LLY: Where to put oil cooler?

Krystal_s

Oct 3, 2016
Hey guys, I am contemplating putting a oil cooler in my 04 lly. I was thinking about mounting the cooler behind the fuel cooler and mouno a fan as a puller. My question is is do you guys think it'll be to much stress on the pump? And would that location be ok because I don't want to cogest the cooling stack?

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I put mine under the truck between the transfer case and frame. If you off road with it I'd not recommend putting it under the truck you'd spend a lot of time cleaning it out. Up front in the grill is a good spot with a lot of air flow. Make sure you get a good flowing filter adaptor.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
-12 in the whole system if at all possible.

If you mount it in the front there may or may not be adequate room depending on what you have for a trans cooler and oil cooler you go with.

Attachments

• IMG_20160930_205404330.jpg
    IMG_20160930_205404330.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 125

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The lower part of the bumper is where I would install, in front of the intercooler/radiator just adds more heat to the stack which you don't need with the smaller cooling system on the LB7 and LLY and still would not install there on my LBZ. Still waiting on a sandwich adapter with a thermostat that does not need any modifications to enlarge the ports like most do with the Earls adapter..

Last edited:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
The lower part of the bumper is where I would install, in front of the intercooler/radiator just adds more heat to the stack which you don't need with the smaller cooling system on the LB7 and LLY and still would not install there on my LBZ. Still waiting on a sandwich adapter with a thermostat that does not need any modifications to enlarge the ports like most do with the Earls adapter..

Or mount it on the hood like a caddy emblem and get all the air.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

My bumper has no openings that would allow any sort of air so it would be a total useless hunk of aluminum down there.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
My bumper has no openings that would allow any sort of air so it would be a total useless hunk of aluminum down there.

Cut a hole....

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=589271&postcount=1
=
picture.php

=

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
:roflmao: no

Mine doesn't look anything like that to cut a hole would look like shit. It does just fine where it's at

If you say it will it work fine, I doubt it. You only drive your truck 20 minutes a day from what I have read, try June July and August especially August in town for about 4-5 hours at 120 degrees OAT and you'll find out how fast your engine gets heat soaked and runs like a slug. I drove quite a bit the first 2 summers I owned mine and what a slug and installing an oil cooler in that position is not optimal...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you say it will it work fine, I doubt it. You only drive your truck 20 minutes a day from what I have read, try June July and August especially August in town for about 4-5 hours at 120 degrees OAT and you'll find out how fast your engine gets heat soaked and runs like a slug. I drove quite a bit the first 2 summers I owned mine and what a slug and installing an oil cooler in that position is not optimal...

he really has no way to mount it like the GMC bumpers allow.

there is only so much you can do when you dont run an electric fan on the cooler. the next best setup is to run it in front of the cooling stack as he has done.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
he really has no way to mount it like the GMC bumpers allow.

there is only so much you can do when you dont run an electric fan on the cooler. the next best setup is to run it in front of the cooling stack as he has done.

Com'on James, you fabricate all the time, always a way just have to be creative...

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

I dont drive it much at all but when I do drive it it's at minimum 50-100 miles at a time. And I've sat in i10 traffic for long enough to know what it's like to get heat soaked, 2 hours a day each way for the first three summer months I was here I'm not stupid. Having it in the stack has to be better than no cooler at all, I don't see where else i could put it that would be beneficial and not get damaged. You sure seem to be an expert for someone that doesn't have an oil cooler...

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I dont drive it much at all but when I do drive it it's at minimum 50-100 miles at a time. And I've sat in i10 traffic for long enough to know what it's like to get heat soaked, 2 hours a day each way for the first three summer months I was here I'm not stupid. Having it in the stack has to be better than no cooler at all, I don't see where else i could put it that would be beneficial and not get damaged. You sure seem to be an expert for someone that doesn't have an oil cooler...

Go to the archives of DieselPlace and you'll learn something, oil cooler vs coolertowing.com. You having an oil cooler now makes you an expert not to mention predictable in your response as you were baited when I posted..:roflmao:

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Go to the archives of DieselPlace and you'll learn something, oil cooler vs coolertowing.com. You having an oil cooler now makes you an expert not to mention predictable in your response as you were baited when I posted..:roflmao:

No you are just a troll. I never said it would work, I haven't even tested it yet. I said how could it not make a difference. I'm not the first person to put one up there...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Hey guys, I am contemplating putting a oil cooler in my 04 lly. I was thinking about mounting the cooler behind the fuel cooler and mouno a fan as a puller. My question is is do you guys think it'll be to much stress on the pump? And would that location be ok because I don't want to cogest the cooling stack?

Been running a oil cooler for almost 300k between two trucks... Never had an issue with the oil pump..
No clue on the mouno fans.. definitely had really good luck with spal..
~60k btu and fan will make a substantial difference..

If warm temps run full flow... Is you see winter thermostat is recommended.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Com'on James, you fabricate all the time, always a way just have to be creative...

Well for me to build something, maybe but Sean isn't me lol. Even still, to try to make something aestheticly pleasing and fully functional won't really be there to go along with his look without a fan on the cooler.

You guys are making a big out of a very minor difference on unloaded trucks. If you were towing decent loads in the summer, gains could be made by a location change and fans but unloaded in traffic where you will see heat soak regardless of what's in front of the intercooler, you won't see much difference. A simple tune change can make a bigger difference in spool up than the heat soak and increases spool up time you would see.

Case in point, put 10-15k behind the truck, pull black canyon hill at 35mph in 113* weather and at the very top, stand on it like your going to pass a car/truck. You get lag for days from the major heat soak......

Matter of fact, the condenser is the biggest cause of heat soak over the trans cooler or even an oil cooler in front of the cooling stack. Turn the a/c off in the summer cruising down the highway and you will see a 50* drop in egt's alone