Worth re bearing bottom end or not?

Squaremaxfan

Mar 4, 2021
I bought a 07 work pickup that has 235k miles, I'm installing it into a squarebody and plan on shooting for 600HP.
With engine mods such as- Head studs, 75hp injectors, injection pump, 64mm turbo, hsp hot/ cold side with y- Bridge, high flow driverside manifold, up pipes, 3" down pipe with 4" exhaust, lift pump, with efi live tune and dsp5, of course deleting the egr and intake heater.

Is it worth doing bottom end bearings, and throwing a set of rings in it?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
if it was mine, I wouldn't do either unless you actually have an issue you needed to address. how's the oil pressure?

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

Squaremaxfan

Mar 4, 2021
Oil pressure I believe was good! It's pulled out of original pickup and sitting in my other one for mock up while I wait for more parts.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
If you was doing all that you would want to upgrade the pistons to be safe at 600, I cracked one at 575. Besides, that engine could easily last another 100K miles or more if its been maintained. I would run it then re-build when somethin happens. A buddy of mine has an lbz making 650+ with over 300,000 miles and the power get's used too.

Reactions: David letcher

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
when pistons let go in these engines do they typically cause much collateral damage? I.e. damge the head or combustion chamber, tear up the cylinder walls?

I have a near identical situation as the OP (same HP goals) wondering if spending the money on refreshing the engine now will be cheaper in the long run vs running it to the HP limits of stock internals and building it after something breaks?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
most just crack. some develop holes but rarely do they take out anything else. especially if you don't try and limp it home