coming from daily driving a CCSB LBZ for 13 years. Low speed steering and swinging into parking spots is no longer an issue, it tracks down the highway like a Camry, and the 11 to 1 dead spot is gone, I swear it turns sharper. I love my truck again.

My PPE tie rods were surprisingly loose at the outers for having 60K miles... warranty proccess is a pain so I just bought a new set. Also, the "old style" aluminum 7/8 drag link would not allow the bearings to be pressed out and I turned it into a couple hundred dollar paperweight which was a nice x-mas surprise.

P.S. I don't know what he does but John Kennedy has the best Duramax fan clutch, I have tried them all and come back to his, second one purchased now.
View attachment 112594View attachment 112595
Sounds like a solid install and choice of parts! Did you make sure to bench bleed the master cylinder?