PPEI Next On The Chopping Block???

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
In the long term, I think the only way this industry is going to survive is to go open source. As in, all software is free to use and no license required. The code for it is available and the users will need to fish out the tables and share them. It becomes risky for the one who doesn't know anything and just downloads tunes from the internet. It also will be much more difficult for the guy who does his own tuning but can't read hex

In the end it is just going to be an underground operation with a small but dedicated group. The average joe will have little chance

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I just noticed under the active users on this thread it says 6 members and 3 guests. Wonder if the EPA is one of the guests? :eek::D

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Nothing to worry about with LBZ....continue your build as planned.

This EPA regulation would make it so that there is a problem with the LBZ. Removal of EGR, CAT, DPF, DEF etc are all illegal and seems like they are hell bent on cracking down. Like James said in an earlier post, technically tuning a vehicle is illegal since it doesn't have a CARB-EO associated to it unless it is a 50 state box tuner. I don't know of any CARB-EO certified EFI Live tunes.

The early trucks are going to have the most support in the coming years (federal LB7, 7.3 Powerstroke, pre-CAT/EGR 5.9 cummins) as those are going to be the only ones that can be actually played with and have the least backlash.

It sucks, but I think that is going to be how it plays out.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't know if it's going to be as bad as you think Tom. I think Trump is sticking it to Ca as the leader. If Ca doesn't like it it will outlaw new cars without emissions that they want. People will go across state to buy. Ca car dealers will go out of business. There will be a revolution in Ca. :thumb::D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO Trump was blowing smoke up our asses about that whole "reining in the EPA" thing. That little toad announcing this move against CA certainly looks the part.