stock trans DSP5 LB7 tune

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Made this tune and loaded ran it in a 02-ccsb with 35's on it. runs really well but when I'm cruising in OD and roll it on hard on number 5 it acts like it slips but doesn't limp the trans. but the tach creeps up even thoughits in lockup in OD at 75mph.

View attachment LB7DSP5stocktrans..tun

Attachments

• LB7DSP5stocktrans..tun
    416.1 KB · Views: 297

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
19xx PW and less then 20deg isnt a very hot setting though, I didn't say the tune was "hot". defnitly along way from a really hot tune in my opinion. just did a stock LLY the week before with pretty much the same tune as far as timing and PW and no problems at all. just wanted some people to look at it and see what they thought.

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
I have noticed that stock trans that ive been in lb7s any way hate anything over 70 horse rolling into it with converter locked in 5th

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
19xx PW and less then 20deg isnt a very hot setting though, I didn't say the tune was "hot". defnitly along way from a really hot tune in my opinion. just did a stock LLY the week before with pretty much the same tune as far as timing and PW and no problems at all. just wanted some people to look at it and see what they thought.

Was the LLY on 35s though? Your tune looks fine, I don't think it's anything in your tune causing the slipping. My friend bought an LB7 with a Bullydog and 5th gear was like another neutral gear before I built his trans. I doubt Bullydog's tune is too "hot" either.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Lly was a stock tire. .well 265's anyway, which I know makes a dfference. But yeah I actually turned it down a little bit before I tuned it because it has 35's and its a kid that drves it.lol I told him 4 was safe but be careful with #5. And don't lb7's injectors flow a little more then lly nozzles? I have heard that but don't know for sure. Seemed odd that it didn't go limp on five if was slipping.

Last edited:

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Lly was a stock tire. .well 265's anyway, which I know makes a dfference. But yeah I actually turned it down a little bit before I tuned it because it has 35's and its a kid that drves it.lol I told him 4 was safe but be careful with #5. And don't lb7's injectors flow a little more then lly nozzles? I have heard that but don't know for sure. Seemed odd that it didn't go limp on five if was slipping.

I have heard that too, but I know pulsewidth between a stock LB7 and stock LLY is just about the same. That being said, I would think the flow difference would be minimal.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Anything much over an 1800 PW will slip it in 5th. 1900 is well outside what a stock ALLISON can reliably hold. I NEVER go over 1850 on a stock trans, and even at that I've had a few limp.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Anything much over an 1800 PW will slip it in 5th. 1900 is well outside what a stock ALLISON can reliably hold. I NEVER go over 1850 on a stock trans, and even at that I've had a few limp.

I see well good to know. I was always under the impression that 1925 or so was the magic number but of course timing would have to be at the right place for that to hold true. So what is the max PW you go on a 6 speed allison? I told him to use setting 4 and under unless he was just getting on it in the first 4 gears. but whenhe comes back to have his speedo dialed in I may just bump it down a little for him. thanks for all the insight.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I see well good to know. I was always under the impression that 1925 or so was the magic number but of course timing would have to be at the right place for that to hold true. So what is the max PW you go on a 6 speed allison? I told him to use setting 4 and under unless he was just getting on it in the first 4 gears. but whenhe comes back to have his speedo dialed in I may just bump it down a little for him. thanks for all the insight.

Which 6 speed? LBZ has slightly higher flow injectors than an LMM does. I believe I push as high as 1900-1925 on 6 speeds, but only in 1st-4th. LMM's are nice in the fact that you can limit the max fueling in each gear. And never bring the fueling in below 2000RPM's on nay of them. The trans can take alot up top, but down low it cannot. It's torque that slips em, and below 2000RPM's you are down in the torque band. Bring it in up top and the trans can take alot of abuse.

And I just took a look at your tune. DSP4 looks to be way to hot for a stock trans to live in 4th and 5th. Way to much fuel down low in the RPM range. I'm a bit conservative by mosts standards, but I would say this tune has shortened your ALLISONS C3 clutches lives quite a bit.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Well it hasn't limped and it has only been in there for less then a day, I can always turn it down. Thanks Good info though.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Regarding 6 speeds: I ran a tune with a pulsewidth of 2700 uS for over a year. Is that "safe" though? I'd say certainly not. I was planning at the time to build my trans, so I didn't really care. I also never limped the transmission though, sometimes it's just luck of the draw. I wouldn't say I "beat" on it, but made at least 20 13-second dragstrip passes. I'd say general rule of thumb 1900-2000, but even that over time will probably cause some damage.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well it hasn't limped and it has only been in there for less then a day, I can always turn it down. Thanks Good info though.

Just because you haven't limped it, doesn't mean you haven't slipped it. It takes a few seconds of slippage before the TCM will limp and default to 3rd gear, but once the clutches get slipped under power they will glaze.