Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So before our trip up to Eagar AZ for TG, the limo decided it didnt like the Ron Davis dual pass rad in it. Core was leaking right at the tank junction. So i pulled it before we left and Ron wanted to see the radiator first hand and see why it was leaking. its 2.5 years old at this point and has maybe 10k on it. Ron gives a 90 day warranty on the rad so i wasnt expecting to get much help with it.

I got a call just before TG from Ron saying they opened up the rad and have nothing definitive on why its leaking other than it may be a radiator flex issue and high pressures i saw from high rpm runs. He initially thought it was electrolysis till i told him i tested it and it was next to non existent (.3v at start up and down to under.1 after warm up) as well as getting new dexcool when the rad went in and about 6 months ago when i put the new engine in. He said they would probably work a deal with me to only pay half for the rad which i thought was fair considering they dont know if the failure was the trucks issue nor do they know if it was a rad issue.

I then get a call today from Ron letting me know the radiator is ready for pick up. i ask how much and he just says "just come pick it up". Holy hell, seriously? I ask if hes sure about that (not that i want to just give money away) and he says absolutely. Apparently hes been getting some calls on dual pass rad's for these trucks and he wants to make sure they stand up. If he doesnt get another call from me, he will be more than pleased UNLESS im calling to buy another rad for something else :roflmao:. he made quite a few changes internally and externally to help with flex as well as the internal pressure it sees and feels it should hold up just fine now.

i could express my gratitude well enough to him and was just surprised as hell. They will be getting my business when ever i can give it to them. So the old girl will be getting a brand new radiator installed for who ever the new owner will be. ill clean the cooling stack out while im at it as well.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Not sure how flexing would be an issue on these. The stock radiators have plastic caps crimped on. It's not a Ford which actually did have issues with frame flex and busted radiators. :spit:

Either way Stand up guy! That's why we used to get our race cars radiators from him. :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not sure how flexing would be an issue on these. The stock radiators have plastic caps crimped on. It's not a Ford which actually did have issues with frame flex and busted radiators. :spit:

Either way Stand up guy! That's why we used to get our race cars radiators from him. :thumb:

I really don’t grasp it either as the radiator floats on the intercooler. The intercooler takes the brunt of it. I honestly feel it was more of a high heat and pressure deal that did it but no idea

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I really don’t grasp it either as the radiator floats on the intercooler. The intercooler takes the brunt of it. I honestly feel it was more of a high heat and pressure deal that did it but no idea

I would think the same thing, a combo of heat and pressure in the system.

When the motor let go last time was it pressurizing the cooling system that you know of?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would think the same thing, a combo of heat and pressure in the system.

When the motor let go last time was it pressurizing the cooling system that you know of?

that might be possible but i dont think so. i never pushed coolant out the overflow, no soot in the coolant (heads were cracked in the exhaust ports only) and no other signs other than coolant pissing out the exhaust. i know the HG was good as i went over those with a fine tooth comb and found nothing.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i only had 2k miles on the oil before i sold it to anthony, if hes willing to take a sample and send it off for analysis along with the miles it had, that would probably give an idea. hes still got 2 oil changes worth of oil too of the 20w-50 race oil lol.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Was just curious. I've been running the S3 in my LB7 for awhile as well as all our personals/tow trucks with great results. The oil in the PSDs seem to be shearing less than Rotella 15W40 which is always a bonus.