Brake upgrades (stock replacement)

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The lbz is about due for new brakes, I have zero complaints with the stock system and will go back to the same unless it’s worth it.

Are the stock replacement options worth the extra $? I’ll eventually be stepping up to 37s.

Drilled and slotted rotors, and better pads such as ebc. Not debating ceramic vs organic. Also is the life span as good as oe?

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I’m OEM all the way here Corbin.

my stock fronts have 135k on them with over half pad left

rears went around 80k due to a stuck caliper slide

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think you want the orange pads or OEM. OEM will last the longest. Also, I wouldn't run drilled rotors on our trucks. Crack too easy

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Another thing you can do while you do brakes, is suck your reservoir almost dry. Get all the old fluid out. Refill, and bleed each corner to get all the old fluid out. Brake fluid attracts moisture, which gives you a softer pedal.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Another thing you can do while you do brakes, is suck your reservoir almost dry. Get all the old fluid out. Refill, and bleed each corner to get all the old fluid out. Brake fluid attracts moisture, which gives you a softer pedal.

good point, I have a brake flush machine so it’ll get this treatment when it gets new brakes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I’m OEM all the way here Corbin.

my stock fronts have 135k on them with over half pad left

rears went around 80k due to a stuck caliper slide

ive always went straight oe when I’ve done my previous trucks.It’s never been an issue. And mileage is insane on these trucks brakes unless towing constantly

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
NP. This section really should be called "brakes and suspension". As for brakes, just use quality parts. Id probably shy away from drilled/slotted for a daily.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
@gmduramax was just talking to me about doing this on my old truck.

i wouldnt do drilled rotors but slotted would be ok. Drilled makes them crack. Then add either hawk or EBC severe pads and should make a difference. if you want the same life span, id keep stock stuff. The other pads will wear much quicker and be dirtier.

NP. This section really should be called "brakes and suspension". As for brakes, just use quality parts. Id probably shy away from drilled/slotted for a daily.

Updated 😁

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Man, I put Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors on my truck over the summer and they are amazing. Best brakes I’ve ever had on any of my trucks. Not expensive and they look great with the coating too. The pads are a hybrid.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I agree with others, drilled rotors are not great on these trucks if your goal is longevity. My truck has EBC slotted/dimpled GD3 rotors and their orange pads and you'd think it stops like a Corvette, especially once I added the LML hydroboost. I cannot comment on lifespan as the truck spun a main not shortly after and has been sitting since. I'm hoping to get it out and finished here shortly (hoping late April/early May).