Wildcats

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I took a look last night, but I don't have 2230. With all of the powder that I have, I thought for sure I'd have some to give you. Since I was downstairs, I loaded up some 9mm and then went to wash my hands before bed and saw that the basement sink pump failed. Ugh. I'll be leaving work and doing a plumbing repair today. FML At least I caught it before any flooding.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
thanks for checking. I may have to resort to less then optimal powders if I can't find any soon. I'll have to run the simulations again and see what other options there are. 2230 was supposed to be able to get the maximum velocity without over pressure. but there where a few others that weren't too far behind.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I have some 335 you can have. It should be close to 2230. It's in the bottom of a keg, so hopefully you aren't too far from NJ? LOL. I'm going to Outer Banks in August if you're near there. Otherwise, I don't know if I can help.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have some 335 you can have. It should be close to 2230. It's in the bottom of a keg, so hopefully you aren't too far from NJ? LOL. I'm going to Outer Banks in August if you're near there. Otherwise, I don't know if I can help.
thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm about as far away from there as you can get. I'm in California so that's why I'm having a hard time finding anything locally in stock. even my regular online places sell out really fast if then get any. should have jumped on it when Midway had some a month or so ago. just not used to paying $35+ per pound so I thought I'd look around locally some more

I do think 335 was on the list as a usable powder. I think the drawback was I couldn't load it as high before the case was full. if it was on the list I'm sure it would work for fire forming the cases. I'd have to run the simulation again to be sure though

Reactions: N2BRK

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
ok. so here are the powders that the simulation says I can use. listed from best to worst

1. Accurate LT-30
2. Accurate 2230 / Ramshot X-Terminator (same stuff)
3. Accurate 2460
4. Hodgdon CFE-BLK

lower velocity but still safe pressure

5. H4198
6. IMR4227
7. H322
8. H4895
9. IMR4198
10. H335

Hodgdon 4895 is an interesting one as the pressure is only about 50k but still produces about 2000 ft/s. that's about 200 ft/s less then the top listings. but because of its 10k psi less pressure it may be a good one to fire form with along with practicing load development. a 105% compressed load just barely gets into the velocity of the top contenders but still at only 55k psi. almost fool proof

and, while LT-30 looks like it produces the best velocity, the confidence of the simulation is low due to the lack of real world pressure data tests on this powder. info is mostly just from the manufacturer's data with little to back it up. CFE-BLK is

Accurate 2230 has a lot of user data to back up the manufacturer charts. CFE-BLK is also one of these

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
found about a 3rd of a lb of H335. probably the worst on the list to use. have to use a maximum load just to get it to preform decently. may give it a try if I can't find anything else. maximum load is about 74 grains. so starting would be 66 grains. also I checked my stash and found 20 large rifle primers.

looks like I have enough to fire form a few cases

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
made a homemade expanding button and used my vise to press it into a few cases and enlarge the necks. worked out pretty good. close enough to barely fit the chamber. now just load them up and fire form. checking with another relative to see if he has a more suitable powder before using my H335

photo: far left is 223/5.56, next one is your typical .308 and next right is an unaltered 300 WSM which I used to make all the other you see. plopped one of the 350 grain bullets into one to show you how big they are compared to the others

IMG_20220618_202554-01.jpeg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
went out shooting today and put a few down range. kicks like an angry mule. I'd say it feels like a 1.25 Oz. high brass 3.5" 12 gauge shotgun slugs. I shot the first two in my homemade rifle rest with a string so I could stand back. once I knew it was safe and didn't blow up the gun I shouldered at the bench. put about 12 more through the barrel. my shoulder is going to be sore 😂. and I still have room for about 10 more grains of powder I can fit in the case.

took a few to find the steel target. once I was hitting it it was punching 3/4" holes in the 1/4" steel plate. none of the cases or primers showed signs of excessive pressure

now to send out some of the fire formed brass to have some resizing dies made

Reactions: PureHybrid

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
shot 16 more rounds during labor day weekend. did a workup from 60 grains to 67.5 grains. no pressure signs. still have room for maybe several more grains if I go compressed loads. mailed off a handful of the cases to Hornady for them to make custom resizing dies. I need to invest in a chronograph so I have some ideas of the velocity and ballistics of these rounds. computer says these 350 grain bullets should be around 2400 fps at max powder load of 70 grains

IMG_20220902_182705.jpg

installed a Magpul PRS lite stock on it today and moved the scope to better fit the new reach and eye relief

IMG_20220910_002301~01~01-01.jpeg

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Some serious energy if you've got 350g moving that fast. I've been tempted to buy a Magnetospeed after using my buddies a while back, great to have around especially if you're hand loading

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'd recommend a Magnetospeed v3 chrono. It attaches to the barrel and works quite well. If you want a shoot through, I'd recommend a Caldwell Ballistic Precision G2.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Some serious energy if you've got 350g moving that fast. I've been tempted to buy a Magnetospeed after using my buddies a while back, great to have around especially if you're hand loading
yeah, lots of energy if the velocity proves out. calculations show north of 4600 ft/lbs if loaded to max. I'll have to try out some other weight bullets too to see what kind of ballistics I get.
LR308 458 WSM load data.jpg

I'd recommend a Magnetospeed v3 chrono. It attaches to the barrel and works quite well. If you want a shoot through, I'd recommend a Caldwell Ballistic Precision G2.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
are the Magnetospeeds worth the high cost for how little I might actually use it? what about the cheaper, half the cost, sporter model? how does it compare to the full priced one? looks like the difference is really just the mounting adaptors, a case and maybe some other accessories.

its tempting for sure. I've been looking at them online but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing one.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The Magneto v3 has a screen that will log and calculate your SD and min/max. You can do that with the sporter version but you'd have to write down each shot on paper. The sporter also has a slightly smaller mount, so most guys that have a larger target barrel use the v3

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
sounds like the sporter model will work just fine. I have no problem writing things down. and I don't think the barrel will be an issue. I'll have to think about this one. got me wanting one even more.

but on the other hand I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to build an induction pickup that plugs into the microphone input on my phone to record the bullet passing through and calculate the fps that way. something like a PVC pipe with a number of wraps of fine gauge wire on each end. wire them in series and plug them into the jack. one would think there is an app already made for that. by knowing the distance between the coils you can easily calculate the velocity. when you fire the bullet through the pipe the wave is shown in the "audio" signal as two peak spread apart by some small amount.

there appears to be some software called coil chrono that does this on windows computers. I wonder if there is an android version or how hard it would be to program

fb6f42ce9bd590e8aea4c9259ebde5c5--chronograph-archery.jpg

coil1_zps79c8ce54.jpg

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
That would be another slick project to add to the portfolio, but how much screwing around is it worth to save a couple Benjamin's?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That would be another slick project to add to the portfolio, but how much screwing around is it worth to save a couple Benjamin's?
you do have a point but I think it'll be a few months before I get a chance to shoot it again. so I was thinking that maybe I could build one in that time. looks like it would be quite cheap to build and there seems to be a number of people who have made them for archery.