Blew up my 72mm turbo.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
The previous owner put a Danville Performance 72mm turbo in my lbz, the turbo is great and I loved it while it lasted but unfortunately it blew up. Something started acting up so I pulled over to check it out, I checked out what I could with what I had and nothing seemed wrong. I was out of town so I just kept heading back until my turbo popped and blew a whole bunch of white smoke out of the exhaust. I had no option but to keep driving home for about an hour because my truck is too big for tow companies to tow. So my question is what do I do now. Would the turbo wheel would have broken and thrown metal pieces everywhere? What do I need to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Ferrante801

I hate everyone.
Apr 2, 2019
If it were me i would get a new inter-cooler especially if you kept driving since a majority of the material on the intake side of things ( compressor wheel ) would have gone through that and pray none made it past the inter-cooler into the cold side of things. Yes you can " have it cleaned" but this falls in how long you drove it and how much shit is actually caught inside it now that makes me lean to get a new one.

Then once you get a new IC and turbo would clean out the CAC piping hot and cold just to clean out any oil and debris it may have left as well as intake. Then if it sent a bunch of oil in the exhaust this one comes down to preference but is also easy to take off and clean out.

Im sure i missed some things someone will pick up on but this is where i would start in this scenario.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm with Dominic, I would get a new intercooler. I've gone down the cleaning route (4-5 hours and I couldn't get anything else out of it) and it still ended up being restrictive. You'll need to pull all the plumbing and make sure to clean all the oil/debris out including the air intake. As for the exhaust, it's up to you about cleaning it or letting it burn out. I would also check to make sure any sensors in the intake clam shells (IDK what generation your truck out, please fill in your signature) and see if the MAP got some debris in it.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
What Dom and Brad said, many guys will try to clean it but it always bites them in the ass down the road. Anytime a turbo gernades and shatters the compressor wheel you are best to change the cooler cause those pieces are lodged in the core and a good bark will pop them free and there goes your new turbo. This happens far too often unfortunately. Save yourself that headache and get a new intercooler!

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Not disagreeing with a new IC, but dumb question: as the IC is post-turbo, how will a bark dislodging a chunk kill the turbo?

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Ok the both the turbines look fine and they don’t look damaged. There’s oil everywhere though. In all of the turbo piping and the intercooler is flooded with it. I have decided in getting a new intercooler and not go down the cleaning road. But there is oil in the coolant now and I’m not sure what to do with that. Can I just flush the system or is there something else I need to do?

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
The best way to clean out the oil from the cooling system is to do multiple flushes with water and dawn dish soap. Drain out the coolant and oil. Refill with water and add a 1/4 cup dish soap and run till hot and repeat. Then multiple water rinse cycles to get all the soap out. Then refill with fresh antifreeze.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
After the first drain, are the 2nd/3rd/4th fill and flushes clean enough to dump directly or do they still come out dirty/hazardous enough that they should be contained and brought to a proper station?

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
I would see what comes out and use your judgement. After the 2nd rinse it should be just soapy water, The oil floats ont the coolant so I would try to suck the oil off the top of the coolant in the bottle to start.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would use dishwasher detergent over dawn. It doesn't sudds as much so it has less of a chance of forming bubbles in the cooling system. I've used it and seemed to work well

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The best way to clean out the oil from the cooling system is to do multiple flushes with water and dawn dish soap. Drain out the coolant and oil. Refill with water and add a 1/4 cup dish soap and run till hot and repeat. Then multiple water rinse cycles to get all the soap out. Then refill with fresh antifreeze.

How’s your engine running? This is starting to sound more serious than a blown turbo.... hopefully I’m wrong.

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
Is it even possible to mix oil and coolant in the turbo? I think the center section would have to be cracked for it to happen.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Engine ran fine after it blew on the way home . I’m confused as much as you guys I have no idea how coolant got in there

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
Oil pressure is usually always higher than coolant system pressure. If the center section of the turbo cracked it could push oil over to the coolant side. I would want to tear down and see that to verify it.

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
I could see coolant leaking into the oil through the drain when the engine is off too. May want to see whats in the oil pan.