dome/map lights

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but where is the best place these days to buy LED bulbs. I recently bought a cheap ebay LED interior kit for my LBZ and it has been nothing but problems. Do the 06-07 trucks need the canbus style bulbs to work properly? With the cheap LEDs I was having the issue where the map lights came on at full power when i opened the doors but if I tried operating the maps or rear courtesy lamps interdependently they would be very dim. The cargo light also seems to be wired to the same circuit as the 2 map and courtesy lights? Just wondering what info you guys have because I'd like to have LED in the interior but don't wanna buy more shitty bulbs. And just to clarify I have no issues with any wiring of the truck, Ive had it since new and its only got 40k on it. It hasn't even burnt a original bulb out yet:thumb::eek:. Thanks in advance.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Superbrightleds.com is where I’ve always gotten mine.

2x

This is what I have. Changed out almost everything to LED. No canbus LEDs. Did need to wire in some resistors for the turn signals though

If you have a Batteries Plus Bulbs Store in your area you may be able to get everything there too. Maybe a little more expensive but wouldn't need to pay any shipping

Last edited:

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
So no one with a crew cab has had to wire in any resistors for the map, rear courtesy and cargos to function properly? seems like im the onl one who has had that issue?

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
On my 07 classic, my dome light is the original style as it was very dim or wouldn't work. The other lights in the dome lights come on dim until I turn on the map lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
On my 07 classic, my dome light is the original style as it was very dim or wouldn't work. The other lights in the dome lights come on dim until I turn on the map lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yours does that with Led's or regular bulbs? Mine works normally with the regular bulbs in place, but with Led's I had to keep one regular bulb in either of the map lights, or one regular in the rear individual domes or one in the cargos. I'm hoping this was just an issue of low quality Led's.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
So I got some very nice bulbs from VLEDs however I am still having the same issue. I can't believe nobody on here has encountered this issue. I gotta believe some of you guys with 2003-2007 classic truck have upgraded to LED's?:WTF2:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I used LEDs in my 04 LB7 and in my 08 LMM without any problems. Dims as expected.

What wattage leds are you using? I think the lower watt ones may have that issue. I think my dome light is a 5 watt. Not sure about the map lights. Maybe 1 or 2 watts.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
no idea on the wattage, it isn't listed on vleds site. The issue is the same with the cheapest of the cheap ebay kit to probably the most expensive with the Vleds now. All the lights work perfectly fine and normal with regular incandescent bulbs. This is just a super annoying issue. No hacked up wiring in the truck, no blown fuses or anything....head scratching.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I got these LED bulbs off of eBay use them for all my dome/map lights inside the LBZ they all work perfectly no issues ,
Just a plug-and-play lightbulb I had issues with one of them for the main map light over head it kept flickering but I just popped another one in and it’s been good ever since , Is the bulbs all the way at the bottom of the picture
bde31b17b610176d976152beed754afc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I got these LED bulbs off of eBay use them for all my dome/map lights inside the LBZ they all work perfectly no issues ,
Just a plug-and-play lightbulb I had issues with one of them for the main map light over head it kept flickering but I just popped another one in and it’s been good ever since , Is the bulbs all the way at the bottom of the picture
bde31b17b610176d976152beed754afc.png

Thanks man, I dunno know what the hell to think at this point. I had 3 different companies LED's so far with all the same issues. Just out of curiosity, did you change your cargo's to LED's as well?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I changed my cargo lamps to LED.

Also, changed the turns, markers and brake

On my LB7 I also changed the running lights to LED

Maybe you can contact Ben and see if there is anything in the BCM that may be causing this and if he has a fix

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Thanks man, I dunno know what the hell to think at this point. I had 3 different companies LED's so far with all the same issues. Just out of curiosity, did you change your cargo's to LED's as well?

No I did not change the cargo lights only the interior/it came with license plate lights as well but opted to not do that one,It’s amazing how those cheapo lights last sometimes

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I changed my cargo lamps to LED.

Also, changed the turns, markers and brake

On my LB7 I also changed the running lights to LED

Maybe you can contact Ben and see if there is anything in the BCM that may be causing this and if he has a fix

I changed what I already mentioned plus my door lights, 3rd brake lights and backup lights as well. Everything works great except the 2 map, 2 rear courtesy and cargos. Vleds is being very helpful so far and are looking into further. I did actually leave Ben a voicemail along with a private message on this forum. Cornell is local to me, but I haven't been able to get ahold of him either. I would think between those 2 guys I would be able to come up with some info.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
No I did not change the cargo lights only the interior/it came with license plate lights as well but opted to not do that one,It’s amazing how those cheapo lights last sometimes

I would be using the cheapo's that I bought too if they worked and didn't have these same problems. For what's its worth VLEDS stuff is very high quality and the reverse lights are incredibly bright. I also liked the fact that they offered all of those lights in 5000k, 5500k, and 600k. I went with 5500k and couldn't be happier. The 6000k lights I bought on ebay had a touch of blue, which is my personal preference.