Banks Diff Cover Video

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Never knew we had such a huge issue with rear diff temps.......

Just another bs part for squids to buy.

Has Adam ever had any issues? I know the oil gets hot but it’s usually only for short periods or time. Someone towing over weight might see issues, but I’ve never heard of anyone.

I know the Z06 corvette has a factory cooler since 06. But that is designed to see constant power for extended periods of time. If they had that issue on the trucks I’m sure they would come with a cooler.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Lets just say rear ends for these trucks are dime a dozen for a reason. This is just as great as ppe oil pan. Market for newbies.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I've seen substantially higher differential temps going down hill at 10mph in my semi for miles than going uphill at 10mph for miles. Banks is doing a cool video for sure, but it's kinda water under the bridge imho.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Never knew we had such a huge issue with rear diff temps.......

Just another bs part for squids to buy.

Your girlfriend dump you or something? Seems like you know everything now. If you don't like it, it's no good. Lighten up. Get a piece of ass or something.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Your girlfriend dump you or something? Seems like you know everything now. If you don't like it, it's no good. Lighten up. Get a piece of ass or something.

All I am saying is I never have seen a rear diff failure on a duramax cause of overheating. I like to give my opinion. Is it always right? No. But it is stuff that me and my buisness have learned over the years. I'll step back for a while. :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think he said something about the load cell catching fire or something of that nature. I know he posted something about adding cooling fans to fix the problem. I was under the impression it was already back up and running again.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well its about time he listed some info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdtmDl5EDJ8

I have a hard time with the MPG info he gives. 2 issues he didnt address there was "what is operating temp" and what were the actual figures for all 3 covers? you need temp in the diff oil to "loosen up" so mpg isnt effected as much. Too cool, its gunna eat mpg. Based on the later info he gives with the temp drop as the rear diff cools down, 178* is starting to get down in the "too cool" area for best mpg imho but that justification is no more than his own. if he would have stated what his MPG showed with his cover, maybe that would give a better understanding

i do like the fact that he did post the temp differences and in fact the aftermarket mag-hytech actually does cool more than stock regardless of all the "extra work" they do and aeration he clamis. His cover does work better but the mag-hytech does work as well. good to know!

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
After watching his last 30min infomercial I think I'll continue to just use the factory covers. I could see an advantage for severe applications, but an actual severe use during extreme temperatures. But then you have the argument of over cooling during colder months not allowing the fluid to get to temp...

As with everything, pros and cons, but I think $400 could be spent in better places.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
what were the actual figures for all 3 covers?

if he would have stated what his MPG showed with his cover...

I noticed he completely skipped over the fuel economy test results with his cover as well. Things that make you go hmmm.

Jun 1, 2012
Since I went with the ppe covers front rear tranny and pto and oil pan, I am curious how ppe faired vs others.... maybe watching his makes it easier for me... leave them on when I sell the truck....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Since I went with the ppe covers front rear tranny and pto and oil pan, I am curious how ppe faired vs others.... maybe watching his makes it easier for me... leave them on when I sell the truck....

Banks lumped all the flat back covers (PPE, ATS, Mag-Hytec, etc) into one category which isn't an awful assumption. Mag-Hytec is the originator of the design and where it all started.. It seems like they picked the worst offender for each test (temperature, flow characteristics, economy etc) to compare to in order to put a bigger metric on the board. I will say, the PPE cover (in my opinion) is one of the worst offenders in terms of fluid flow with the large horizontal bars that I believe they intended to be used for heat absorption/transfer to the outside fins while realistically they just stop flow going over the gears/axle tubes.

While the testing is awesome, I don't think they're going to spring many owners to buy them at a $400 price-point if they already have an aftermarket cover but I do think they are the best cover on the market in terms of aftermarket units from a benefits standpoint and will gain traction on people looking to add some "bling" to their trucks. To those drivers that tow hard or really work their trucks I think this is a worthwhile and meaningful upgrade as it should increase component and fluid life, but the question is to what extent?

Jun 1, 2012
Banks lumped all the flat back covers (PPE, ATS, Mag-Hytec, etc) into one category which isn't an awful assumption. Mag-Hytec is the originator of the design and where it all started.. It seems like they picked the worst offender for each test (temperature, flow characteristics, economy etc) to compare to in order to put a bigger metric on the board. I will say, the PPE cover (in my opinion) is one of the worst offenders in terms of fluid flow with the large horizontal bars that I believe they intended to be used for heat absorption/transfer to the outside fins while realistically they just stop flow going over the gears/axle tubes.

While the testing is awesome, I don't think they're going to spring many owners to buy them at a $400 price-point if they already have an aftermarket cover but I do think they are the best cover on the market in terms of aftermarket units from a benefits standpoint and will gain traction on people looking to add some "bling" to their trucks. To those drivers that tow hard or really work their trucks I think this is a worthwhile and meaningful upgrade as it should increase component and fluid life, but the question is to what extent?
Well said.... if I buy a new 2021 with the 12inch rear end then I would look at the banks cover....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I still think it’s all horseshit. Diffs don’t fail often in these trucks no matter what the cover. Waste of money and time to worry about it.