stock trans DSP5 LB7 tune

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Just because you haven't limped it, doesn't mean you haven't slipped it. It takes a few seconds of slippage before the TCM will limp and default to 3rd gear, but once the clutches get slipped under power they will glaze.

Yep your absolutely right. I have had lots of bs sessions with Mike L about allisons. Its funny everybody wants power but nobody wants to build their trans. They always ask "how much power can you give me?" And I say I can gve you a lot but it'll cost you down the road and then they ask how much to build a trans?

duramaxJoe08

smokinjoe
Aug 27, 2011
Princeton Iowa
I ran my stock trans on Robs stock turbo max effort tune with my lift pump it would do some weird things that felt like slips i said if it is not limping it is fine.NOT! when i built my trans i found that transynd will turn brown and frictions and steels will come apart. I say build your trans first get that crap out of the way the truck is night and day different even in stock tune.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I ran my stock trans on Robs stock turbo max effort tune with my lift pump it would do some weird things that felt like slips i said if it is not limping it is fine.NOT! when i built my trans i found that transynd will turn brown and frictions and steels will come apart. I say build your trans first get that crap out of the way the truck is night and day different even in stock tune.

Not my rig just a buddies. yeah I limped mine with a preditor 100hp tune. when I built my trans the only thing that showed any signs was the C3 but i limped mine a total of 6 times. read my sig and you see what all I have done to mine. I think i'm one of two guys in this town with a built trans dmax. wish there was more not much fun tuning a stock trans mild tuned dmax lol. But there is two dynos close by so thats good..

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
And this tune is nowhere close to a max effort tune

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I wondered the same thing, so I found the original OS for this tune, made it into a DSP5, and then created a script. I then opened up the 6006 firmware that is supposed to be THE one to run, and upgraded it into DPS5 format and then ran the script. As far as I can tell it worked properly.

Any chance I can post and get The Ferm to check it?

I took this tune for all but the final setting 5 on the DSP. For that one I subbed in an agressive tune from The Ferminator that was uploaded here. The top setting is arguably not stock tranny safe, so beware if you try to run this.

Feedback would be really helpful, if someone would be so kind... especially ferm since I learned everything that I did here by reading his posts :)

Attachments

• 15186006_dsp5_Tristan_test1.tun
    420.5 KB · Views: 30

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
3 is borderline for stock trans especially if you have bigger tires 5 is too hot for a stock trans I would set you Max timing table a little lower like 26 across the board.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I didn't look at the rev limiter and all that, but under normal conditions its only going to run 22-26 degrees anyway assuming it stays under 3800rpm....

But I do agree that over 2000pw is going to limp it in a hurry.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
the big tune is 2000us. I loaded up a set of tunes for my buddy that maxed at 1800 and he came back after the test drive and said it was slower than his Banks and he wasn't happy. He claims to have realistic goals, but I don't think so, lol. I let him try the 2000us tune as a single (the one Ferm uploaded) and he came back saying it was exactly what he wants and swears it will only be on occasion and that he will never take it past 3rd, etc etc etc. hahahahaha.

I told him it WILL fry his trans not IF. But he's a big boy and I am giving him what he wants, lol. I just wanted another set of eyes to take a look and be sure I didn't miss anything :)

Thanks for the feedback, and for letting me hijack a little, lol.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Oh also - another buddy of mine DD a 2200us tune for 60,000mi in his LLY. Go figure!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
How's much timing and boost is he running with 2200? And also depends on how soon the power comes on but there have been some 5speeds that have lived up into the 24-2500us when you scan it is the pulse actually going up to 2200? If you have a chance post up a wide open throttle run scan of and could also be a weak pump helping things live lol lots of variables

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a buddy that just flat out doesn't care about his truck, I had it around 2800 pulse on a stock trans for a couple years. Limped it a hundred times probably and still moving. It will actually hold the power more times then not. Cracks me up every time I get in it. Lb7 truck

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'd have to get the tune emailed to look it over. I'm sure it was from Nick and I recall his logs confirmed he was hitting it. He limped that thing like crazy until 5th was just not usable even under stock power. Then stage IV from George.

Talk about not caring, he was running a Superchips max tune with a Banks stacked on when I met him, lol lol lol.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Oh haha no problem then there's a guy in town I know with a lb7 that has longhorn tuning we have raced a few times his trans is done in 5th. he beats me off the line cause of my traction issues but once I hook up I gain real estate fast he said I just race you to hear your truck spool up lol. We did a 4x4 roll race when the roads were wet with de over and he was like did you just spin all 4 when we took off? I keep telling him to get his money saved up and I'll build his trans

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I can't wait to build mine, though I doubt I'll tackle it myself. I am 2hrs from Big Dipper and two friends have been extremely pleased with him.

Hopefully I can get the new tune in tonight. Did you see anything I screwed up? Lol. Tnx.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Btw that Danville looks great! It would go well with the larger injector tips I have in the garage, if I ever get them in! Lol

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Oh also - another buddy of mine DD a 2200us tune for 60,000mi in his LLY. Go figure!

LLY's run a good bit smaller injector in them to, so 2200 in a LLY isn't much more than a 2000 in an LB7. I impose a 1850 limit for stock trannies because I can't afford to build somebodys trans if they beat on it with one of my tunes. 1850 is a good limit to stay at with 60% timing at 160 rail pressure. If they want more, you can give them more. Just make sure they know they will be joining club borrowed tiome for the ALLISON. If it's a heavy truck many have limped them at a 1750 pulse, so it's all a crap shoot.