Your thoughts

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So im sure if im expecting more from my setup than whats really there or what but heres the deal.

for those that dont know, truck is a built motor/trans with 45% over injectors, stock twins with a reworked stocker that has been rebuilt, port and polish and batmowheel, dual fuelers, 165 lift pump, killer bee engine oil cooler on the front bumper thats been shrouded in and below the cooling stack, stock intercooler, stock gearing and running 37" tires. the tune i run is guessitmated to be around 550-600rwph but i and steve have tweeked and played with the tune to fine tune it in for me dding, towing, and getting the best mpg i can get.

heres what im seeing. When i towed brians reg cab to ABQ a couple weeks back, outside temp was 113*. we again estimated his weight to around 8k. coming to the first few hills, oil temps were 230* and i was hitting 1200* egts REALLY easy in 5th at 70mph. Coolant stayed at 195. as soon as we started hitting the big hills (5-7 miles long depending on hill at 6% grade with lots of twists and turns) is when i noticed things gettin hot. about half way up the hill in 4th gear speed would drop to 65 and egts would be right around 1250 and climbing so id have to keep getting out of it. all the while, oil temp had hit a peak of 275 and water was at 240. by this time i was down to 3rd gear at 50mph and 2800rpm. Mechanical fan was going full blast. this did this on the last two hills till outside temps came down. soon as it was 100* outside, i could hold 5th gear up just about anything with EGTs never getting over 1100.

now at that time, i had not shrouded the oil cooler into the bumper to help direct air into the cooler.

So fastforward to this past weekend. im hauling my toy hauler up to a camping spot up the same hills i had prior to hauling brians truck. my toy hauler was semi empty as we didnt have the zuk in it and it weights in at 8k without the zuk in it. Now outside temps are 107* or so. Again, same deal up the hills accept oil temps are now hit 260* and wont go higher. EGTs will again hit 1200* super easy and im playing with the throttle the whole way up to keep it right at 1250* and no higher. coolant would rise to 230* and hit 240 a few times at the very tops of the hills. all the while im slowed to about 55mph in 3rd gear.

Now, we hit the last big hill above payson and outside air temps have dropped to 75* (elevation is now 6,000ft and a storm had just rolled through and cooled everything off, we missed the rain though). i pulled that whole hill at 65mph and 1200* with oil temps holding 235* and coolant not moving from 195*.

So what do you guys think? am i racking my brain for nothing and its just fricken hot out and cooling stack is just heat soaked? i have no one to really compare off of and to me, i feel i "should" be able to pull the hills at 65mph with that weight on the back no issue but maybe im expecting too much?

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
i will say that ddp nozzles are under rated imo, thats probably some of the egt issue. I had to downsize mine for the same reasons

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I towed with my twins for the first time last week, 12, 000 #camper. Outdoor temp was 95-98. My egt never climbed over 1250, usually stayed around 900. Coolant temp stayed at 200-210. My nozzles are around 60, I am going to get an oil temp guage. I have to play with the tapshifter , also I towed forever with the single 72 charger. My egt's take longer to climb with the twins, and I used to hit 13-1350 sometimes with the single but only a few seconds at a time.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Well James a 32 * difference is pretty big.107 climbing hills is gonna really heat things up.When it's 107 and your climbing hills your making everything hotter.Cooler temps EVERYTHING is running cooler.

On another note I can't believe you haven't fab'd your own intercooler yet.I think Russ (yellowChevy) is going to make his own.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Stock gears and 37" tires doesn't sound like a great idea, but have you checked to see if your stock intercooler is leaking? I would start with the EGT problem and see if that doesn't correct the other temp problems.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hell i swore i read it was 1250 long ago but i did read it on the internet :D

Scott, ive never welded aluminum and wouldnt trust myself to do it lol. Russ and i talked about that and im looking forward to seein him build his. My fiances brother can weld aluminum like a son of bitch though. maybe i need to call russ back up ;)

My intercooler use to leak bad at the famous spots but had it welded back up. right now i have just small leak where we couldnt weld but its no more than say a leaky air chuck in a air hose at 20-25psi. it may ahve gotten worse though

as far as the temps, i can watch oil temps drop dramatically as soon as we crest a hill. by the bottom of the hill, temps are usually back to 200, then slowly climb to 220-230 when im back on the flats. the shrouding held a bunch.

my biggest issue is that ive never towed with this many gauges and never done it with this heavy of a load in the middle of summer. So this is all new to me. generally i either tow 5k max or when i tow heavy, its winter time headed to the dunes which is all flats

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
At 70 I'm at 2500rpm but I usually have to slow to 60-65 cause of the curves or traffic. If I'm below that, I'm out of steam in 4th it feels like cause egt's jump. Rpm around there is 2000-2200

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I noticed kind of similar rpm in 4th around 60. I am no expert at all on these trucks but your egt's dont seem bad to me.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
This might be a dumb question but could a guy put another cooler kind of a long slim 1 on the oil drain line off the big charger? Kind of cooling the hot oil before it goes back into the pan?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I noticed kind of similar rpm in 4th around 60. I am no expert at all on these trucks but your egt's dont seem bad to me.

yeah, i just expected more speed out of it i guess. not 50mph up hill in 3rd.

This might be a dumb question but could a guy put another cooler kind of a long slim 1 on the oil drain line off the big charger? Kind of cooling the hot oil before it goes back into the pan?

they make heat exchangers for something like that. i wouldnt wanna run a normal air to oil cooler cause of the pressure that would be created to do that.

Regear that big bitch lol 4:10's

ive got a set of front 4.10s sitting in the garage. the plan is to hit up the junk yards this summer in search of a 8.1 11.5 that had 4.10s in it. make it a simple swap then

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Hell even a cooper line with like 3 to 5 coils in it just to take a little heat out before it hits the oil pan is all I was thinking I know you can't have a normal style cooler as it's gravity feed and not really pressurized.Just trying to bounce things off you and see if it makes any sense.