What's your fastest.....

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I'm pretty slow most of the time. I spend 93.7% of my time looking for the F*&$@g tool I just set down.

I had to change the fpr on my lly 3 times when I first bought it. I bet it took me 3 hours to change that stupid thing the first time. By the last time I could do it in about 45 minutes... including coolant refill.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Im going to install my egr blocker plate on my lly tomorrow.. Hopefully it wont take me nearly this long!!

I think mine took ~45 minutes as I put the plate on the wrong side of the gasket initially.

Corey

I'm not admitting to nothin' for the LBZ plate on mine, but taking a piece of 220 grit and a flat surface will let you know how flat the plate is NOT and when you do that I doubt it would make a difference which side...:confused:

BTY what side does it go on, remembering how things go together and back together sure helps....:rofl:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm pretty slow most of the time. I spend 93.7% of my time looking for the F*&$@g tool I just set down.

I had to change the fpr on my lly 3 times when I first bought it. I bet it took me 3 hours to change that stupid thing the first time. By the last time I could do it in about 45 minutes... including coolant refill.

Coolant fill for a FPR change?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I'm not admitting to nothin' for the LBZ plate on mine, but taking a piece of 220 grit and a flat surface will let you know how flat the plate is NOT and when you do that I doubt it would make a difference which side...:confused:

BTY what side does it go on, remembering how things go together and back together sure helps....:rofl:

The gasket needs to be on the riser side (up pipe) and the block plate between the gasket/riser and the cooler.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

The gasket needs to be on the riser side (up pipe) and the block plate between the gasket/riser and the cooler.

I don't recall which side I installed the plate on, I was watching the sundial.. :rofl:

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Coolant fill for a FPR change?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Yep. I remove the thermostat housing and a/c compressor and it is way easier to get to everything. You will even have room to turn a wrench.... almost.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you do it on the truck you have to remove the thermostat housings...

Yep. I remove the thermostat housing and a/c compressor and it is way easier to get to everything. You will even have room to turn a wrench.... almost.
Yep. Did my last FPR in a couple hours that way. Tstats, too. I remember all too well the nightmare that was my first FPR change on my truck.....

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah

I'm right there with you. I could chop down ALL of my repair times by having more of an eagle eye for the frickin' tool I need.

You guys are blazing fast. I usually get distracted by shiny things and spend the rest of the 6.3% of the time getting myself re-focused on the task at hand.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
64937e2bf1f362730bd5f5a2fcddea0d.jpg

d0ed42f2f5e1a4d8add62b5b27a1079c.jpg

I've been taking my time on this.. Although the blocker plate was extremely quick to put it. I broke the PVC trying to get it disconnected from the lly mp though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
i take that back, if you dad has an ultimate set of tools in his van, should be able to do it in 2 hours

I missed that part the other day, that is pretty funny, lol.

As long as your picking on me your letting someone else rest <-- that's what my dad always told me.....as he was looking for tools in his van.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I missed that part the other day, that is pretty funny, lol.

As long as your picking on me your letting someone else rest <-- that's what my dad always told me.....as he was looking for tools in his van.

:roflmao::roflmao:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Finally got around to doing my pump rub kit Friday. From the time I backed it in (well almost in, my shop is small and it wouldn't fit in) and got it on the lift (jack stands on one side) until the time I cleaned all tools and put them up took me 3 1/2 hours and a lot of that time was cleaning the housing/gaskets off. Glad I found both pieces of the clip and they hadn't torn anything up. Do you think some engineer fresh out of college thought the metal clip was a good idea and it would never give trouble? Could have probably done it in 2 1/2 hours had I not taken pictures and texted some people, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpg
    IMG_5777.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Finally got around to doing my pump rub kit Friday. From the time I backed it in (well almost in, my shop is small and it wouldn't fit in) and got it on the lift (jack stands on one side) until the time I cleaned all tools and put them up took me 3 1/2 hours and a lot of that time was cleaning the housing/gaskets off. Glad I found both pieces of the clip and they hadn't torn anything up. Do you think some engineer fresh out of college thought the metal clip was a good idea and it would never give trouble? Could have probably done it in 2 1/2 hours had I not taken pictures and texted some people, lol.

way back when i had pump rub the first time at 85k on the truck, i just threw a new case half in and called it a day. the merchant pump rub fix had just come out and was 200 bucks. alot of cash for this college kid back then, specially when the case half was 150 bucks then. i threw it in fully expecting to have to put a pump rub plate in after another 85k. I tore the t-case down i think 2 years ago to install the kennedy pump rub plate (didnt even know they had them when i first did it) and fix some worn parts. Case had a total of 190k on it and the clip was still in tact with no signs of wear. mind you, thats a magnesium case half i put back on (2007ish so aluminum t-case just came out) and she had 37s added, a shit ton more hp, and my driving.

sure as heck not to say others will have the same, more of me just being surprised as hell that it was all still good!