Question: WiFi Extender for Shop

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
I just bought a place with the same issue, shop is 200’ away from the house. I have too much rock and pavement to dig a trench for cable. Too much work and money.
I purchased a Ubiquiti LocoM2 set up for $90. Basically a transmitter and a receiver, one in the house one on the outside of the metal shop. Added an old wireless router in the garage and it’s just part of the house. Runs my security cameras, tv, internet radio, Echo intercoms, iPad and anything else I want in the shop.

It’s amazing, full internet, just as fast as in the house. It has a range of about a mile if you have a big piece of property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
This is what I was going to say. If you have a power line connected from your house to the shop, they sell one that plugs into a power outlet in the house and the other in your shop, and transmits it that way. They're not the fastest, but can more than handle dsl.

I am so glad you posted this. Never heard of it before this post, picked up some TP Link Deco routers setup for this, plugged then in and away I went with internet in my shop. Same speed as the house. Shop is maybe 200' from the house

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I am so glad you posted this. Never heard of it before this post, picked up some TP Link Deco routers setup for this, plugged then in and away I went with internet in my shop. Same speed as the house. Shop is maybe 200' from the house

Got a link?

So no data cable needed to be ran to the shop correct?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As long as the power for the shop comes from the house panel, no extra cable needed. Uses the electrical wiring as the pathway. Pretty wild really. I went to my ISP and picked these routers up.

I use these in my apartment because its more reliable than wireless/less signal loss through all the walls and doesn't require me to configure everytime I change something on my network.

You have 220 in the shop also?

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/default.aspx

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
Matthew I’ll toss my .02. Dig trench. Put at least a 1inch conduit. Put more than one conduit in the hole. Include pull string as noted. You will thank yourself later. You will at some point need more wire or something.

Personally I like the ubiquity access points. You can program them to be the same SSID and password so you don’t have to worry about different network ids or passwords. Your device just picks up the hottest signal.

I have them at my weekend place. In the main house, guest house, shop and shipping container. Works seamlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I just bought a place with the same issue, shop is 200’ away from the house. I have too much rock and pavement to dig a trench for cable. Too much work and money.
I purchased a Ubiquiti LocoM2 set up for $90. Basically a transmitter and a receiver, one in the house one on the outside of the metal shop. Added an old wireless router in the garage and it’s just part of the house. Runs my security cameras, tv, internet radio, Echo intercoms, iPad and anything else I want in the shop.

It’s amazing, full internet, just as fast as in the house. It has a range of about a mile if you have a big piece of property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all the info guys. I have a lot of researching to do on all the ideas. I’m interested in something like this as I’m figuring running a trench is going to be interesting. Mud and rain of late aside, I have a wraparound concrete porch to navigate and lots of rock. It’s been fun boring fencepost holes and doing some grading for my neighbor with all the rock. Now that duck season is over, I’ll be out in the shop a lot more and could use internet access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk