RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
All I know is what worked for me. The aux radiator originally built by txchristopher.

I was there from the beginning and had several trucks overheating. I spent thousands of $$ and even more in hours trying everything everyone suggested. In the end I had multiple trucks all with the V2 aux radiator on them.

I removed all emissions stuff with virtually no change. Also remember that the LLY was the first with the heads redesigned for external access to the injector. I believe this was more of an issue than anything else.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Are you runnig the edge jucie as a gauge while using the EFI?
When running EFI live, yes, I turn the edge to level 0 stock, and use it as gauges.
On this last trip I put my stock tune on, & tried the edge to see if I would over heat or not.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
1200* and 25 PSI seems like you are working the truck pretty hard. With a stock turbo truck I think either oil cooler or an aux coolant radiator would work. Now for my setup I think the oil cooler was the only way to go. But for you make sure you are doing what you can to not pull in hot air to the intake (+20* intake of the turbo does not equal +20 out of the turbo, its more than that). High boost and high EGTs make me think that is playing in. Hot air means more boost but less air density so higher EGTs-hotter engine. and you end up rejecting more heat from the IC into the rest of the stack
Just my 2 cents-but you always want the coldest air you can get to the turbo

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
I've always herd thats a no no and even on level 0 it still advances the timing don't know for sure though.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I love the tags too! Very keen. So is that your example? anytime a challenge to your normal thought is presented, to set up a stake and burn down the problem right? Yeah ban me, lol, for tryin to relay oil holds more heat than water? And, Maintaining cooler oil will keep all other operating systems cooler. Ha ok.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Ya know there was not a worse addition to the duramax than the egr cooler and egr system(imo) unfortunately the LLY was the egr systems guinea pig, if there was one single thing i would tell LLY owners to try, it would be to remove the egr, along with add a sealed cai and exhaust, and maybe a lbz/better water pump, trans cooler and external engine oil cooler, then the kitchen sink
I thought the California emissions LB7 was the first with an EGR? I've not heard of overheating issues with those trucks. I know they had a Cat and a PVC im not sure on the EGR.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought the California emissions LB7 was the first with an EGR? I've not heard of overheating issues with those trucks. I know they had a Cat and a PVC im not sure on the EGR.

the LB7 cali emission was the first to have an EGR system within the dmax line.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
3rd time, towing the Toyhauler, loaded with 2 quads & 3 bikes+ gear
with both EFI mpg or trying the edge, or even stock tune. egts ran 12 flat,14 on anything over flat ground. coolant temp would easily climb to 226 and set the alert off at anything over 55mpg

Ok, maybe im too far out of this "LLY overheating" loop but can someone tell me how an overheating issue via the radiator is causing high boost, high EGTs in the above statment?

i can see High EGTs causing the overheating issue but seems to me if the boost/egt issue can be resolved, his overheating issue would be as well.

just seems like we are all jumping at something that may not be the issue in my opinion. been wrong before though

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
How do the trucks with EGR deletes and fixed chargers with oil cooling only do on coolant temps? My truck seems to run cooler I'm thinking its because my charger isn't heating the coolant up? When I blocked the EGR I didn't notice a change, but when I took the factory water cooled charger off I saw a difference.

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
I don't think EGR is the reaon the truck is overheating. I have no idea why it is but EGR is actually designed to lower your combustion temperature. Lowering combustion temperature decreases the generation of NOx.

EGR puts already combusted "air" back into the system which is not capable of combusting again. Not only does this take room away from air that is capable of supporting combustion but it acts as a sink and absorbs the energy of the combustion.

Maybe it does play a role making the engine's effeciency lower and thus requiring more fuel to be burned, more energy released, and more energy placed into the system that is the engine.

Really I provided no insight to this converstion in hindsight.... Interesting though right? :thumb:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Why not dump the edge, and buy good tunes from someone? I think that would be a good base start and go from there?

I have good tunes, or atleast I thought they were good other then towing, my race tune runs damn good.
I tried the edge just for comparing purposes. Only only keep it around for gauges, switching to an insight cts come payday anywho

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Post a pic of your "cold air" intake, is it pulling hot air from under the hood or does it have a box that separates it from the hot air from the stack? Does it over heat with the AC on? I think you need to find why your boost and EGTs are running hot and go from there. Even for a VVT 25 PSI stock on flat ground for extended amounts of time seems high to me.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I'll get one posted up. It's a full air raid kit with Lbz mp, has the metal box to help seperate hot air, seals against the good tho, probably needs an insulated lid build for it tho..