Casper goes 193.x in 3 mile 197.x @ 2 1/4

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
It was good to meet you guys. :hug: Wish I had more time to shoot the bull, the truck looks even better in person. Pat and Kat couldn't be nicer hosts, Johnny (gasuout) was really cool too. Thanks for showing me around guys, drive safe on the ride home and congrats on the record. :happy2:

It was nice meeting you also :hug:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Here is the only video that I have so far. Thanks Jen :hug: It might still be uploading.

[YOUTUBE]n6PEczoyzq0[/YOUTUBE]

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Greetings from Bonneville!

First of all, I need to give thanks to all who helped us with Casper, and that's quite a list. So if I forget someone, PM me and I will edit the thread.

Kat, Tom, and Allison for putting up with me and our racing. I couldn't ask for a more supportive family.

The SCTA/BNI crew for giving us a great venue to drive too damn fast at.

Robert Miller for helping me wrench on Casper and dropping everything he was doing to come to Bonneville with us.

Johnny James for wrenching, towing, and pit crew duties.

The gang at PPE, for making the go fast goodies we really need.

Mike L, for proving the Allison can in fact do it all.

Trippin at SoCalDiesel for pushing the envelope with Dmax hard parts.

Garrett Turbochargers for help with the right turbo selection.

EFILive for giving us the tools to put it all together.

And lots, lots more. Casper has always been a community project by the Duramax enthusiasts and shops from all over. Especially the members of this website, who have shared their experiences and ideas with me and other Dmax hotrodders freely.

Take a bow, could not have gotten here without all of you. :hug:

Anyhow, we arrived Thursday and went to tech. Last year that was a real struggle, but we have gotten better at it, and passed with no squawks. The winds hit very hard that day and stopped us from working. Friday we set up the truck and our pits and made final adjustments.

Saturday morning we went to the Special Short course, and ran the truck. It took off very slow since I didn't want to spin the tires or hurt the 9" Currie axle. When it hit fourth gear, it took off like a rocket. At first I had strong vibrations that I could not identify but by the time it hit 150mph they smoothed out. It accelerates HARD at 175mph, and the datalog shows we just crested 200mph shortly after the 2.25 mile beams, but at 2.75 miles, BANG!!! All power fell to zero, so I dropped the chute and popped it into neutral and coasted to a 193mph average into the emergency area.

Since A/DT is an open record class, we went into impound to back up the numbers for the record. We found the BANG, which was an intercooler hose that got too close to a hot area and burst. It was so loud they heard it back on the starting line.

The next morning the air was very cold, and Casper doesn't have the glowplug controller connected. It idled very bad and took 15 minutes to get up to temp. We ran the backup run at the Short Course, and went 175mph through the first mile, but at about the two mile something wasn't right, power was falling. Then there was another pop, but not as loud as Saturday's run, and then the cabin started to fill with smoke. I popped the chute, and again headed to the emergency area. This time, there was so much smoke that they sent the ambulance and fire truck out to visit me. Very fast response time when you consider how much real estate they have to cross. I thought the truck was on fire, so I first bailed out, then killed the electrics. But it was just a large amount of oil blowby out the breathers and dipstick. We don't know what happened yet other than the engine is missing on one cylinder. It drives, but something is wrong that we could not repair with what we had available.

Again, thanks out to all of you.:hug:

PS - Going 197mph+ in a pickup is a freakin' rush. :joker:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Hi Kat, Faye here. Congratulations to both of you on your runs! That is awesome. I could probably spare a couple mph if you need to borrow some:D I could even deliver if needed;) as long as I don't have to bring back pennies.:rofl: