LML oil pump conversion info....

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Gotcha. Very good info! Thank you for taking the time to share!

I assume that there is no clearance issues between the damper and the front cover after you move the damper closer to the cover like your describing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sweet. I think I will doing one this way next go around.

Another question, this pump you say you used 2 washers to shim it. How thick were the washers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The easiest way to go about it when building a new short block for an earlier gen truck is just use an earlier gen balancer and have the rotating assembly balanced with it. I've had customers get all their short block parts by themselves even from big players and DD site vendors, and they get sold the lml balancer because they mention thats the crank they chose to run on their older gen truck. Then they run into having to make the same decision as you did, either space the brackets out or turn down the balancer hub because dealing with exchanging parts with a company across the country is not exactly timely.

DuraRI

Aug 9, 2018
Rhode Island
I know this is a super old thread....But I figured I add what i did. LML oil pump in a LB7 under stock covers. got it all to fit with a little machine work.

7726.jpg7727.jpg7729.jpgfront cover gap.jpglml oil pump and pickup.jpgLML oil pump gear fitment (stock).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I know this is a super old thread....But I figured I add what i did. LML oil pump in a LB7 under stock covers. got it all to fit with a little machine work.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can you re-upload these pics?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I pressed the shaft in the pump gear to get the correct offset for the drive gear, cut the aluminum housing for clearance behind the drive gear. Machined the back of the shaft since it will now poke out the back of the pump after pressing it for proper depth. I had to also clearance the pump on the pressure relief section for a bolt boss on the upper pan, think I also carved on the bolt boss. The upper pan hit the new pick up tube were a stud boss was for the lower pan ended up dimpling the pickup tube and cutting the stud boss a little.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
For your information, You will need the following to put an lml pump on an earlier motor:

Lml oil pump, pickup, front cover, upper oil pan, windage tray, oil pump drive gear, water pump, and plugs for under oil fill and for sensor hole next to oil pump

Doing some research.

I see water pumps listed as 06-16 so is a new water pump only necessary for 01-05?
Will the stock LBZ balancer fit with an LML front cover? Any mods needed to LBZ reluctor or is it is 100% bolt into a LBZ with the parts listed above (and lower oil pan)?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Doing some research.

I see water pumps listed as 06-16 so is a new water pump only necessary for 01-05?
Will the stock LBZ balancer fit with an LML front cover? Any mods needed to LBZ reluctor or is it is 100% bolt into a LBZ with the parts listed above (and lower oil pan)?
Yes, the newer water pump style was listed because I was converting a lb7 based engine. You, Chris, can use whatever balancer you want except an lml balancer, because the offset is different and would require lml brackets for the belt driven components to line up. No mods needed to the reluctor.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Yes, the newer water pump style was listed because I was converting a lb7 based engine. You, Chris, can use whatever balancer you want except an lml balancer, because the offset is different and would require lml brackets for the belt driven components to line up. No mods needed to the reluctor.

Sweet. I've got head gasket issues now (actually have been smelling/using coolant the last two years) and bought a whole complete (non running) LBZ for $250 (plus the one I got from you years back). Unfortunately the one I got from you is in pieces (as my plans to build it got shelved) and things went missing over the years so I found a smoking deal on a pull out LBZ (everything minus turbo/CP3). It's worth it just in bits pieces and fasteners that went missing. Everything looked good on teardown and I think it had a bad injector as there was no mechanical issues and one piston top had no "flower pattern" (can't tell if injector hung open or closed, but no scoring on cylinder wall so I'm thinking it stopped working). My plan is to build it this year and remember you saying doing the LML pump was worth it (especially if the engine is on the stand). Trying to gather the parts now so that I can have everything ready when the time comes. It all costs the same in the end, but it feels easier on the wallet doing it a little at a time. Nothing special (still a stock turbo with wheel), but going for longevity/reliability and figure the extra oil won't hurt (going to do a 2020 oil cooler as well).

Thanks!

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I only told ya the pump would fit, made my own windage trays on the med duty pans. Kinda hard fittin a round tube through a square hole I bet.. :)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Actually it turned out ok, surprisingly it actually looked pretty good :LOL:. If it wasn't for you I probably never would have tried thanks for the encouragement. I should have taken a few pics though.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Actually it turned out ok, surprisingly it actually looked pretty good :LOL:. If it wasn't for you I probably never would have tried thanks for the encouragement. I should have taken a few pics though.

That was going to be my question is how much did you cut up the windage tray. I'm doing my LB7 next.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Not much just enough to clear the pickup if i rember correct it's right down the middle. Tthe bolts still hold the windage tray in so it bo big deal. You will see when you get to it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not much just enough to clear the pickup if i rember correct it's right down the middle. Tthe bolts still hold the windage tray in so it bo big deal. You will see when you get to it.

Gotcha, so what you're saying is pretty much slice the middle out and remove any burrs.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Hey guys while i had the front cover off this week figured I'd share a pick of my LML pump conversion setup. This is on a medium duty pan, but clearance there is same as 4x4 truck.

You can see where i cut the pump body and gear shaft to fit reluctor ring. A little trim on the pan edge and done.

My buddy actually replaced the LML pump gear shaft with LMM last week and that works too. But we pinned these gears, so was just as easy to machine the shaft while out. Hope this helps.

720126ffebe5a24ecf7d12e5138df8d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So you can run a larger LML pump with an LMM shaft, and it fits easier into the older engines?