Xcaliber clutch kits

RedChevy2005

Mar 7, 2024
USA
Has anyone used the xcaliber clutch kit rated at 600-2000 hp? Wondering if the steels would be to hard and eat into the case of the transmission

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have not as we tend to either use Goerend's kit or piece them together for our own builds.

They use GPZ C1/C2 and their own C3/C4 frictions. The Kolene steels they use are in the C3/C4 packs which do not have an issue whereas you should not use Kolene steels in the C2 (which their kit uses OEM material steels so it's good to go). Their "XX" C3/C4 friction is pretty good, I haven't pushed them past ~800whp tho unlike keyhole G3/Carbonite/SCZ195 tho so I can't comment on their holding capacity above that.

They do include C5 which is nice but not typically necessary as the C5 pack is engaged for first and reverse only. I've seen transmissions with 400k roll in as cores and the stamping is still readable on the C5 frictions. I check clearance and tend to reuse as do most other builders because they simply don't fail. Now if I have one come in with a hurt C5 pack I'll obviously replace it.

Lately I've been using G3 C1, GPZ or G3 C2 with OEM material steels, SCZ196 C3/C4 with kolene steels.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Has anyone used the xcaliber clutch kit rated at 600-2000 hp? Wondering if the steels would be to hard and eat into the case of the transmission

I have not used their kits, or the "military grade" frictions for the c3 / c4 pack, but have ordered various other parts there. From the looks of it, Lavon/ Firepunk is using these in their builds since they hired an Allison guy. Depending on your power goal you can piece together something cheaper