01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
i posted this with taptalk but not sure how it got in the allison section

I know there are others that have hated the power steering works in the 01-10 hd trucks. Ive been in search of the best combo that can compare to a all stock newer truck. Ive tried all the big names and after today , satisfied with the steering,braking in the truck now.

Today i drained fluid and replaced my 2.5 year old red head steering box. It had a spot from 11 o clock to 1 o clock that was just dead. No response would really alter the line the truck was on. This is 55 mph while tracking straight down the road. The box was better in the beginning after i had read some mixed results but for the most part all newer boxs i found had good results posted.

My truck does see some hard times off road ,tows 9k a few times a year and just a commuter besides that. The stock box was swapped at 75k from lack of power with 33 tires. The red head went on with a psc pump , lml booster , gas truck cooler and synthetic ps fluid. Im now at 112k miles and just swapped the redhead for the hd PSC XD steering gear and have 34.5" tires. I still cant turn lock to lock when at a stop but i can turn more than i could with the redhead.

The trucks steering now consists of
Lml hydrobooster
Stock master cylinder
PSC XD STEERING BOX
PSC p/s pump
Oem gas truck cooler
All lines converted to hydraulic gates g2 hose
Rare parts tie rods
Cognito idler and pitman supports
4 spline standard pitman (hd pitman will not allow enough threads on the bigger box, and not allow the support kit to be used)
Fox custom steering stabilizer
Valvoline synthetic fluid

Now with this installed comparing the red head vs the PSC box is significant. The steering effort is definitely easier. Not a huge amount but enough to know. The biggest difference is the slop. The red head may have just been worn out or was a bad box that was doomed from the beginning. Either way this new box is staying and i hope will stay this tight for years.
There is no slop in this new box. The old one was dead from 11-1 o clock . New box will change the direction from right to left going from 12 o clock to 1 o clock.
Install was pretty easy ,only changes were the 4 spline pitman, open up steering shaft enough to fit bigger box ( remove lower shaft from intermediate while box is out and open up with flat punch) and then getting the pressure lines on , the new box has slightly different locations but no lines had to be bent or modified on my truck.

Added some pics of the stock/redhead vs the new psc xd. As well as installed.
f08c738f226eb1b6b54440f40bc28649.jpg
f49634dd5b68bad2c511e3c02da9ac20.jpg
91c0109c250cf887a324347e6d81bb16.jpg
d68261e15165db6b9762e3dc2ce18c1f.jpg
7033b2b4ae75d114a08188380268e470.jpg
012353be36aead1bdc37cafac3ce68f7.jpg
40adad027c54513249b9bf16dc3a794e.jpg
e65528f47ca7987a153ccb8bf911b7e8.jpg
ade77d60dd6bb114a86576461a542fcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
i got a deal from PSC since they were out of stock for 650 shipped

After looking at the box , looks like rockauto has the same box in both 4 spline and 3 spline offerings for half the price and they are new box's and not reman

the 4 slot pitman is a 32 spline
3 slot is a 33 spline.

not sure if PSC changes anything in the box but there appear to be the same physically

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8652948&cc=1433312&jsn=460

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8652936&cc=1433312&jsn=461

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Thanks for posting this! I run 315/70R17 tires (about 35") and have the same problems as you. I have a red head box that is also about done, so I will be pulling it off sooner than later. I like the looks of that XD box quite a lot. Might have to do the same thing.

I guess you swapped the PSC pump on at the same time as the red head box, but I'm curious how much of a difference that makes.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have a hard time buying anything from psc. I’ve seen their junk fail way too much and they can be a bitch to get warranty work done.

Good to know rock auto has those boxes. My napa box from 2008 is finally leaking out the input shaft seal. Debating just warrantying it out for a new one but it’s tight as can be still.

I’ve had good luck with shimming the stock pump pressure reg with one .062 washer and BG full syn power steering fluid. Turning lock to lock on concrete is no issues, same with smooth asphalt. Rough asphalt I have to be off the brake. That’s with the 37s.

Stock hydro boost, exaxt steering kit, stock pump with .062 shim, rebuilt napa box, new lines and the BG fluid.

I also run the BG fluid in my tracker and it’s made a significant difference when crawling. Not sure if it just doesn’t cavitate as easy, sets out better or what

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
It was a few years ago, but I ran a red head in my LB7 and the first one started leaking bad in a few months. The customer service was great from them, called with the issue and they sent a new one immediately and a return label for the old one. The second unit was going strong when I sold the truck after 30K+ miles.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Good to know rock auto has those boxes. My napa box from 2008 is finally leaking out the input shaft seal. Debating just warrantying it out for a new one but it’s tight as can be still.

I’ve had good luck with shimming the stock pump pressure reg with one .062 washer and BG full syn power steering fluid. Turning lock to lock on concrete is no issues, same with smooth asphalt. Rough asphalt I have to be off the brake. That’s with the 37s.
If your only problem is a leaking seal, just throw a seal kit in it. They aren’t bad to do, and the seal kits are cheap. Oreilly sells them for around $20 for their master pro house brand which is the exact same bag as the Edelman and Gates kits I have used as well.

Where are you installing the shim?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i got a deal from PSC since they were out of stock for 650 shipped

After looking at the box , looks like rockauto has the same box in both 4 spline and 3 spline offerings for half the price and they are new box's and not reman

the 4 slot pitman is a 32 spline
3 slot is a 33 spline.

not sure if PSC changes anything in the box but there appear to be the same physically

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8652948&cc=1433312&jsn=460

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8652936&cc=1433312&jsn=461
Thanks for posting these alternate part numbers. We have installed 3 or 4 of those PSC boxes, but I suspect like you that they are the same product without the PSC sticker on it. I just ordered a 3 spline to try out on my friend's truck. I will let you guys know how it compares to one from PSC.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Following as my truck needs a box replacement. I just rebuilt the front end (all 4 tierods, ball joints, idler arm, idler support, pitman arm, upper control arms) and still have some slop. I know the box was loose but its proven annoying on my last long trip so its got to go.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Good info here I am in the process of deciding to rebuild my oem box locally or buy a new one ,This one does look a lot like the PSC one ,And it doesn’t say re-man next to it so it must be new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If your only problem is a leaking seal, just throw a seal kit in it. They aren’t bad to do, and the seal kits are cheap. Oreilly sells them for around $20 for their master pro house brand which is the exact same bag as the Edelman and Gates kits I have used as well.

Where are you installing the shim?

funny you say that. after i posted in here, i had ordered a gates seal kit for this weekends work :roflmao:, if i rebuilt the rack for the tracker, this cant be much worse. plenty of docs on the web too i found.

on the pressure reg of the pump. verify you dont go into coilbind if it pops open though.

The rock auto box and the PSC look identical picture wise.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
on the pressure reg of the pump. verify you dont go into coilbind if it pops open though.
So you're talking about the small spring inside the pressure regulator or the big bypass spring that goes behind the regulator valve and pushes it up against the line fitting? I was experimenting with one the other day and found the regulator is actually adjustable. I need to get a pressure gauge so I can verify pump pressure output.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the small one inside.

i just did a quick search and seems it is adjustable! interesting to know. mike diesel blew his pump up with a washer half my thickeness but i also cant turn my wheels near as easy as he stated he could. Or maybe i backed mine off more when i tighten the nut than it originally was. i dont remember. its been a long ass time.... if i have time after rebuilding my gear box, ill pull it apart and count turns on where mines at.

i just know you dont wanna dick with too much pressure or the pump gives up the ghost. a fellow years ago on DP did that and killed it quick. thats where i got the original idea.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
I have a redhead they just went through for me and well aged pump and booster. Fresh Gm fluid. Every kryptonite part you can throw at it on 35s.

It doesn't have a lot of feedback near 12 o'clock but it is tight. I can see how it could get like yours with some miles on it. It turns fine in a parking lot so long as I'm easy on the brakes at the same time.

The six bolt box looks awesome.what did they come in factory?

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
after a few days with the box in , the ratio is much quicker than stock. i rarely find my self turning more than a 1/2 turn to the left or right. Highway speeds feel stable as can be . Maneuvering the truck is much easier and feels like its much more nimble. The added sport does amplify the body roll without the air bags. Its so easy to have the truck turning from left to right and being my suspension is very soft . Im happy with it now and will continue to update.

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Thanks for posting these alternate part numbers. We have installed 3 or 4 of those PSC boxes, but I suspect like you that they are the same product without the PSC sticker on it. I just ordered a 3 spline to try out on my friend's truck. I will let you guys know how it compares to one from PSC.

Any update on the rockauto boxes? My stock box finally called it quits.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Any update on the rockauto boxes? My stock box finally called it quits.

I’m also interested in how this unit worked out since the end shaft seal in my gearbox is blown. I looked up the rock auto part number posted in the first page and it looks like this beefier unit was used in various Chevy/gmc vehicles.