01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
Well it looks great. I did a suburban frame like that in the past with an epoxy Primer. My only regret was that I didn't top coat it with anything.

I’ve done it in the past also, other epoxies tended to get chalky after a while so I always top coated after the first one.

SPI’s black epoxy has uv inhibitors in it. Supposedly if the mix is induced 4 hrs before spraying, it’s supposed to hold up well. We’ll see. I’m looking for a simple cost effective solution to frame coatings. Granted I used up the whole 1 gal setup, so 2 gal sprayable at $300ish.

Reactions: juddski88

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
Spi is good stuff. I redone a 68 Camaro and used their products, epoxy and base coat clear coat. It came out awesome for a garage paint job.

Reactions: pl_silverado

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’ve done it in the past also, other epoxies tended to get chalky after a while so I always top coated after the first one.

SPI’s black epoxy has uv inhibitors in it. Supposedly if the mix is induced 4 hrs before spraying, it’s supposed to hold up well. We’ll see. I’m looking for a simple cost effective solution to frame coatings. Granted I used up the whole 1 gal setup, so 2 gal sprayable at $300ish.
No epoxy is UV stable. Even with an "inhibitor". I'll make an educated guess, the inhibitor is the black pigment. But really, how much is the frame going to be exposed to UV?

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
No epoxy is UV stable. Even with an "inhibitor". I'll make an educated guess, the inhibitor is the black pigment. But really, how much is the frame going to be exposed to UV?

Likely not much other than sitting in the driveway a few days before final assembly. I will do the warn winch carrier in epoxy too, let that be exposed to the sun and see how it holds up over the years. Powder failed in less than 4.

Tractor enamel didn’t hold up worth a shit either on the last truck, if it holds up better than that I’ll be happy. Anything’s better than the rust and wax coating.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It sounds like your powdercoater didn't do a good prep job on the surface.

I have a liftgate on my truck that's powder coated and it gets the crap beat out of it, metal drug across it, drug on the ground, etc. There are several areas I've gouged through the powder to bare metal, and the exposed metal will rust, but the coating doesn't start failing at the damage or peeling off at all.

It has been on my truck for over 7 years, parked outside the whole time, and no noticable UV damage either.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I used PPG DP90 when I did the suburban frame. I Just wish I would have top coated it with something. I am not sure how it's held up as the vehicle changed hands a few times. Last I heard it went to Arizona. Not sure what happened to it after that.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wonder how hard, cost, it would be to line-X the frame. Definitely UV stable. Grease and oil resistant too

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You might be able to use it as a top coat over some epoxy But not direct. From what I under stand, If it get moisture underneath the line-X, it will corrode from the inside out. Usually by the time you catch it its destroyed already and badly pitted. I guess some Off-roaders tried it and that was the result leaving them to scrap the chassis.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You might be able to use it as a top coat over some epoxy But not direct. From what I under stand, If it get moisture underneath the line-X, it will corrode from the inside out. Usually by the time you catch it its destroyed already and badly pitted. I guess some Off-roaders tried it and that was the result leaving them to scrap the chassis.
Yeah, polyuria/aspartics don't have the best bond to steal so an epoxy primer would probably be ideal

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
It sounds like your powdercoater didn't do a good prep job on the surface.

I have a liftgate on my truck that's powder coated and it gets the crap beat out of it, metal drug across it, drug on the ground, etc. There are several areas I've gouged through the powder to bare metal, and the exposed metal will rust, but the coating doesn't start failing at the damage or peeling off at all.

It has been on my truck for over 7 years, parked outside the whole time, and no noticable UV damage either.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

It wasn’t my powdercoater. It was a brand new winch carrier from warn. I don’t care who does it, one chip and a few trips thru NY in the winter, it’s coming off.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It wasn’t my powdercoater. It was a brand new winch carrier from warn. I don’t care who does it, one chip and a few trips thru NY in the winter, it’s coming off.
This is my experience as well. After having a powder coated PJ trailer I will NEVER own another powder coated trailer. It looked great for one year, after that it looked like crap.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
This is my experience as well. After having a powder coated PJ trailer I will NEVER own another powder coated trailer. It looked great for one year, after that it looked like crap.

Got rid of my PJ B5 Buggy Hauler Last summer after buying it new in 2019, same experience as you. Thank god trailer prices were inflated, got more than I paid!

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
Interesteing find. I see those PC'd trailers and they always looked so good.

Ditched my painted steelie diamond deck trailer (got more than i paid as well!) and upped to a 10k aluminum trailer. That baby better not rust here in NY (though i'll be keeping the axles doused in fluid film)

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
I am curious as well as this was my next step if my rebuild didn't work out.
About 2 mo ago i finally rebuilt my stock OEM box on my 2010, 228k on the clock. Boy she was clean inside and all I did was adjust the input shaft shaft depth, install new seals (reason for removing it was leakyyyy) and slapped back in with new pitman arm/idler arm. Steering feels pretty tight, at least as tight as new i think. Needed a pressure line too. $27 seal kit, new fluid, and a few hours.

JRey

Feb 14, 2021
Got my Cardone box in from rock auto today. They have been out of stock. I kept checking everyday. Finally had one in stock. Hopefully this box holds up well.

Attachments

• 20230727_171638.jpg
    20230727_171638.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 34

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
The PSC, and kryptonite idler and pitman feel tight! Sitting on 35x12.5r20. No more slop. First time driving the truck in 7 months.

17d35dead6d13891fca812aa631fefd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: CDmax16