LML b16gsr 2013 LML 3500HD Dually build thread

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
I bought a 2013 3500HD Dually to replace my 2006 LLY and this is my build thread on the new truck. I had wanted a dually for a long time and the right deal fell into place, but stock it did not stay for long.

Here is a list of the mods that are planned.

• 9W LED back up bulbs
  • 55W 4300K Low beam and 35W 3000K Fog lamp HID (have a set of custom cleared and FXR projectors to be installed)
  • Rigid Industries 20" bar in the bumper (next round of mods)
  • Color match the exterior, grille, front bumper, mirrors, hood vents, rear bumper caps
  • Paint protection to the forward facing painted surfaces
  • Debadge exterior
  • All Sales 21" Stubby Antenna
  • Streetside Auto Tri-Fold Tonneau cover
  • Rhino Liner(next round of mods)
  • Putco Interior LED Kit
  • CoverCraft Carhartt Gray SeatSavers
  • WeatherTech front and rear liners
  • Tinted front windows 45%
  • Summer setup 20" Eagle Alloys 056 Bolt on wheels, polished finish
  • LT275/60/20 Nitto Dura Grappler (changing to 275/65/20 Toyo Open Country MT in spring)
  • Winter setup 17" OEM Alcoa wheels
  • LT285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grappler with 1.5" Fred's spacer
  • Cognito Stage 5 Leveling kit (next round of mods)
  • 5" MBRP Filter Back stainless
  • 6" MBRP Dual Wall tip
  • Air Dog 100 (next round of mods)
  • Nicktane Filter Head with CAT filter (next round of mods)

My main goal with the truck is fuel economy and being able to haul more than my LLY did, and look good all at the same time. My LLY averaged a lifetime over the 115k miles I put on it in 5 years, right at 18.7 mpg. That is a mix of towing, mainly highway(85 mile commute) and some city driving. I hope to return to that economy with this truck, untuned.

Hand calculated fuel mileage:
First refuel at 220 miles was 14.41 mpg
Second refuel at 650 miles was 15.33 mpg

I will continue to add to the thread as I complete mods.

Here is the first pic I took of it:

Home for the first time:

First round of parts arriving:

Tonneau installed:

New exhaust waiting for install:

Seat Covers:

Interior LEDs:

Windows done:

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Here are the updates.

Exhaust is on:

Old

New

Paint work is all done.

GM Accessory Grille in white

My detailing buddy Greg came up and we did a tandem polish and applied Opti-Coat 2.0. No waxing in the near future for me.

Installed a set of Husky mud flaps, they are doing construction on the highways around here and I got tired of the road oil on the truck. I also ordered a set of new OEM headlights and sent them to Phil Sheridan to have him remove the amber corners and a set of FXR bi-xenon projectors in them.

Silverstar bulbs will replace the amber ones.

Here are a couple updated pics of the truck.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Looks really nice, expecting that fuel mileage without tune might be difficult but good luck nonetheless

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Sharp looking truck!

:thumb:

Looks really nice, expecting that fuel mileage without tune might be difficult but good luck nonetheless

I have come to the realization that this is probably true. I use my Fuelly account and already have managed 14.4 mpg in the 9200 miles/5 months, towing quite a bit. I had a few 17 mpg rounds, but a string of 12's brought the average down. I am in the hunt for a RCLB LB7 to DD to keep the miles off of it and use it around the shop.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Yea my lb7 reg cab zf got me 22.2 on a highway trip pulling a small 16 foot bumper pull trailer with another long bed, bumper, tailgate and tool box. Was super excited once I did the math.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Yea my lb7 reg cab zf got me 22.2 on a highway trip pulling a small 16 foot bumper pull trailer with another long bed, bumper, tailgate and tool box. Was super excited once I did the math.

that is exactly what i am looking for, have one in mind.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Thanks to Cornell for the contact on the LED parts. I ordered a 20" bar for the bumper, 2 - 3" white dually spot and 2 - 3" white dually flood for the fog light area and 2 - 3" black dually spot for the back. I ordered the Rigid bumper and fog lamp mounts to put it all together. Will do the headlights at the same time.

Also ordered the DeeZee easy down tailgate shock to throw on when I do my BedRug BedTred that should be here this week. My Bilstein 5100 are on back order until March so I have to wait on them. May order the Cognito UCA's and do it all at once.

My Toyo MT's in 275/65/20 arrived so I am ready for spring modding to begin.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
LED's have arrived, BedTred has been installed and is a nice piece. I also sold the Eagle 20's with the Dura Grapplers, so going to have to decide on a new wheel to go with the Toyo MT's. Also ordered a Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit, had to after installing one on my buddies truck, such a nice piece.

Can't wait for the weather to break so I can start in on the modding.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Well I ordered the Eagle 057 black and machined to match up with my Toyo MT's. Going to give the black wheel look a try on the dually. Should be a good look, and give it the storm trooper look.

eagle_0578-2788-1-aa_20x75-1401-064-00-500.png

Also carved out some time to install my BedRug BedTred and my Pace Edwards JackRabbit tonneau cover. Could not be happier with both products, they are great pieces.

Then I spent a few hours on Saturday morning cleaning it up.

Also had a chance to clean up my wifes new car, after the snowy week home after the ride home from Texas.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
So "Casper" was filthy from the sour weather we have been having. I finally got a chance to give her a bath and a wipe down with some FK425.

Washed:

All finished:

Also pulled the Carhartt seat covers for the first time since I installed them at 500 miles, at 14k miles now and the seats look perfect.

Also got the windows on my wife's car done and the new wheels put on.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Still missing the LED fogs, they are going in tomorrow.

So the updates are as follows:

20" Eagle 057
275/65/20 Toyo MT
Painted roof lamps and antenna
Painted tailgate
21" Totron LED bar on Rigid mount in bumper
4 6" Totron Dually LED white fogs on Rigid mounts
OEM headlamps with Morimoto projectors and HID high beams
Bilstien 5100s