Allison 5sp: What type of locktite to use on converter bolts??

Dzlnut

Feb 27, 2008
Homedale Idaho
It is a long story but my converter took a dump because i put a used one in when i did my stage IV and i have a new 1056 comming this week. My question is i put in new set of suncoast converter bolts 2 months ago...what type of locktite do i need to put on the bolts when i install the new converter??

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Otherwise Blue.

If you ever have problems getting a locktited bolt out, just use a torch and it will melt the locktite, which is a plastic. Remove while hot if possible.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
New Allison bolts come coated IIRC. They are cheap and Mike L usually has them in stock.

i believe he has an suncoast converter which require the shorter bolts supplied and to use red loctite, plus he should be able to reuse his existing bolts.

Last edited:

Dzlnut

Feb 27, 2008
Homedale Idaho
Are new bolts supplied with a new converter?? I just bought new bolts when i had it appart 2 months ago..i was hoping to just add some locktite.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Are new bolts supplied with a new converter?? I just bought new bolts when i had it appart 2 months ago..i was hoping to just add some locktite.

the new converter should come with new bolts. the old ones are fine to reuse though. you will probably just have some as spares now.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
My converter came with new bolts. I think I remember a disclaimer from Suncoast stating if the new bolts werent used the waranty on the converter was no good.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
My converter came with new bolts. I think I remember a disclaimer from Suncoast stating if the new bolts werent used the waranty on the converter was no good.

that statement/disclaimer is in regards to the factory converter bolts. you can't use the factory converter bolts with an aftermarket converter. if you do that you will have issues as they are longer. reusing of the bolts that come with the converter is fine in my opinion. in this case since he will be getting new ones with the converter, he might as well use them.

Last edited:

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
that wasn't necessarily directed towards you. i apologize. it seems to me though that if somebody doesn't get information from a certain person regarding their question, they don't consider it to be true. once again, i do apologize.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
that wasn't necessarily directed towards you. i apologize. it seems to me though that if somebody doesn't get information from a certain person regarding their question, they don't consider it to be true. once again, i do apologize.

Nothing wrong with using converter bolts over if they are cleaned and locktighted. I choose not to do that for a reason because they strech and will shear off. I get payed well to do what I do and people expect the best of my ability. They deserve a set of new 6.00 dollar bolts.
As far as your apology; you are full of shit. you meant every word and that is fine with me, just don't hide it. If you have a difference in opinion, state it. Let the members decide how they will use the info. That's what this board is all about.