LML Rods

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Is hs breaking point truck not a valid example of how far an lml can go?
I say no... A good example would be after a few years of multiple trucks running them at high horsepower daily or every weekend turn it up and see how long they last and what power level they start giving at.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
I say no... A good example would be after a few years of multiple trucks running them at high horsepower daily or every weekend turn it up and see how long they last and what power level they start giving at.

How about the fella who had fleece do a build for him using the lml short block? Has anyone one else done something like that with some real life feedback? I know he said it dynoed 650hp. Is there anyone else in the LML platform really pushing it or is it still a select group?

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
I don't know of many guys running them in a build yet.

Have you heard anymore on the guys from dts running the LML shortblock in their lb7 and lly trucks? I can't believe no body on this forum has genuiea pigged this idea yet. If you are a skilled mechanic and have the time to do this would it not be an option? It seems like it cost would be pretty cheap for an average joe.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Have you heard anymore on the guys from dts running the LML shortblock in their lb7 and lly trucks? I can't believe no body on this forum has genuiea pigged this idea yet. If you are a skilled mechanic and have the time to do this would it not be an option? It seems like it cost would be pretty cheap for an average joe.

Most that do a motor build just goes Carrillos since they are already in there might as well go with something dependable.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Most that do a motor build just goes Carrillos since they are already in there might as well go with something dependable.

Hmm I hope someone comes along with a current build or some info on just the lml rods in a build. Like I said if someone was into this sport as a hobby being a mechanic they could easily get some lml parts and be a tester. I'd like to see this kind of stuff evolve if people aren't trying new things then we will never know.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Something to note. Steel gets weaker as the temperature climbs. Even 300°F reduces it's strength. If you want to push the stock rods, keep oil temps as low as possible.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
im curious, just look at the the way the SBC platform has evolved from part swapping, you can almost build any config with any SBC parts from any of the SBC sizes over the years.
even the LS generation is becoming that way quickly, why cant the dmax follow.

lots of people are already choosing the lb7 cut pistons as the preferred choice of pistons unless they go full race cast or something like that.

i really enjoy seeing what can be done with the amazing engineering that GM has developed into these parts, not to say the aftermarket is bad i just like creativity and ingenuity.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
im curious, just look at the the way the SBC platform has evolved from part swapping, you can almost build any config with any SBC parts from any of the SBC sizes over the years.
even the LS generation is becoming that way quickly, why cant the dmax follow.

lots of people are already choosing the lb7 cut pistons as the preferred choice of pistons unless they go full race cast or something like that.

i really enjoy seeing what can be done with the amazing engineering that GM has developed into these parts, not to say the aftermarket is bad i just like creativity and ingenuity.

Very well put that's exactly what I'm talking about. :thumb:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Also I just remembered that I think the lml rods won't work with lb7/lly pistons because of the wrist pins are different

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
finally got my lb7 back together on a lml bottom and an really glad I twined it its like a whole new truck!!! so far its holding together I think at somewhere around 575hp daily driving around i hit 47psi of boost with 40% exergys, s475 over stock, lift pump, ect, I figured id stay safe an stick with the stock cp3 for a limiter for now...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
sweet :thumb: i like the idea of using the cp3 as a power limiter, you can still have fun and not be dangerous enough mess something up

nmband13

Jan 17, 2011
Sioux Falls SD
sub'd - as cheap as the lml parts are i'll likely be refreshing my 200k motor next fall and go lml rods and de-lip the lml pistons. Hopefully more info will be available by then. :woott:

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
What's needed to make this work? Do you need a LML crank, rods, pistons, flex plate, and balancer?

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
We r going to use lml rods and pistons in the spare lmm I have. I figured my truck would b good testing grounds since I drive it everyday, sled pull and race it. If it bends a rod then the lbz goes back in and I'm not out much money. The philosophy that building it right the first time is a good one to use but let's face it everybody on here pushes every piece on these trucks to the limit. Even aftermarket parts fail. U could put 25k in a motor but I bet 99% of us push that motor hard and something fails. Also everyone uses their truck in a different way. If I had a dedicated puller or race truck then it would get forged pistons and good rods. And I bet most the guys on here that have "built" motors still threw a stock crank in it. So your still left wondering if or when the crank fails. U gotta pay to play, but sometimes u don't have to pay as much to play.