Wheel Studs

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i have broke two so far form TQing and couple other farting around... and another from the treads galling up. currently have one on the RR with fubared threads......

stock is 14mm with a .560"? shank

been thinking about upgrading to 5/8" studs

anyone done it pros cons?

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Maybe you could check with Kurt he probably has a unique torque sequence and rating to torque it to, but seriously, I dont have a set of wheel available here to test there all at my garage, but I would think you way have to modify lug holes to make the 5/8 fit, thats almost 16mm. Where are you breaking them? I havent heard of this being to common of a problem, maybe its just a fluke?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
usually its right were the threads meet the shank.

upgradeing to 5/8 tottal expect to have to drill out the holes in the wheels..

yes allum rims but will be switching between allum and steel

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
With anything I have found that most problems with breaking wheel studs are from crap in the threads. Few people take the time to clean out the threads when the nuts are off. When they are on for a long time them corrode and then you take them off and never clean them out and all the crap in the threads can make them FUBAR when you put them back on.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
With anything I have found that most problems with breaking wheel studs are from crap in the threads. Few people take the time to clean out the threads when the nuts are off. When they are on for a long time them corrode and then you take them off and never clean them out and all the crap in the threads can make them FUBAR when you put them back on.

i have found the same problem usualy relate to openened nuts... the broken 1 on removal that way..

since upgraded to closed end nut and put antisease inside havent had any problem till resently when i killed a tire on the 16th then galled the threads rendering the stud useless. apon removal

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
With open nuts I will sometimes take a wire brush to the stud befor I take the nut off to get some of the crap off.

It could have had a damaged thread from befor and just finally got bunged up:confused: