LML oil pump conversion info....

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
For your information, You will need the following to put an lml pump on an earlier motor:

Lml oil pump, pickup, front cover, upper oil pan, windage tray, oil pump drive gear, water pump, and plugs for under oil fill and for sensor hole next to oil pump

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
What we ended up doing all day instead of getting it running was: make 3/16" shim for oil drive gear, clearance the tray, clearance the new pickup tube, drill 3 new holes in lower oil pan, make longer bolts to fit thicker cover (only thicker where least convenient), and a few other fun things. Im pretty sure there wasnt one thing we touched that we didnt have to re-engineer again

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Oil Pump

I guess I just don't see the need. I have never had a problem with the stock oil pump. Looks like a lot of work for nothing to me.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So in other words, you need everything that would hang below the bottom rail of the block with the exception of the rear cover.

You have to admit that even though GM changed a lot on the LML, the parts do retrofit to the older motors. Thats not easy to do.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The truck is driving and I am breaking in the motor, no sign of buzzing. One of many things that would probably affect this is oil type and viscosity. I run cenpeco 20 w-50

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
The truck is driving and I am breaking in the motor, no sign of buzzing.

Always a good sign :thumb:

And I know what you mean. Someone tells you all you have to do is X in order to get a little benefit (and you figure why not, every little bit helps), then you find out it's not so easy but yet you are already half way into it and want to finish it on principle. Thanks for the heads up though, you'll same some people a lot of aggravation.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
It really would of been a simple swap over if we had the parts mentioned above. I wouldnt hesitate to do it the next time my motor needs to be rebuilt. Even though it was time consuming we were able to come up with solutions to all the issues we ran into to get it together properly.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Honestly I don't see any advantage to using the LML over an LBZ/LMM/LLY pump unless you are going with dual piston squirters in which case more oil flow would be advantageous and required.
But to each his own. It likely won't hurt anything except maybe your pocket book to do it.
Thanks for the info on parts needed!!