Will a Kenndy Lift Pump Be Ok Sucking?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Just purchased a Kennedy LP setup from a member on here, I want to do a sump/filter setup when I install it.
I want/plan to run a 30 micron water separator/filter before the pumps & a 2 mic after, followed by deleting the stocker up top (unless you guys convince me it's a bad idea)
My question is, will the Kennedy's live a long & happy life pulling through the 30?

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I think I'd set all of it up down stream of the lift pumps. and getting rid of the stocker is a good idea.

Not trying to argue or sound like a know it all by no means so please don't take it like I am but...
My main reason for wanting the one before the pumps was that's how the 7.3 PSD world has been running them forever & how I set mine up on my old 7.3 so it was just my natural thought to do it that way.
I liked having the big piece filter & water sep before the pump to try & protect it from anything that might get into the fuel somehow.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Why not call John and ask him? IMHO run both filters after the pump, if you run a large water separator before the filter you will need to bleed it every time, those Kennedy pumps won't pull air through a filter and bleed that way. Plus those pumps don't have many wear parts so a little debris from the tank won't kill a pump $.02

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Why not call John and ask him? IMHO run both filters after the pump, if you run a large water separator before the filter you will need to bleed it every time, those Kennedy pumps won't pull air through a filter and bleed that way. Plus those pumps don't have many wear parts so a little debris from the tank won't kill a pump $.02

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.
I'll just run em both after the pump

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Wish I seen this earlier! I had Kennedy's pumps. I pushed and pulled thru a Cat 2 Micron filter in the middle of the pumps with no issues!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
i'd go smaller than 30, go 10 to 2, most diesel dispensers have 30's on them

You don't want to go smaller pre pump there is no point. It would just restrict the fuel after the pump fine filters are fine. Pre pump you just want something that will protect the pump from trash.

I wouldn't wast my time unless you are getting fuel from private tanks. Fuel stations all have filters. I asked Kennedy about this and he never got back to me. Since I had rust in my tank when dropped to install the pickup. I just quit fuel up on transfer tank without filters.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
most big truck 2 mic filters Bf7587/1r-0750 have a flow rate of 12-15GPM or 720-900gph

i dont think "filter flow" is going to be an issue seeing that 90% of us run less than a 200gph lift pump ;)

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
If you look on his website you'll see that he puts the filter between his two pumps; that should give you a good place to start.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/results.cfm?SubCategory3=50

I have dual kennedy pumps on my pickup with no filter and they've worked great since I first put them on. I use my stock filter as my first one then his mega filter after than; I also have a magnet on the mega filter.

I'm happy with my setup and haven't had any issues.

Yellowchevy

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

X2. Put the filters after. Pumps will work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free