LBZ: Will making a variable vane turbo brake in efi harm anything?

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Anyone care to mod my tow tune? Sounds like several have figured this out pretty well. I'll email my tow tune.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
ive ran my tow tune and stock tune with a turbo brake 95% closed @ 0mm3 from 1400-3000rpm and love it. Anyone here have a drive pressure guage on their stocker like I do and notice the drive pressure go up? On stock tuning slowing down from 90 i can hit 40psi DP :rofl:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
guys sorry to resurrect this but is there a way to do this in a dsp tune when the town tune is one of the dsp tunes. i ask because i fear i know the answer and i would have to adjust the min vain table in the main tune to make it work. then i would have a turbo brake anytime the converter is locked on the highway, destroying any mileage i get now.

I have done a little testing on putting it on just one position of the DSP5 switch. If you mod the max vane position tables in the base tune and the target position tables in the tow tune it will work alright but vane position won't go to and hold closed as well as it does when you mod the minimun vane tables. So it works but not as well as if you do the mods in the minimum vane tables, which would make it active on every tune. The turbo brake is not activated by the converter being locked - it is only activated by going to 0% thottle, the TC being locked just makes it much more effective. So it will not affect you mileage to have it on all positions of a DSP5 tune.

FIREFIGHTER 503

GEORGIA DIESEL
Dec 4, 2008
I have done a little testing on putting it on just one position of the DSP5 switch. If you mod the max vane position tables in the base tune and the target position tables in the tow tune it will work alright but vane position won't go to and hold closed as well as it does when you mod the minimun vane tables. So it works but not as well as if you do the mods in the minimum vane tables, which would make it active on every tune. The turbo brake is not activated by the converter being locked - it is only activated by going to 0% thottle, the TC being locked just makes it much more effective. So it will not affect you mileage to have it on all positions of a DSP5 tune.

Good info Dustin, I tried to get Paul & Ross to include min and max vane tables in the next DSP just for this purpose but they say not enough room :(

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
They have minimum and maximum vane tables in the DSP settings for the LBZ?

attachment.php

It looks like the actual 'max vane/min vane' tables (the ones that say you can command a MAX and MIN of _ _ @ _ _ _ _ RPM are set in the MAIN dsp tune, but the tables to COMMAND a set value are available dsp :coolspot:
This is my first DSP - I'm reading that right, right? :baby:

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
All I see is the high, medium, and low altitude target tables.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Those are all target tables, that will likely get you the same results that I described above. It's the minumum vane table that is key to getting a consistant 98% vane position to get the best turbo-brake function possible.

In the LLY DSP5 tuning we only get one generic target table that overrides the target tables in the base tune regardless of altitude.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Dustin, why do you only use 98% vane position for your exhaust brake function?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I thought the more closed the better so I set them to 99.5%.

I have never tried just adjusting the target tables.:hmm:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What would happen if you set them all the same like I do?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Have you guys noticed increased oil consumption on the turbo brake feature? On mine on a high rpm decel I can see white smoke coming out a little bit pretty hard to notice though, the only way I found out was a buddy was following. With no oil leaks anywere my truck will use about 2 quarts in 5000 miles with the turbo brake feature. I have mine tuned to work anytime the throttle is released because I hate using the brake and there is lots of hills where I live.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i know the converter doesnt control it, but while cruising on the highway at say 70, i am at 2000rpm. if i have the main tune modded every time i let off the throttle to slow a bit the turbo brake would function because the converter holds it at the rpm. understand? i may be splainin' it wrong.
:)

on my main tune, i have the rows 0-15 mm3 in the min/max vain table set to 10. this way at very low throttle it opens up the vains for less engine braking. then beyond that i have modded vain tables to where i saw it best built boost. and cleared up smoke the best. i have it all changed in the main tune, just need to flash it in and give it a try.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
What would happen if you set them all the same like I do?

Most likely nothing, above is just how I have always done it and it works so I have no reason to do it differently.

Have you guys noticed increased oil consumption on the turbo brake feature? On mine on a high rpm decel I can see white smoke coming out a little bit pretty hard to notice though, the only way I found out was a buddy was following. With no oil leaks anywere my truck will use about 2 quarts in 5000 miles with the turbo brake feature. I have mine tuned to work anytime the throttle is released because I hate using the brake and there is lots of hills where I live.

I haven't noticed that on any of the truck I have put this one, but thanks for sharing - I'll keep a closer eye on them from now on.

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
Oh you do it a bit different than me guys...

I adjust my max vane tables up to where I command it in my target tables. For me it works great - but as Dustin said, if I command 99.5 (my usual) I only see a MAX of 99.2 in the log.
I think if you command the minimum table at 0mm3 in the main tune you'll have the turbo brake on ALL the time, but, if you tell it the max vane in the main tune, and the commanded where you want it it would work like mine, and mine works great.

If you guys want, I'll post my tune and my stocker it so you can see it.

Last edited: