LMM: Whats next?

BigChief

Jun 29, 2009
Its the off season for racing, and i need a little break from working on the race car. My modifications are in my sig. I am doing guages this weekend hopefully, but what would you guys consider should be my next step. This is a daily driver/tow rig. I want a legit reliable high 12 second truck. I have a few things on my mind, but maybe you guys have a few things in mind from your experience.

tie rods?
downpipe?
converter?
water meth?

?
?
?
?

Thanks guys!

BigChief

Jun 29, 2009
i wanna do the dsp 5 but i have a question....When i switch tunes or change anything major in my tune i have now, it takes a lil while for the trans to learn and act right. Whats the point of having dsp5 if you still have to wait for the trans to come around. Im not into beating on the trans before it learns whats going on.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
when you first build your tranny its going to shift all sorts of weird until it re-learns. when i go from a small daily driving tune to my max effort it always takes a few good full throttle runs and she shifts perfect.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
i wanna do the dsp 5 but i have a question....When i switch tunes or change anything major in my tune i have now, it takes a lil while for the trans to learn and act right. Whats the point of having dsp5 if you still have to wait for the trans to come around. Im not into beating on the trans before it learns whats going on.

It's just the nature of the beast man. That's just how these transmissions work. Just be sure that you don't follow my suit. Sometimes I'll get ahead of myself and excited at a stop light. I'll go from an Eco tune to my 3rd tune and get on it from a stop. The tranny def let's me know that it didn't like it when it shifts excessively hard into 2nd and my ass end goes all over the place.

Trans should be your next mod. IMHO I would do it like this.
Intake
Exhaust
Gauges
Trans
Efi live.

That could net you an easy 500+ rwhp with the right tuning.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA

That is exactly why I don't have a DSP switch in my truck... It's all controlled with my right foot :driving:

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
That is exactly why I don't have a DSP switch in my truck... It's all controlled with my right foot :driving:

X2, I'm sure it can be tuned to work right when switched, but that's gonna take more time than I have.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I would say a Better tie rod or sleeves and a straight center link. One my Lbz with sleeves and cognito braces the front tires would toe in when going down the track.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
PAT what size nitrous jet are you running? Any idea how much rwhp you pick up when you spray?

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Recipe for a 12 second Dmax: good EFI tune, fully built trans, pipe, lift pump, tie rod sleeves.

If set up right this combination will put any generation Dmax into the 12s and over 500 wheel with the right tuning. Sleeves by themselves will work but make sure your torsions are all the way down when doing 4wd launches.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
boy, all this good info and no one stated "make sure your build platform is in good shape first" :D

First off, id makes sure both your tie rods and idler/pitman arm are tight and show no signs of wear. if there is any play, replace them as keeping our tires straight on launch is already hard enough to do. Also double check your wheel bearing/ball joints/and a general once over like your prepping for a long trip and dont want any problems.

Id then look at getting a built trans, tie rod sleeves if your steering is healthy, a set of cognito braces atleast and a lift pump. once you get a 12s tune on the truck, your gunna need to make sure everything is running at its best to get a solid 12 number. SO making sure your fuel system is keeping up with the tune demand is essencial. If rail pressure is not holding steady, your loosing HP and ET.