05 LLY Sleeper Build

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
For the money and your goals I still think the Allison is the most reliable. What your doing is the same thing that I’m doing with my 06 regular cab. You spend anywhere from 8500 to 25k plus on the tranny along. I have quite a few passes on my ccsb at 7200 lbs that are mid 6 area. I have not had a problem with it. Suncoast says they can make a 47/48 not break for me but you will be using a low stall and dump valve for that to happen. That setup will run you around 14k. Having a overdrive is a must unless it’s a dedicated race truck. All the others trans are just out of my budget for a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I might be opening a can of worms here but why can't somebody build a better controller for the allison?I know they can't shift as fast as some others trans but if they could just shift consistently the improvement would be huge.Is it the tcm trying to constantly improve the shifts and instead making them wor

I have no idea what I did. Must of had the thread open while at work rigging loads up.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You can be vary consistent racing with a Allison. It just has to be a dedicated race truck. In my opinion once you're within .05 of a second in 5.90 it all becomes luck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i also dont see why C3's wont last over 50 passes. something not right there, i know of guys with more than that and no issues.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So I know it wasn't a popular opinion but I have 100% decided to go down the 4R100 path after talking to some 5.90 guys and faster about their experiences with reliability and repeatability.

I don't know if I should make a new thread as this truck will probably never see another event as the extended cab. It'll be a 05 VIN with a 02 front clip regular cab the next time it is at any event :(

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well, after talking with Don at Flux, we're going to go from 275% to his 425% with his Magnum body mods. With the new goals of the truck we feel it is a better choice to help save the motor as it will mainly be competition only at this point besides the street portion of race week.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well still making almost zero progress. I did pick up the frame I'm going to be using (02 2500HD gas) for the build over the past weekend from a gentleman in Iowa. I'll be using the frame, front clip, and probably bedsides as I would like this truck to be 01-02 front end as it's my favorite and also matches my tow-rig.

DHD also has asked me if I'd be interested in helping develop their Duramax to 4R100 conversion billet rear engine covers so of course I said yes. They will be picking up my 4R100 core tomorrow (gas case) to get that ball rolling. I also have a full comp build on order with Brian at Brian's Truck Shop that should take the power (they're proven to the ~2k mark pretty reliably). I will be using a Fluidyne DB-30613-S11 as the main transmission cooler (if it needs more I'll add a second one), Derale 65861 as an engine oil cooler, and a Derale 15850 as a fuel cooler before it heads to the 20gal Rhodes fuel cell.

I also decided to try some different manifolds/up-pipes (I've had absolutely zero issues with Rick @ ProFab's cast manifolds/up-pipes but figured I'd try something a little different). HSP has been great to work with in the past and has assured me that if there are any issues with this set we will figure out the root cause and get the design figured out to not fail in that manner again.

I am still waiting on the 8.50 pre-bent cage from Firepunk as they're having a hard time getting Docol R8 tubing. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if that also applies to Chromoly as well or just Docol. I will be making my own driver seat mount and using a Corbeu FX1 wide for a race seat along with their harnesses. I will be installing a Firebottle AMRC-1002 for safety as well as welding all the holes in the firewall solid and installing a PPE firewall insulator just for good measure.

The truck will also be going from a Fuelab setup to a FASS performance series (more on that once they're available and in my hands) as well as going to a single Industrial Injection XP series pump to help simplify the plumbing as well as remove anything from the belt that I can. It'll be nice knowing that if I toss a belt mid-pass or mid dyno pull I will not drop power due to only running the one pump.

Attachments

• IMG-1931 (1).jpg
    IMG-1931 (1).jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-1933 (1).jpg
    IMG-1933 (1).jpg
    312 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-1932 (1).jpg
    IMG-1932 (1).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-1914 (1).jpg
    IMG-1914 (1).jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: slowlml

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont see how those manifolds could possibly be better than Rick's in any way. Look like a pair of fabricated stockers to me, and probably wont flow worth crap.
That may be a mistake, Brad. At your power levels, you cant afford to have anything restrict flow at all.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I dont see how those manifolds could possibly be better than Rick's in any way. Look like a pair of fabricated stockers to me, and probably wont flow worth crap.
That may be a mistake, Brad. At your power levels, you cant afford to have anything restrict flow at all.

These definitely do not restrict flow.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
These definitely do not restrict flow.

I don't think they'll restrict flow at all. Internally they are much larger BUT we will find out. With as stripped down as the truck is, it won't be a big task to change manifolds and up-pipes if there is an issue. The other nice part is these as well as steed speed maintain OEM up-pipe geometry so if there ever is a failure I can likely find replacements easier/faster at an event.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
chromoly is hard to get as well. my steel yards here have had a bitch of a time getting it in and once they do, its gone that day. DOM and HREW aint an issue but to run that in a 8.50 cert cage, you need .134 wall and larger overall dia which will add a little more weight in comparison to the requirements for chromoly.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
chromoly is hard to get as well. my steel yards here have had a bitch of a time getting it in and once they do, its gone that day. DOM and HREW aint an issue but to run that in a 8.50 cert cage, you need .134 wall and larger overall dia which will add a little more weight in comparison to the requirements for chromoly.

That's an area I'm leaving up to Firepunk. I know Rick said they love Docol R8 and also use Chromoly, I do believe he said they don't use DOM due to the weight and bend radii of their dies. A close friend of mine has worked in a chassis shop for ages welding tube chassis/cages but doesn't have the time to bend a cage and honestly he believed he'd be more expensive than the prebent Firepunk kit due to his time/not having a bend chart.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
correct, if they have a certain design around Docol or chromo, going to DOM or HREW is not a good idea as it wont structurally be the same. DOM/HREW will require more support structure imho. die radius doesnt really make sense as i have some pretty tight radius dies and bending HREW is no issue. its generally just a worry about wall thickness. too thin and it starts to kink the tube instead of stretch/bend it.

your buddy is probably right. doing the first cage in anything is very time consuming and due to that, there will be things he or you dont like once finished that would probably be changed down the road. its half the reason im dragging my feet on caging my tracker. a prebent setup that is well engineered can be worth its weight in cash just due to time saving and egineering.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
correct, if they have a certain design around Docol or chromo, going to DOM or HREW is not a good idea as it wont structurally be the same. DOM/HREW will require more support structure imho. die radius doesnt really make sense as i have some pretty tight radius dies and bending HREW is no issue. its generally just a worry about wall thickness. too thin and it starts to kink the tube instead of stretch/bend it.

your buddy is probably right. doing the first cage in anything is very time consuming and due to that, there will be things he or you dont like once finished that would probably be changed down the road. its half the reason im dragging my feet on caging my tracker. a prebent setup that is well engineered can be worth its weight in cash just due to time saving and egineering.

That was my thoughts exactly!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not much progress has been made. We're back to fabricating the triples and are making some headway there. My 8.50 cert pre-bent cage from Firepunk shipped today as well so now I can get started on that.

Reactions: Silver06