LML Rods

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Im just curious about this for a possible future build, but how far has anyone pushed the new LML rods? I saw that thread from H&S where they destroyed that new LML but had impressive numbers before it grenaded. So im curious to see if these would be worthwhile for a budget build with say a goal of 650-750 max?? Again just curious as i wont ever need to be above that for power as the truck is already a money pit and still want it somewhat reliable lol

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Lml rods dont have alot of evidence behind that kind of horsepower lasting.. While i think they would hold up, for awhile, your still on borrowed time. If your going to tear into your motor just to put rods in it, spend the money and put some proven rods in it.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Fair question but as Auble said if your already tearing into the motor to replace the rods put some in that have been tested and proven worthy!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
im curious as to their strength, one of GM's greatest attributes is the fact that all of there motors and trannys have tons and tons of interchangeable parts

i mean it is a possibility, just look at the difference in lb7 and lbz pistons, whoda thunk it!

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
did they say what part caused the failure though, yes the engine grenaded but something had to fail to cause that. they didn't say as far as i know after watching it

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
if i remember correctly i think someone on here already put lml rods on lb7 pistons and just had to do a little machine work to get them to work

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Ouch, if the first thing that let go was a rod maybe they aren't a good idea after all :( then again that was 1k HP area so that's still impressive on all stock components. You know previous year assemblies wouldn't make it that far

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
So stock internals that did 1086 and threw a rod out of the side of the block was because of tuning? :werd:

Yeah it was because of tuning... Anytime you ask a truck to make a ton of power with tuning it has the potential to fail... When the engine didn't fail at 800hp they decided to crank it up higher than anyone has cranked duration with TONS of timing, they were trying to pop it. 4000uS and 40* of timing did the trick. The truck hit its set points and KAPOW!

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
yes you can say it's the tunes fault but that was H&S goal. There goal was not to build a high hp, safe tune but instead just push it until it craters somehow. Just so happened it was a rod on the third pull over 1000 hp I believe

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
but before the last pull they said that there was a vibration that wasnt there before which they attributed to having a bent rod or rods so they already knew it was done after the second last run