Question: Trent's turbo setup (and turbo's in general)

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Dude I had one until I was in 6th grade and some times it still comes back and my job is to speak in front of people lol. I hate watchin home movies when I was a lil kid. Pisses me off like nothing else haha

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You guys are all looking at it backward. In a compound turbo setup, the stages are named in the order in which they compress the air. The first turbo to receive air would be the primary. The second turbo to receive air would be the secondary. If you had a triple stage of compression (they are out there) the third turbo to receive air would be the tertiary. Make sense? You can also think of it by which turbo does most of the work. The primary is the one that does most of the work because it is the one that supplies the air. In a compound turbo setup, the secondary doesn't actually supply any air except under very low boost conditions before the primary starts moving air.

So, if I'm understanding the way Trent has his triples plumbed, the two small turbos are the primaries, and the big turbo is the secondary.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
You guys are all looking at it backward. In a compound turbo setup, the stages are named in the order in which they compress the air. The first turbo to receive air would be the primary. The second turbo to receive air would be the secondary. If you had a triple stage of compression (they are out there) the third turbo to receive air would be the tertiary. Make sense? You can also think of it by which turbo does most of the work. The primary is the one that does most of the work because it is the one that supplies the air. In a compound turbo setup, the secondary doesn't actually supply any air except under very low boost conditions before the primary starts moving air.

So, if I'm understanding the way Trent has his triples plumbed, the two small turbos are the primaries, and the big turbo is the secondary.

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't make since for the bigger turbo to be the primary and light first since triples are suppose to spool STUPID fast....? But then again....you are dividing the "large" charger into two smaller ones.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't know how Trent's turbos will spool, but the way I have read it, the bigger turbo will receive the exhaust gas first and it will then go to the smaller turbos.

While we're on the subject, saying one turbo spools another is a little misleading because it is the exhaust that spools a turbo, not anything else. Pulling air through the bigger turbo will help it light, but that is not what ultimately lights it.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho

This. It's almost impossible to have a productive conversation online about primaries/secondaries. It all gets lost in translation. Primary is the big turbo in a twin set or the small turbos in a triple set.

GeorgiaDuramax

Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Georgia

This is what I was thinking as well, but just wasn't positive. Thanks for clearing it up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

i can see how it could be understood that way as well.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
My biggest pet peave is a compound set up being called "twins".

I'm not sure what to call the "triple" kit? "Dual compound"?

Who the hell started that?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Just for you ben lol :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1305263620723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1305263620723.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 108

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

What's wrong with twins when there is two? Not all twins are identical?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

Josh read Trents posts. The larger turbo compresses exhaust first so its the first compression stage. the two smaller receive exhaust second therefore second stage of compression. You can read his posts and understand why the way you explained it is backwards.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Josh read Trents posts. The larger turbo compresses exhaust first so its the first compression stage. the two smaller receive exhaust second therefore second stage of compression. You can read his posts and understand why the way you explained it is backwards.

The exhaust isn't ever compressed by the turbo. The heat energy of the exhaust drives the turbine wheel which drives the shaft and compressor wheel.

Like Josh and others explained the first charger to compress for atmospheric pressure is the primary in the case of triples there are two primary chargers. With a single it acts as the primary but isn't called that as there is no need to designate charger position.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The way I explained it is correct. You don't compress exhaust; you restrict it.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I must be reading Trents posts wrong as he calls the smaller the secondary chargers. His new twin setup is opposite of his others as far as charger size and plumbing.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
:rofl: This is funny stuff , for this reason when I reference turbos i usually refer to them as "high pressure " and "low pressure" , maybe i am up in the night but it makes since to most .

In any case in my setup the large turbo is the high pressure , meaning it is the second stage of compression just like the "top turbo" would be in a compound setup , the low pressure's or "atmosphere" turbos are the other 2 ,the large turbo receives the exhaust gases first then feeds the other 2 in parallel , then out the tail pipe , on the air side of things , the large turbo sucks air through the low pressures until they spool then they force feed the large turbo .