Grenaded CP3

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Anyone ever seen one that had a major hard part failure? We had an 01 come in at work that had a massive fuel leak in the valley. I started pulling stuff apart to get to it, and came to the conclusion the leak was coming from the CP3. When I pulled it out, I found one of the press in freeze plugs (I guess that's what they're for) was laying in the valley along with a bunch of shrapnel. There was another freeze plug that was loose and fell out after it was out of the truck. The surprising thing is the truck started and ran. The guy was complaining about a loss of fuel mileage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 306
  • cp3.jpg
    cp3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya that looks like a plunger broke, pluged the return outlet and then it blew up. Tear it down and get some pics if you can Josh!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
In the cp3 it self? Josh you said shrapneall?is one of the pistons fubared?
I think so, but it's hard to tell without tearing into it.

Ya that looks like a plunger broke, pluged the return outlet and then it blew up. Tear it down and get some pics if you can Josh!
I want to tear it apart, but we might have to send it back in as a core.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bolt it back up after. OR throw all the pieces in a box-they just want the case anyhow right?:D

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I have seen one or two actually worse. We had one come through our shopin a 800 mile 08 that had lunched so hard it locked up the motor.

Bryce

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
hard to see but looks like the rotor inside is nice and blue and scarred up. makes me wonder if it locked to the shaft and spun, wipeing out some plungers?

Hope no metal got to the injectors:eek:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
In the cp3 it self? Josh you said shrapneall?is one of the pistons fubared?

Ya, it looked like a body plug had been popped. I'm under the understanding any excess diesel is used in the body for lube. If a restriction, be it too much volume, causes excess pressure I'd believe that could be the cause. Otherwise, I have no idea. Maybe WD will chime in.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
On the LBZ pump that blew, we took apart the rails, poured the fuel into a container, and looked at everything. No debris in the outgoing side. But I would look carefully to be safe than sorry.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
hard to see but looks like the rotor inside is nice and blue and scarred up. makes me wonder if it locked to the shaft and spun, wipeing out some plungers?

Hope no metal got to the injectors:eek:

The blue one of the posts of the 4 post lift back behind the pump. You can see through it because both plugs are gone. All 8 injectors are being replaced too. I have no idea how many miles this truck was driven like that, but it looks like it has diesel all down the sides of it.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
The blue one of the posts of the 4 post lift back behind the pump. You can see through it because both plugs are gone. All 8 injectors are being replaced too. I have no idea how many miles this truck was driven like that, but it looks like it has diesel all down the sides of it.

:rofl: Whoops! :D eye playin trickery on me! I didnt look close enough, though i was seein the pump rotor!

I guess some people are just that ignorant. They complain bad MPG's but fail to notice major leakage and diesel smell? I saw one round here not too long ago, coupious amouts of white smoke, lt was an lb7 truck so prolly a hung injector. Sounded like crap and looked like residue around the tail pipe. Poor truck, engine prolly didnt last long before it torched a pistion. Drivin around without a care, so it seemed.

WHTNOT

Sep 24, 2022
Anyone ever seen one that had a major hard part failure? We had an 01 come in at work that had a massive fuel leak in the valley. I started pulling stuff apart to get to it, and came to the conclusion the leak was coming from the CP3. When I pulled it out, I found one of the press in freeze plugs (I guess that's what they're for) was laying in the valley along with a bunch of shrapnel. There was another freeze plug that was loose and fell out after it was out of the truck. The surprising thing is the truck started and ran. The guy was complaining about a loss of fuel mileage.

attachment.php

attachment.php
I know this is an old post, but did you ever find out what caused this? I just installed a reman cp3 in my 03 LB7 drove it 3 time with everything looking good on my scan tool,. Took it to the store and when I got home it was pouring diesel down the valley and onto the driveway. Ran a magnet down there a came up with a bunch of smashed internals. Truck still starts and runs smooth with is mind boggling to me.

Reactions: LBZ