Question: Trent's turbo setup (and turbo's in general)

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
How and the hell do you configure all of this?Size of the primary, size of the secondary ? who feeds what? Trent when you go to sleep (atleast i think you sleep) do you set your brain on auto pilot to desifer all of this?Did you used to work for NASA? Just mind blowing!:eek:

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
:rofl: This is funny stuff , for this reason when I reference turbos i usually refer to them as "high pressure " and "low pressure" , maybe i am up in the night but it makes since to most .

Probably a good plan,It does make it a tad more simple.

What I find striking is how few people actually understand how a turbo really works.

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
:rofl: This is funny stuff , for this reason when I reference turbos i usually refer to them as "high pressure " and "low pressure" , maybe i am up in the night but it makes since to most .

this is what i was thinking. makes way more sense useing low press and high press.

now what math is used to figure up the pressure ratio for the high press turbo? if normal PR is figured 14.7+boost/14.7 do you use the low press turbo pressure inplace of both 14.7's? say the low press turbo is pushing 20psi and the high was at 40psi. would it be (14.7+20)+40/(14.7+20) which would be 2.15PR

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
this is what i was thinking. makes way more sense useing low press and high press.

now what math is used to figure up the pressure ratio for the high press turbo? if normal PR is figured 14.7+boost/14.7 do you use the low press turbo pressure inplace of both 14.7's? say the low press turbo is pushing 20psi and the high was at 40psi. would it be (14.7+20)+40/(14.7+20) which would be 2.15PR

The turbos share the work evenly. Say for the sake of simplicity the atmospheric pressure is 15. The low pressure turbo is doubling the atmosphere at 15 psi then the high pressure turbo is doubling its atmosphere creating 30 psi for a total boost of 45 psi. Basically you want them to be at the same PR relative to inlet pressure at each stage.

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
Ok I did some rereading and your right. I guess I didn't realized the first number is output. Well, I did but...... Anyway so now how do you figure what the high press turbo really will put out with comparrison to what the low press puts in. Say the low press is 20 what will the high press actually put out? So that you can figure up your PR's and know what turbo map works with what.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
The pressure ratio is figured off of boost pressure over turbo inlet pressure.... If u r making 65 psi total and 30 psi from the low pressure and 35 additional psi from the high pressure... Low pressure is figured 4 atmospheric pressure (14.7), and for the high pressure u figure 14.7+ the 30 psi from the low pressure... Low pressure equals 3.04:1 (30psi+14.7)/14.7, if there isn't a vacuum caused by the inlet restriction, and high pressure equals 3.38:1 (65-30+14.7)/14.7...

I think, but have been wrong many times b4...

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
The guy above my last post had it right. I was just trying to figure out how you can figure up what each turbo will make. Say you spin the stock one (round numbers here) to 10000rpm all by it's self and it makes 25psi. Then you add the low press turbo and make it blow 20psi but still spin the stock one at 10,000rpm. Will it make 45psi tottal? Or is it compounded with some off the wall formula? As in sinc it's not In a static atmosphere would it be getting the 20+14.7? It seems like it would just add up. But that also seems too easy. :)

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Huge singles seperates the men from the boys :D:hug: JK JK

I'm with you! Prostock tractors are the coolest sled pullers to watch! They sound like a freight train chugging when winding up at the line, and when the turbo comes up, watch out!!

If they can push a 5" plus charger, I should be able to turn a 4.1" single.... What do u think Rob??

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm with you! Prostock tractors are the coolest sled pullers to watch! They sound like a freight train chugging when winding up at the line, and when the turbo comes up, watch out!!

If they can push a 5" plus charger, I should be able to turn a 4.1" single.... What do u think Rob??

If a 5.9cummins can spool and stay on top of a 4" wheel I'm sure a duramax turning some decent rpms could manage it. I would love to see it
:thumb:

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
If a 5.9cummins can spool and stay on top of a 4" wheel I'm sure a duramax turning some decent rpms could manage it. I would love to see it
:thumb:

I can't get any info or help from someone who has done it... I don't know what charger to use, what exhaust wheel to put in it, or what exhaust housing a/r to use... Any turbo manufacturer I talk to says I won't be able to turn it...

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I can't get any info or help from someone who has done it... I don't know what charger to use, what exhaust wheel to put in it, or what exhaust housing a/r to use... Any turbo manufacturer I talk to says I won't be able to turn it...

Have you thought about trying a S483 as a single?

Sent from my iPhone.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

I bet you can, might not stay up on it on the big end, but i bet you could light it. It would be interesting.