Banks Diff Cover Video

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I think he should test the AAM aluminum cover they put on some of the Dodges. I know quite a few people were buying these up (myself included) when they had cheap overstock on eBay

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I think he should test the AAM aluminum cover they put on some of the Dodges. I know quite a few people were buying these up (myself included) when they had cheap overstock on eBay

The ones with the fins? It’ll work good. Gale is just proving a point that adding fluid and the cover not following the pinion gear is creating more heat, basically anyone who bought one wasted money :D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I would rather believe research from almost every member on this forum before I'd believe anything put out by Banks. They've only ever done anything for their own gain. I agree, this has all the earmarks of another marketing campaign for a "better" idea from them.
Damn, Im being really cynical today. :rofl:

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
I want to know what the increased fluid level does for the wheel bearings.

I'm sure that the pinion bearings are getting plenty of oil splashed to them, or there would be thousands of posts complaining. It's not a new product. Also wouldn't the oil getting thrown all over the cover increase the cooling capability of the cover?

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
I would rather believe research from almost every member on this forum before I'd believe anything put out by Banks. They've only ever done anything for their own gain. I agree, this has all the earmarks of another marketing campaign for a "better" idea from them.
Damn, Im being really cynical today. :rofl:

I believe your cynicism is justified. Lol. I kinda feel the same way you do about him.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I'm with Mike L.

I'll stick with stock. Banks is hard to listen to, but in my eyes, that video shows the flat back wall of the aftermarket covers, are a bad idea. That oil looks like it's full of air.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm with Mike L.

I'll stick with stock. Banks is hard to listen to, but in my eyes, that video shows the flat back wall of the aftermarket covers, are a bad idea. That oil looks like it's full of air.

It’s a splash lube system so really who cares about the air in the oil. As long as it’s getting thrown up to the pinion then good enough.

If you watch the f-150 video, at 30mph it too was starting to get bubbles if you watch the bottom. The Ford never went to the 50mph that the dodge did either which really showed the bubbles.

I’d be willing to bet all this testing was actually done over a day or two and the rest of the time was spent editing and reshooting the videos so they worked for them. IMO the evidence is inconclusive.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The ones with the fins? It’ll work good. Gale is just proving a point that adding fluid and the cover not following the pinion gear is creating more heat, basically anyone who bought one wasted money :D

That would be the one. I've been running it, but only because it was under $100, not because I need it. I doubt he'll do a comparison of it in the vids.

It’s a splash lube system so really who cares about the air in the oil. As long as it’s getting thrown up to the pinion then good enough.

If you watch the f-150 video, at 30mph it too was starting to get bubbles if you watch the bottom. The Ford never went to the 50mph that the dodge did either which really showed the bubbles.

I’d be willing to bet all this testing was actually done over a day or two and the rest of the time was spent editing and reshooting the videos so they worked for them. IMO the evidence is inconclusive.

Its too bad the "baseline" wasn't the 11.5 diff, so I'm sure the evidence is being persuaded a touch. But at this point, I'm siding with Banks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That would be the one. I've been running it, but only because it was under $100, not because I need it. I doubt he'll do a comparison of it in the vids.

Its too bad the "baseline" wasn't the 11.5 diff, so I'm sure the evidence is being persuaded a touch. But at this point, I'm siding with Banks

Why exactly? Just curious.

The way I see it there are thousands of trucks with aftermarket out there, and yet we don’t really hear of an excessive amount of diff failures do we? Or do I just live in an area that seems immune to a possible issue he is trying to expose?

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
One of the things I don't understand, is that he's acting like the pinion gear and bearings only get lubed by what the ring gear slings around. Isn't the pinion low enough to get it's own lube? Especially when it's overfilled.:confused:

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
One of the things I don't understand, is that he's acting like the pinion gear and bearings only get lubed by what the ring gear slings around. Isn't the pinion low enough to get it's own lube? Especially when it's overfilled.:confused:

Exactly! Also, why didn't Gale show the Mag-Hytec filled to the high line (8 qts)? Probably because the rotating assembly flooded the pinion with gear oil...

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Why exactly? Just curious.

The way I see it there are thousands of trucks with aftermarket out there, and yet we don’t really hear of an excessive amount of diff failures do we? Or do I just live in an area that seems immune to a possible issue he is trying to expose?

How many people tow at the max gvw? And there's a safety margin built into everything. I'm with Banks on the aeration in the oil.

Jun 1, 2012
How many people tow at the max gvw? And there's a safety margin built into everything. I'm with Banks on the aeration in the oil.
I am curious of the ppe which i bought has fins on the inside, i wonder what that does and i am curious about heat... that is pic of the tranny pan, but diff is close to the same...
a1b78ee131882c295533f3338010ce99.jpg
0d6f22e5e7cba38b901dcc606b09aaee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pinion bearings will only see oil from the ring gear, the way it rotates, the ring gear is constantly pulling the oil away from the pinion when submerged and then is slung up to the top via the ring gear. If you open up a diff, you will see the channel for oil to be slung into and feed the pinion and also see oil keepers.

I don’t feel the cover is stopping any amount of fluid from hitting the pinion bearings BUT I’m very curious if it is causing the oil to heat up more than a stock cover due to the increased work happening to it. that’s what will get me to either get a new cover or keep this maghytech.

The airration doesn’t look any different and with the cover low filled, I only see that helping keep heat down if anything

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It says right on mag hytec site that they run cooler. No actual specs though.