Where to buy a Tech II

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Well, I got notified today to expect delivery tomorrow 1/10/18. Seeing as how I only ordered it on Friday 1/5, that's pretty fast shipping.

I'll keep you guys posted.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Unit arrived on 1/10/18, pretty impressed with the shipping seeing how it was ordered on 1/5/18 and there was a weekend in there.

I did have to upgrade the firmware before SPS would recognize it, but remember mine's an MDI, not a tech II. I had read some of the Tech IIs didn't like being updated?

After that it worked fine. Happy with the purchase.

With the new Global A Architecture vehicles, this should come in handy. Until they change the protocol again!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Unit arrived on 1/10/18, pretty impressed with the shipping seeing how it was ordered on 1/5/18 and there was a weekend in there.

I did have to upgrade the firmware before SPS would recognize it, but remember mine's an MDI, not a tech II. I had read some of the Tech IIs didn't like being updated?

After that it worked fine. Happy with the purchase.

With the new Global A Architecture vehicles, this should come in handy. Until they change the protocol again!

Unfortunately, they already have changed. There is an MDI 2 out that they are using in the dealers now.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Unfortunately, they already have changed. There is an MDI 2 out that they are using in the dealers now.

I actually thought because the one I bought has wifi, it was a MDI II, but SPS only recognizes it a a MDI. My mistake I guess.

But it works on the lightning stuck Cadillac I'm doing and on my Denali, so I'm happy with the purchase.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I've had trouble with the MDI I bought.

Had to send it back once for repair, that was a challenge. Their website stated it would be covered under warranty (12 months), I just had to cover the shipping to send it back.

Shipping to China was $70? I think? Then once they repaired it, I had to paypal them another $65 to get them to send it back (which was a contradiction to the stated policy on their website). So I had $135 into repairing a $165 unit.

It worked when I recieved it, but within a couple months the mini USB port fell apart. I bought a 5 pack of replacement ports off of Amazon, took it to my local PC repair place. They soldered the replacement port on to the PCB.

It still wouldn't work, but I figured out how to do a hard reset on it. That seemed to resolve it.

It's working now, but I won't buy another one from them. Hopefully the tech II's are better.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Have you tried reprogramming any of the modules with it? I was playing with it a bit today, my computer is too new for the disc( or at least it appears that way) I found this https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Looks like you can do a single Vin for 2 years. All I really need to do is re program the drivers seat module per a TSB

Remember mine is an MDI, not TECH II. Yes, I have reprogrammed several modules with it, but the with an MDI it is basically just a pass through to allow a WiFi connected laptop, to talk to the module.

Then depending on the situation, I use SPS for module programming. Then GDS2 for diagnostics. Those are both applications within the TIS2WEB website.

I bought a 2015 Cadillac SRX that had been hit by lightning, IIRC I replaced and reprogrammed five or six modules on that car. That car was the main reason I needed to buy the MDI, I knew multiple trips to the dealer were out of the question. If you look closely at the picture of the SRX, you can see where the plastic around the antennae is melted and coming off, that was where the lightning hit.

Since then we built a 2015 DMAX for my son, seems like we use it quite a bit there. Word get around to other people rebuilding wrecks, they know I can do the module stuff, so it does get used.

Co worker is building a 2014 DMAX, front hit. His ECM is DOA. He has ordered a new one, when it comes in I'll be programming that truck as well.

Attachments

• 5_458.jpg
    5_458.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8267.JPG
    IMG_8267.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8543_tn.jpg
    IMG_8543_tn.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 33

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Forgot about it being the MDI. I saw your thread about building that blue truck. I'm just trying to avoid the dealership here, I really don't like dealing with their service department

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Have you tried reprogramming any of the modules with it? I was playing with it a bit today, my computer is too new for the disc( or at least it appears that way) I found this https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Looks like you can do a single Vin for 2 years. All I really need to do is re program the drivers seat module per a TSB
I've used mi e from sicotools to flash several ECM's with no issues. I used the supplied disc and put in the hack I found online, and have had no problems doing flashes via the tech2, but it won't work in passthrough(I'm pretty sure that is a problem with my serial to usb adapter though).

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I've used mi e from sicotools to flash several ECM's with no issues. I used the supplied disc and put in the hack I found online, and have had no problems doing flashes via the tech2, but it won't work in passthrough(I'm pretty sure that is a problem with my serial to usb adapter though).

I need to pick up a usb to serial still. where did you find the hack to allow you to use the discs? I think i found a way to do it, but it involves setting up a virtual machine, which I'm not familiar with, just got the whole thing downloaded, haven't tried it yet

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
well i got the thing working finally, ended up getting a windows XP laptop, and the correct USB to Serial adapter.

It only shows the ECM/VCM as the only thing that can be programmed, I need to reprogram my drivers seat module, but looks like its not possible?

Anyone use the AC Delco TDS to program other modules with a chinese Tech2?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
well i got the thing working finally, ended up getting a windows XP laptop, and the correct USB to Serial adapter.

It only shows the ECM/VCM as the only thing that can be programmed, I need to reprogram my drivers seat module, but looks like its not possible?

Anyone use the AC Delco TDS to program other modules with a chinese Tech2?

What Year make model are you trying to program?