LB7: Wiring Harness Mods

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I am looking for some ideas on moving around and simplifying the wire harness. I am wanting to make the engine easier to work on and be less cluttered under the hood.

Lets see some pics!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
100_1666.jpg

100_1662.jpg

100_1661.jpg

100_1664.jpg

100_1665.jpg

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I wish I could post a pic from my phone... I've got such a sexy pic of a dmax saved on my phone. Zero wires showing except to each injector. The injector harnesses routed to the back of the engine in a single loom on each side. Looked amazing.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I wish I could post a pic from my phone... I've got such a sexy pic of a dmax saved on my phone. Zero wires showing except to each injector. The injector harnesses routed to the back of the engine in a single loom on each side. Looked amazing.

Who's truck? I have a similar setup on my puller. Everything is inside the cab up under the dash. Only wires over the engine are to run the injectors. And to go to the necessary sensors.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The ATS Hazmax has what Dustin did, no wires showing except for each injector, all the loom was on each side of the engine, looked very cool.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
downsize2.jpg

downsize_11.jpg

These first two pics are of the main injector wiring harness I made. Ran them up the front of both cylinder heads over the valve covers. I checked and the heat coming off the exhaust manifolds wasn't enough for concern. I figured this was probably going to be the easiest. I thought about running them somehow down the back but with all the hot exhaust back there I decided to go this route.

downsize1-1.jpg

This is how I split up the wiring harness. On the left is all the FICM/injector wiring, the middle is all the wiring for the sensors, and the right is the glow plug wiring.

100_1665.jpg

I made a bracket down on the frame that holds the FICM and the glow plug relay. The big wiring loom going up each side is the injector wiring. All of the sensor wiring I ran down into the engine valley underneath the intake crossover. And then found a tight little passageway that runs behind the driver's side power steering/air conditioning bracket and then comes out just under the power steering pump. I even kept the two main electrical bail connectors that usually sit on the driver's valve cover. Those are now between the ECM and the driver's inner wheel liner. So I just have one little loom coming out of the fuse block that goes straight down.

I also tapped into the fuel return line back by the oil filter and ran those up so the FICM was still cooled. I know that fuel is a lot hotter but so far so good. And the plastic skid plate blocks most road debris. I cut out little rubber flaps to fill in the side to try to keep road splash from hitting it as well.

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That looks awesome man. Blue looks great too.

Surprised you didnt move the PCV hose too.

I'm sure I will. I also have the harness for the alternator and a/c compressor that I didn't relocate as well. They were both in the plans but I was getting a little excited to get the truck back together. Plus I figured those were on top of the motor and easy to relocate at a later time.

One other note, POWDERCOAT is the way to go, not paint. I had blown most of my money on the go fast parts and I wasn't sure how the colors would turn out anyhow. I figure an engine build is in my near future so I'll get everything powdercoated then.

Have about 25,000 miles since I did this and only had one issue. I ran the wiring for the MAP sensor and the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor down the back side of the intake crossover. Well the heat from the turbo pedestal melted those down pretty quick. So just installed a little shield made from the factory turbo heat shield and so far so good!