LLY Tuning - Built Engine/Compounds

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Having some issues dialing in my tuning for my LLY. It received a complete makeover recently (see sig). It's smoking like crazy and hazy at idle. Some folks on the forum, and I hope they chime in, said 100's weren't hard to tune. I'm using a well known tuner but we aren't getting there after 6 revisions. Smoke output in 5th gear is constant, even on flat ground - just gets thicker as you roll in. Only cleans up (some) once I get a downshift - even then, its still pushing black smoke but much lighter level. Towed 20k up to oregon and back and there's soot all the way down the 40ft trailer. To give you an idea how much I'm talking, theres soot on my mudflap which is 6" infront of the exhaust outlet. Its just swirling around back there and basically unless I run constant 25-30PSI, its just billowing.

Where should I point him next? He's saying it might just be my truck and have to deal with it, but I'm telling you what - rolling this much smoke is obnoxious and is what gives our built engines a bad name. The less I drive it this way, the better.

He sent me a new tune with a table which should be setup for the new valley turbo, added a little timing, increased rail pressure across the board, etc. but the smoke output seems about the same. Vane position looks to be about 85% at idle up to about 1800rpm, then it dips down into the mid 50's then at 80% throttle, it was down around 6%. Seemed like as I added throttle, the vanes stayed at 85% DES. I can post my log's if anyone has interest in reading them. I'm not the one doing the tuning and the file is locked.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
If it's a reputable tuner, I'm assuming they know how to compensate (and you say you've been through several changes), so I'd be inclined to think there is something going on with the vehicle itself. Boost leak, intake restriction, etc. if it's not a reputable tuner (or one versed in the mods you have), it may be time to seek out another.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I’m gonna say there’s something wrong with the injectors, even on a bone stock tune it shouldn’t smoke that much at idle

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Would it be possible to go back to the previous file you had to see if it's doing the same thing? To see if it's a tuning issue or something mechanical on your end.

I had a similar issue on my truck (built motor, 475 over a Garrett stage 1, built trans, and 60 overs from Lincoln Diesel). My truck was smooth throughout the powerband but anything over 35 pounds and up it would dump fuel. Took me a little bit to figure out my issue but turns out two of my up pipe bolts slowly backed out somehow.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Would it be possible to go back to the previous file you had to see if it's doing the same thing? To see if it's a tuning issue or something mechanical on your end.

I had a similar issue on my truck (built motor, 475 over a Garrett stage 1, built trans, and 60 overs from Lincoln Diesel). My truck was smooth throughout the powerband but anything over 35 pounds and up it would dump fuel. Took me a little bit to figure out my issue but turns out two of my up pipe bolts slowly backed out somehow.
I’m going to do another boost leak test to see if anything has changed. It was tight before - no leaks and had smoke from the get go. Maybe I missed something so I’ll check it out. I’ll double check my up pipes but I double and triple checked all the bolt torques for that very reason as I didn’t want to mess with them again.

Reactions: Animals1234

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Logs or video no werky for me. How bad are the intake air temps? No amount of tuning is going to fix 160-180F intake air temp when working the truck hard, just imagine what the intercooler is seeing after that 160F+ temp get compounded through each turbo.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
The 600-700F the intercooler is seeing pulling a hill is not helping engine temps either, all that heat off the intercooler goes right into the radiator. This is a never ending battle with twin trucks, those who say otherwise either: 1. Don't know any better, 2. Don't tow big loads in mountainous regions, 3. Or have had a custom airbox made and have a awesome intercooler. There is just no way in hell to fix this problem with a open air filter under the hood and heating the air twice with two compressors. It sucks but moral of the story is my stock turbo/airbox LMM tow's better than my twinned truck if you don't count the horsepower.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I'm getting a link error that says my the extension of .efi and .mov are not allowed. I guess that's why the files didn't work.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I’m running bigger turbos than you and 200% overs with no issues. I just towed 18k 4.5 hours away, converter locked in 5th at 65-70 I can’t even get it smoke going up hills. I have zero soot on toy hauler. Idle is clean as well. Wot I barely have any smoke.

here’s toy hauler after 4.5 hours. No soot.
2CD31CF6-1899-42C3-B5D4-20DDAC0AED72.jpeg

Reactions: Bdsankey

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I’m running bigger turbos than you and 200% overs with no issues. I just towed 18k 4.5 hours away, converter locked in 5th at 65-70 I can’t even get it smoke going up hills. I have zero soot on toy hauler. Idle is clean as well. Wot I barely have any smoke.

here’s toy hauler after 4.5 hours. No soot.
View attachment 105948
Are you MAF limited? Something I might suggest to my tuner

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I dont believe it's much of an issue with the LLY, but the LBZ and especially the LMM like to downshift if you get too aggressive with MAF limiting with bigger chargers.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I would verify you don't have any boost leaks (put compressed air into the inlet of your atmospheric turbo) first. If you don't, I would lean toward you having a tune-related issue myself.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I’m thinking tune related as well. My truck runs absolutely great with 200%s 66 stage 3 480 with 1.32 and dual fuelers. Everything that should make it smoke worse than you.