Question: Trent's turbo setup (and turbo's in general)

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
There is a truck I pull with called the rabid ram ram. He is running a 4" hc5 from haisleys. It uses one of cds billet wheels. It is a g trim wheel if I'm not mistaken. I will ask him what size exhaust housing he is running. I believe the hx 82 cover is interchangible. He's not running one due to lack of clearance.

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Back to the original question, it may be helpful to remember the name turboCHARGER. The air receives its first charge from atmospheric to intermediate pressure in the first stage of charging, and the second charge comes from the secondary. This is an easy way to remember and make sense of what has been stated earlier.

I don't know how Trent's turbos will spool, but the way I have read it, the bigger turbo will receive the exhaust gas first and it will then go to the smaller turbos.

While we're on the subject, saying one turbo spools another is a little misleading because it is the exhaust that spools a turbo, not anything else. Pulling air through the bigger turbo will help it light, but that is not what ultimately lights it.

I agree with the second point. As for the first one, I think of the two smaller chargers vs one large one like this:

If you had a 14 second truck, it would reach roughly 100 mph in that time. That truck would reach 50mph in roughly 4 seconds. Now if you could take 2 trucks and have them each reach 50 mph and add the speeds up, you'd still reach 100 mph combined in the 4 seconds. It's not a perfect example, but I think it gets the point across.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
There is a p-pumped powerstroke that runs a g55 as a single or thats what i was told it was is that big enought.

They make a 106mm GT55, do u think we could turn one of those? It has a smaller exhaust wheel than a Holset HC5A or HX80/HX82... Get the biggest housing possible 4 a GT55...

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
They make a 106mm GT55, do u think we could turn one of those? It has a smaller exhaust wheel than a Holset HC5A or HX80/HX82... Get the biggest housing possible 4 a GT55...

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the hx82 turbine off hand? they are one bad turbo! The truck I know of takes some time to spool, but when it lights it is down right violent!

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Do you happen to know the dimensions of the hx82 turbine off hand? they are one bad turbo! The truck I know of takes some time to spool, but when it lights it is down right violent!

Just 4 reference... A GT55 is 4.5 in and 4.1 out, Holsets are slightly over 5" in and a g-trim is 4.4 out and f-trim is 4.1 out.... BIG!!! Like the Garrett thumper units, turbine flows are huge...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I think a 4" turbo could work but it would take a manual truck IMOP , 3.6" is very doable with a auto truck IMOP. The big problem with the 4" and larger turbo's is the turbine's are very big and not very good A/R choices , if you could get a custom turbine housing done with the right A/R it would make things much easier .

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
When you guys refer to compressor size is it the major size or the inducer? Like the turbo on my truck is a 78mm inducer but the major is 102 or 103mm. What wrong with a smaller turbine wheel if your only reving to 4,000rpm? I guess I'm lost here. Some of the t4 turbos I've seen for powerjoke from Turbonetics have about the same size turbine as mine. I'm just trying to understand why if I can make my turbo push 650awhp on my tahoe and have plenty of exhaust flow why can't it be done on a diesel? I understand there is a high boost level needed. Is it just because it's such a lower rpm? I only spin mine to 6k. Or is it because your using way more fuel and the burnt fuel take up more "room" than a gas at same rpm? Just trying to learn and get it through my head is all. My turbine as per Turbonetics is suppose to be able to supper 1000hp. In divided scroll tang arangment I can get a 1.15 a/r housing.

I'm talking about singles here not compound.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Just 4 reference... A GT55 is 4.5 in and 4.1 out, Holsets are slightly over 5" in and a g-trim is 4.4 out and f-trim is 4.1 out.... BIG!!! Like the Garrett thumper units, turbine flows are huge...

Wow that's a big wheel!!! Are the thumpers popular with the big tractors? I haven't heard much about them on the pullers. Lots of drag racers in the gad world seem to use the thumpers. I think precisions large frame chargers on that design?

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
according to the turbonetics guy i talked to today, alot of duramax go with the mid frame turbos. they use a large t4 housing and a 82mm/3.230" turbine wheel. and up to the 78mm inducer compressor wheel. billet wheels are available for them as well.

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
according to the turbonetics guy i talked to today, alot of duramax go with the mid frame turbos. they use a large t4 housing and a 82mm/3.230" turbine wheel. and up to the 78mm inducer compressor wheel. billet wheels are available for them as well.

I havent seen a turbonetics turbo work on a duramax yet as a single, they all have problems spooling, and surging.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't waste your time with turbonetics!I had a mid frame 76mm when I first built my engine. I had nothing but trouble with it. It was slow to spool and surged like crazy like rob already stated. I had a compressor wheel explode destroying the whole turbo. I went with a larger 1.15 housing took 100ft to light on the track. I tried 4 different comp housings and nothing worked. 45psi was all it would make. Went to a 2.8" S400 with 87mm turbine spool was not even compairible. I'm now going to a 3.2" gtx4508 for this season with a 1.28 a/r housing. We will see how that works. If it doesn't perform or breaks precision turbo will be getting my money next!

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
See I thought this was strange too about the mid frames. Looking at my compressor map the flow areas were right in line for what a damx could use (not above 45psi). But when I looked at the more midframe setups everything was right along the surge line. So it makes since that they were surging. I also find it funny that for the cummins and powerjoke guys they list very tiny turbos compared to what he said for the dmax.

I'll probably just go with a turbo that is used more often. I was trying to think out side the box since I already own the tc78. Im sure I can find a use for the tc78 some where else. Maybe put the whole setup with 5.3 in my s-15 I got from my grandpa. Lol.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
See I thought this was strange too about the mid frames. Looking at my compressor map the flow areas were right in line for what a damx could use (not above 45psi). But when I looked at the more midframe setups everything was right along the surge line. So it makes since that they were surging. I also find it funny that for the cummins and powerjoke guys they list very tiny turbos compared to what he said for the dmax.

I'll probably just go with a turbo that is used more often. I was trying to think out side the box since I already own the tc78. Im sure I can find a use for the tc78 some where else. Maybe put the whole setup with 5.3 in my s-15 I got from my grandpa. Lol.[/QUOTE

That would be your best bet. The seem to move a good volume of air just not at the pressure ratios required for a large single on a diesel. Now if we could run say 5000+ rpm I think they would work better and we would be able to keep the boost down a bit.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA

I'll probably just go with a turbo that is used more often. I was trying to think out side the box since I already own the tc78. Im sure I can find a use for the tc78 some where else. Maybe put the whole setup with 5.3 in my s-15 I got from my grandpa. Lol.[/QUOTE

That would be your best bet. The seem to move a good volume of air just not at the pressure ratios required for a large single on a diesel. Now if we could run say 5000+ rpm I think they would work better and we would be able to keep the boost down a bit.

Try to talk to the owner of the Rabid Ram and send me a message if you can get any info out of him...